5.0 out of 5 stars Major upgrade for Office, February 25, 2007
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 [Old Version] (Software)
While Office 2003 offered a refreshed look and some improvements in functionality, the basic structure remained the same. While veteran users were able to easily navigate the familiar menus, it had become increasingly difficult to locate some features (for instance, in Word, would you find "insert new rows" to a table in the "insert" or "table" menu?).

With Office 2007, Microsoft offers the "ribbon", a new and more intuitive way to access features that we used to find in the menus. While the features are basically the same, they are now grouped together according to when and how you would normally use them. These groupings are accessed by clicking on tabs, which are organized in the order you'd use them. The best way to get a better understanding of this change is to check out the screenshots, or download a free trial version of Office from Microsoft. While Office 2007 was released at the same time as Vista, you do not need Vista in order to run it. The program ran fine on my Windows XP laptop, which only had 512 MB of RAM, and it runs even better on my Vista laptop with 2 GB of RAM.

As for which version of Office to buy, this is the third time I've opted for the Home and Student version (which has had other names in previous releases, but is still being sold for $149). I need Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and this is the most cost-effective way to get those programs. I was disappointed that Microsoft dropped Outlook from the Home and Student version. In order to continue to use Outlook, I installed Outlook 2003 and haven't had any problems.

Instead of Outlook, you get OneNote, a program that uses notebooks and tabs to save and organize all sorts of files and documents. I haven't had much time to play with OneNote yet, but the more I use it, the more impressed I am with it. It looks like one of those programs that you can personalize to meet your own needs and not have to fight with it to get it to do what you want.

This is a significant upgrade and should allow all users, new and experienced, to work more efficiently and quickly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2007 8:05:39 AM PDT
HollyNFred says:
You mentioned that since the 2007 Home and Student version no longer include Outlook, you installed Outlook 2003 with no problems; did you do this under Windows Vista or XP? Thank you in advance for your response.

Posted on Oct 20, 2007 4:01:25 PM PDT
dazie says:
hey had a question for you, my friend says that the Word version 2007 on this CD, wont let you read or open older versions of Word, im currently using Word 2000 and it saves it as a .doc file, he says this new version has word files saved as .docx, have you had any problems with conversions of new files of word, or opening older versions of Word ?? Thanks..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 10:13:23 PM PST
Mark says:
You can open or save files in either .doc or .docx format. From the left menu button choose the "save as" option and select your desired format from the drop down. No conversion issues, just annoying that the default is .docx. You can change your default format as well in your options.

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 4:55:39 PM PST
ismene says:
Outlook Express is not mentioned as being included. I don't really want to use Outlook, and I don't know where to download Outlook 2003. If I did download Outlook, would I lose all of my email in Outlook Express?

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 11:30:29 AM PDT
I have found Microsoft One Note to be a Godsend, from writing extensive research papers, completing review sheets, and organizing birthdays and addresses. It is weird at first, but after a couple of uses, I find it amazing. :D

Posted on Jun 25, 2009 3:28:17 PM PDT
I really have to wonder if you work for MicroSoft in some capacity. The "ribbon" is close to becoming the biggest Redmond-spawned joke since MS "Bob".

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 11:59:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2009 12:02:28 PM PDT
S. Vitello says:
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

I agree - 2007 is written for "intuitive use" - since I never used Vista I can't compare it to that but I am going to in order to see if it is possibly a form of VISTA.

It is good for a first time user who takes the time to do the tutorials, but difficult as an upgrade for people who have used Windows since Win 95.

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 3:53:36 PM PDT
S. raina says:
Is this one computer user or can be installed on 3 computers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2009 5:39:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2009 5:41:13 PM PDT
S. Vitello says:
I started this. I am 64 and have visual problems and (due to an accident) some loss of visual memory. I started with Win95 at school and Win98 and home. Then at a later job moved up to Office 2003. I had some problems at first with it but our IT representative was able to help me and then I could see the advantage over Win98 - but still able to easily use it. I think it is odd they feel the need to get rid of things - if you don't want a part of the software, it just sits there. Now that we have plaenty of memory the sizes of programs aren't a problem. I miss Access too because I like databases. I learned how to use them in DOS (a long time ago). Access is still being used in Mail Merge - but that is not the point.

If Microsoft continually upgrades not just in order to help us but to get us to buy - spend more money since they are retailers - the upgrades are okay - but not the "we will no longer back this ..... version" dates that they post. Anyway - hope you posters keep helping these people who respond with questions. I think someday OneNote may be my favorite too - I have had some files I couldn't save and OneNote popped up and saved them.

S. Vitello

Posted on Sep 25, 2009 10:33:57 AM PDT
Tassadar says:
The reason why the software no longer includes Outlook is because Micro$oft is going to drop support for it. It was replaced with Windows Mail which is currently being replaced with Windows Live Mail. I know it is totally confusing, but these new programs are availiable for free from Micro$soft and have more features.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (2,369 customer reviews)
 (1,273)