4.0 out of 5 stars Man starts diet, consumes slabs of protein, begins to see some success, March 23, 2011
This review is from: The Dukan Diet: 2 Steps to Lose the Weight, 2 Steps to Keep It Off Forever (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Attack Phase, After Seven Days: Minus 11 pounds. Felt pretty crappy until day three, then just as the good diet doctor predicted, started feeling better. No hunger or craving but getting bored with broiled chicken breast and non-fat yogurt.

Must admit I am beginning to enjoy that little morsel called a Dukan Oat Bran Galette (mini pancake made with oat bran, egg white, non-fat Greek yogurt, artificial sweetener - recipe included in book).

Cruise Phase, After One Week & One Day: Minus 16 pounds total and still going strong: I've chosen to do two all-protein days followed by five protein-and-vegetable days.

Worst of it is going without a beer or vodka martini at least once in awhile. Looking forward to the day when I reach Cruise Phase goal and can have alcohol again. At an estimated loss of two pounds a week during the Cruise Phase, I have at least another two months to go before having that martini. That's a long time and a pretty big commitment to the Dukan Diet. But it does seem to be working.

Other than the ban on alcohol, the regimen to me hasn't been too difficult to follow. Time will test not only perseverance but whether we Dukan dieters will be able to maintain our weight loss.

Millions of French and Europeans have tried the program, which consists of four phases: Attack, Cruise, Consolidation and Stabilization. It's a high-protein, low fat, almost zero carbohydrate recipe for weight loss. Oh, yes and a quart and a half of water to flush the kidneys and at least 20 minutes of exercise a day and no escalators or elevators. Those last items, Dukan insists are "non-negotiable."

There are 3.5 million of the diet books in print in French in addition to a gazillion copies in what the publisher says are 14 languages including English and now, American. In addition to an introduction to the diet and its four phases, the book contains a long list of allowed foods and an extensive collection of many tantalizing recipes, for example "Tandoori Chicken Escalodes" or "Turgloff Beef Kabobs." Mmmm, sounds good and filling, too. I also appreciated the fact that there are recipes for various "legal" sauces, such as "Diet Bearnaise" and Dukan Herb Mayonnaise" that add some zest and even zing to your slab of protein.

Will we Americans jump on the diet bandwagon? The book has been on the French best-seller list for more than ten years. Dukan says in the introduction he resisted publishing here because the North American audience scared him.

Being overweight appears to be a problem that "is more difficult in America than anywhere else." Deciding to publish now, Dukan says, represents "His greatest challenge and his greatest risk."

Time will tell whether he succeeds or fails. For me at least, I've lost 16 pounds in 15 days and gained two notches on my belt. Other than a martini, what I need most right now is encouragement and the motivation to keep going.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2011 12:44:14 PM PDT
Keep it up! What exactly is allowed in phase 1? Are veggies and fruits truly cut out?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 3:39:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2011 3:39:41 PM PDT
Rett01 says:
Oh, Sofia. It's protein only. Except for three Big T of oat bran each day. But it's only 5-10 days.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 6:48:37 PM PDT
SusyQ says:
I really enjoyed reading your inspiring review, i wish you even more success in your journey, you are doing great!

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 5:56:06 AM PDT
MammaMeow says:
Good Luck man, I'm thinking about trying this diet (I like the way it sounds). Have fun and Enjoy! Hope you reach that martini sooner than you think!

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 7:57:16 AM PDT
Munch's Mom says:
I found your review very honest and inspiring. Congrats on your success.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 2:34:55 PM PDT
Rett01 says:
Dear Munch, thanks for encouragement. More protein, always more protein. But it's continuing to work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 5:55:48 PM PDT
MammaMeow says:
So how many pounds have you lost so far? and how are you doing maintaining the diet restrictions?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 7:03:42 PM PDT
Rett01 says:
Dear Meow: You would ask wouldn't you? Six weeks in, I'm now on Cruise w/ 2 days protein and 5 days protein plus veggies. Here's the score: down a total of 24 pounds. Started fast first two weeks. Now losing average of 2 pounds a week. Am trying to stay away from red meat. Getting protein mostly from fish, tofu (which I'm starting to enjoy, especially stir fried w/ veggies), and non-fat yogurt. Not hungry but crave things occasionally. And if my wife doesn't stop bringing Girl Scout cookies into the house I may go nuts. The other night I dreamed I was sipping an ice cold vodka martini (straight up w/ a twist) and having a smoke. I quit that habit 20 years ago, so go figure. So there you have it, a status report. Three belt notches down.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 12:57:45 PM PDT
AWESOME Rett01!!! You are doing Great! I began the diet today....I have only ever needed very little diet modification in the past as I was always very athletic and out-doorsy...and I read through Atkin's diet book and practiced Atkins for about 3 years...However, I am nearing 50 and am seeing the arrival of the great change in life for women....had surgery on my neck last Fall, and have gained weight like I've never seen my body do before!!! I found my Thyroid was very low and was placed on supplements...so now I've begun to try to get my muscle tone back with working out, but this weight is stubborn and doesn't want to come off! I have been dismayed with how difficult it has been for me, especially since I've always eaten only 1/2 portions (probably 1100 cal/day), but have had to cut THOSE by 1/2 again....I've managed to stop the 1+ pound daily gain, but am holding at about 20pounds more than my "True Weight". So, I've started the diet today with great hopes! I got the book yesterday and read most of it. I believe in the concept and know I can do it, though the hardest part for me will be making myself eat. I don't necessarily like too much meat, but I do like eggs. Making myself eat so my body doesn't consume my muscle tissue will be important. I agree with you about no alcohol. My husband and I enjoy a cold beer or a Martini...but I guess what I have to say about that is what do I want more, my "girlish figure" or an alcoholic beverage....I think I can muster the self-discipline to stay away from beer and booze!!! Hey, good luck getting to your "true weight" and keep up the awesome work!!! Keep watching the website for the Dukan diet, I think they may have coaching coming soon, which might be a form of encouragement for you!!! Kudos!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 5:33:37 PM PDT
Rett01 says:
Java Bean, keep at it and stay motivated.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›