4.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very Good, But Muse's Weakest Album So Far, October 3, 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
I'm a serious Muser, so there was no question I was going to buy this album. When the trailer came out with a bit of Unsustainable several months ago, I loved it..heavy riffs, dubstep with real instruments, sounded good to me, and I don't listen to much electronic stuff or dubstep in general. Then Survival, which is over the top and made me smile. This is one of those Muse songs that people have been hating, but it's so much fun, and the band isn't taking themselves too seriously here. When Matt sings, "I'll never lose" on the second verse, you can practically see the smirk on his face. Then came Madness...which everyone from Rolling Stone to Chris Martin seems to love. On my first listen, I thought "What the hell is this crap? Are they kidding?" I was worried I wouldn't like The 2nd Law much. However, there have been other Muse songs that I didn't like at first (Filip, Knights of Cydonia, even United States of Eurasia), but after 2-3 listens I LOVED them. With Madness, it took 30-40 listens on the radio (yes, really, that many) before I finally liked it.

My first impression of the full album was good, but it's definitely not as good as any of their previous albums. That doesn't mean it isn't good though, I will probably like it more and more as time goes on. Supremacy is a great track, sounds like Muse which is what I had hoped. Madness, I like, but it took a while to get there. Panic Station is an very groovy funk track with a very 80's feel and I loved it right away. I love Survival, but I wish the beautiful orchestral intro was not a separate track, it should've been one longer track instead. I loved Follow Me, a sweet song about Matt becoming a father and I like all the synth-y stuff. Animals, Exporers, and Big Freeze are all good songs, but it all gets a bit slow during these songs, I wish they rocked a little harder. I'm still a bit meh with Explorers, and Big Freeze sounds so much like U2, you'd think The Edge is playing guitar instead of Matt. I'm sure this one will grow on me, though.

When I found out Chris wrote and sings lead vocals on 2 songs on this album, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. What's a Muse song without Matt's insanely amazing vocals? They are both good songs, Save Me kind of a slow song (again), but with great lyrics. Chris said in an interview that Matt was excited about not singing so he could really go crazy on guitar with Liquid State..this is one of the heavier tracks on the album, its great,but it could've gone a lot farther. Matt, WHERE'S THE GUITAR SOLO?? All I can say is he better really go crazy with this one when they play it live.

With Unsustainable and Isolated System, I think they are both excellent, so sick!! Unsustainable finally rocks hard where the other songs were lacking, however on both songs I would liked more of Matthew's voice and less of the talky British news lady. Isolated system is just beautiful.

ADD ON: At this point I've heard the album a couple more times, it's getting better and better each time. Muse rules!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 10:31:58 PM PDT
doob says:
Half of this is probably "The Resistance" B-sides. If you compare the songs on each record, "The Resistance" is far more prolific.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 10:31:01 PM PDT
Lucy Truong says:
"Matt, WHERE'S THE GUITAR SOLO?? All I can say is he better really go crazy with this one when they play it live."
"however on both songs I would liked more of Matthew's voice and less of the talky British news lady. Isolated system is just beautiful."

I agree with you on so many of these points haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 1:51:14 PM PDT
How crazily good would a muse album be if they went all-out and did a whole album of songs like showbiz, citizen erased, Stockholm syndrome, knights of cydonia, etc. When muse really ROCK OUT they're at their best.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:28:33 AM PST
"Overall I like this album quite a lot. But, in comparison to Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes, even Resistance, it just doesn't quite measure up. Listen to Madness, then listen to Citizen Erased, Hysteria, or Map of the Problematique. You can't tell me Madness, or any song off this album, frankly, is their best work, because it's just not even close."

Exactly!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (534 customer reviews)

Reviewer