3.0 out of 5 stars Samsung features missing from AT&T firmware - No MultiView (Split Screen), etc. - ***UPDATE, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Titanium 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
***UPDATE (1/5/13): Finally!!! ATT just pushed OTA firmware update in CA (now with Multiview!). So I've bumped my rating from 1 to 3 stars to commemorate this auspicious occasion (only 3 stars because it took them so long and they were so entirely negligent in communicating the status of this update to their customers). Long wait aside, I'm very happy to see this update.

~~~~Pre-Update Review:
The single star is for AT&T's stripped down version of this phone and not Samsung's truly awesome full version (which I love).

Be aware that the AT&T version of the Galaxy Note II is currently missing various standard functionalities that Samsung is marketing and the other major carriers provide. Admittedly, even without the missing features, the GN2 is still a pretty impressive device. However, if you (like me) were expecting something much closer to the full functionality that Samsung is marketing, you should at least be aware of what's missing (so as to correspondingly lower your expectations of the device you're actually going to receive from AT&T).

For me, the most significant missing functionality is the lack of the mulitview utility. Multiview is touted in the Samsung marketing and I feel is one of the premier features of the GN2. As some may already know, multiview allows you to select certain apps from a sidebar menu and then to concurrently view/operate a select two of those apps in a shared split screen mode (Fyi - Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and International versions currently include this functionality). Note: The multiview functionality is in addition to (and should not be confused with) the other more limited multitasking features that the AT&T version does provides (i.e., concurrent, layered viewing of video, browser, and Snote); although those functions are not rendered in a ready split screen view.

I've read that some AT&T CSR's/store clerks have indicated that an update will be arriving "soon" to provide the missing functionality. If that's true, I find it conspicuous that AT&T has not officially indicated a release date for this much desired functionality. You can search "Samsung Galaxy Note 2 MultiView firmware - WHEN?" in the AT&T support forums for a more detailed user discussion. Also search "AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II Review" by phonedog on youtube if you're interested in a side by side comparison of with/without functionality.

I've also read (but have not confirmed) that AT&T Note 2 SG-I317's other missing functionalities include:
~Group Shot Camera mode - with the ability to change faces
~Mobile data toggle
~Blocking mode toggle
~Screen Recorder

Please add comments (citing source) if you happen to have any qualifying info on this subject. I'd especially like to see a comment from an official AT&T representative with a definitive date (or even approximate - month/year) we can expect a firmware update that will provide the functionality that Samsung is marketing and all the other major carriers are providing.

Caveat emptor and all that sort of thing,

Sunny

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 5:57:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:59:48 PM PST
I plan to get this phone early next year when I renew my AT&T contract. I did a quick Google search and per http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-note-2/223454-no-multi-tasking-t-note-2-a.html an "over the air" (OTA) upgrade will install these missing features soon. I am taking these statements on "good faith" from the "power users" on that forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:00:38 AM PST
Sunny Days says:
Hi Luther, thanks for the link. I think you're going to love your new phone, it's very impressive! And yes, I've also seen a lot of posts saying that they expect the missing features to be provided "soon". But if you look at the dates on the earliest posts, it looks like they've been expecting it "soon" for months. I've read that Samsung provided the full functionality to all the US carriers at the same time. But ATT (for some unknown reason) has withheld it from their customers with no word as to why they did or when they will provide it. A lot of folks consider the multiview feature to be one of the most impressive features on this (or any) phone and for ATT to withhold it without explanation is frustrating to say the least. Especially when everyone else has it!!! That being said, it looks like there might be enough ATT customers being vocal about this that I expect they will address it sooner than later.

Also, I've been jailbreaking my iphones for years. If you're the type that likes to tinker, I highly recommend it. It's important to read up before you do this but I think it's worth the work (it's amazing what these devices can do when properly configured). This is my first android device and I'm still coming up to speed with it. I plan to root it in the near future which will make ATT firmware blissfully irrelevant. :)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 11:49:20 AM PST
Atarkiss says:
Did the update fix the group camera mode and everything else as well as the Multitasking or just the Multitasking?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:45:41 PM PST
Sunny Days says:
Fyi - These aren't definitive answers (i.e., I just took a quick look on my phone to see what I could find). You can find out for sure by searching online -or maybe someone out there knows for sure and will comment with the specifics.

~Group Shot Camera Mode - I found a camera setting called Best Faces (used to be called Best Group Shot). Not sure if that what the OP (in the forum I originally read that info in) meant by "Group Shot Camera Mode" or not?
~Mobile Data Toggle - I could not find this toggle. I read it's not available from any US carrier. However, you can turn on/off your mobile data by going to Settings > More Settings > Mobile networks > and then checking/unchecking the Mobile Data checkbox. But no handy toggle.
~Blocking Mode Toggle - I could not find this toggle. However, the blocking feature itself is there and can be turned on/off/configured from Settings > Blocking mode. But again, no handy toggle.
~Screen Recorder - I was not able to perform a screen recording. I did see a youtube video of it being done. But the method they used to start screen recording did not work on my phone. And I saw a lot of comments mentioning that they were not able to get their GN2 to make a screen recording.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›