1,279 of 1,310 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but could be better, December 22, 2007
This review is from: The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle (Kindle Edition)
I currently pay $35 a month for a six-day subscription to the print edition. The Kindle edition only costs $14 a month. So, if the Kindle edition of the NYT can replace my print subscription, the Kindle pays for itself in just over a year and a half and I get the Sunday NYT 'for free'. Beyond that, the Kindle edition doesn't involve killing trees or using noxious chemicals to turn them into paper, and beaming my paper to me every morning takes a lot less fossil fuel than trucking trees to a mill, trucking paper to a press, then delivering the printed paper to my driveway. Plus, I never have to go out in the cold or the rain to find my paper in the bushes or under my car; I should never have to deal with a missed paper, which happens once or twice a month with my delivery service; I never have to suspend delivery when I go on a trip; and my newspaper will actually go with me.

So, I have a lot of incentive to like the NYT on the Kindle.

After three days, I'm still not sure if I do.

On the plus side, my biggest worry before my Kindle arrived turns out to be a non-starter. I wondered how I'd take to reading the news on a screen only a few paragraphs big. As promised, this is not an issue. After a very short time, you don't really notice the paging any more than you notice turning the page of a book, or moving your eyes to the next column. I've read a whole novel without any annoyance, and actually find the comfortably sized Kindle less of a hassle than a broadsheet newspaper. (My SO is looking forward to no more piles of old newspapers on the kitchen table, even if that means our 13 yo won't be reading the paper any more.)

Also, I find I really don't miss the experience of flipping through the paper, looking for those interesting stories that didn't make the front page. You can browse section by section, and paging through a section a story at a time is really not bad.

You can store a lot of days worth of news in a stock Kindle, and can search them all quickly; you can store even more if you add a cheap SD card. In the unlikely event that the Times uses a word you don't know, you can quickly look it up with the Kindle's great search feature.

On the minus side, comparing my print edition to the Kindle edition, I can see that the print edition includes stories that the Kindle edition does not. I'm really not sure quite what to make of this: so far, at least, I'm actually reading more of the paper than I used to, because I can carry my Kindle to work and read articles in dead time. It's hard to know how to balance not even seeing some stories vs reading a lot more of them. (I do know that I really miss the Market Gauges pages even if, realistically, I only look at them a few times a month.)

A less ambiguous minus is the pictures, which (to use a technical term) really suck. They're hard to make out, and there's a max of one per story, no matter how many there are in the print version. Even worse, many of the pictures and - so far as I can see - ALL the charts and graphs are omitted. This hurts business coverage; I haven't seen a Science Section yet, but I imagine this will be really painful.

So. Convenience, greenness, and economics vs the loss of maybe 15% of the content. This is a hard call, for me, and I sure wish the NYT would make it easier by including the missing content.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2008 5:25:29 PM PDT
soddy says:
I have the same concerns as the individual posting this review. One of the things I truly enjoy about the NYT is the outstanding quality of the photography associated with some of the key stories. It really adds to my appreciation of the paper, so I'm afraid I'd be a bit 'let down' if using a Kindle diminished the visual element of what I read.

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 3:07:01 AM PST
it convinced me not to get nyt in kindle, the same happened when i ordered time magazine

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 12:24:53 PM PST
C. Hoffman says:
What happens if I'm not in a 3-G area at 5:30 a.m.? Is the edition saved until I am or do I just miss out?

Posted on May 17, 2010 6:37:45 PM PDT
An informative and helpful review indeed! Thanks for sharing your views.

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 6:12:31 PM PDT
babs says:
I would not minimize the significance of having a print edition lying around for a young person to come across, and find something of interest in. Count it as part of his/her education costs..........those are the habits that we teachers hope become set from childhood. Mine did! I am new to Kindle, but still (at week 2) want my print editions of the paper, just to have the joy of a newspaper. Something about a newspaper is comforting. I am happy with the books, however.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 7:01:34 PM PDT
Alex. Y. says:
At $20 / month and missing content and photos. Kindle NYT is starting to look like a huge minus.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 10:38:26 AM PST
JustMe says:
If I had a thirteen year old in the house, I'd be very concerned if s/he didn't have access to a newspaper. How sorry I feel for the children/adults today who will never have that anticipation of actually holding a newly delivered newspaper before their first cup of coffee.

When my children first started to read, I'd cut out articles I thought appropriate so they would understand that the newspaper wasn't all that 'big' and was 'readable -- even by you! I'd place the articles on the frig and each one of them would anticipate the next day's article. Eventually, they'd be reading the newspapers on their own.

Today, all three love reading, with one being a writer.

And yes, I read the newspapers on line and yes, the graphics and pictures are clearer and better. But for some reason, the tangible feel of a newspaper in one's hands can't be replaced by seeing one article at a time on a Kindle. Nor can the anticipation of a new magazine (with it's smell) or a book be replaced by a Kindle.

Do I want a Kindle? Sure. Will I buy a Kindle eventually? Perhaps.

Hopefully, whoever wrote this will share the newspaper experience with their thirteen year old by sending him links to articles they can share and discuss.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 12:20:18 PM PDT
Russ Palmeri says:
The NYTimes Kindle sub now includes the nytimes.com website content as well. That may answer some of this reader's problems.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 8:46:51 PM PST
G. Palmer says:
Kindle NYT sounds a lot like Air Reader NYT. I've subscribed to the Air ed. since it's release several years ago, and read it on an HP netbook. But I also miss the photos and general layout of print as well as the more obscure stories contained in print. My compromise, Air NYT during the week and print edition on Sunday. (And now I can walk to the corner market for the weekend paper and a cup of joe!)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 11:29:56 PM PST
A newspaper is hardly the greatest portal to the wide world that one could have in their home. As long as one has a computer in the house with access to the Web, the child has an entire world of information at their disposal that many of us couldn't have dreamed of when we were their age.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›