1.0 out of 5 stars Another Lost Sale Due to DRM, July 16, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis Maximum Edition (Computer Game)
I was looking forward to purchasing this game, as I was looking forward to purchase Mirror's Edge. However, once I learned that EA had included SecuRom (a form of DRM); I knew that EA had yet again lost me as a customer.

Let me make it clear that I believe EA has the right to protect their software - as long as the software is installed on my computer. The fact that SecuRom actually encourages piracy is another issue. The issue for me is the fact that uninstalling the game does not remove SecuRom. In fact, SecuRom is designed to prevent the average person from removing it from his or her computer short of reformatting the hard drive. The removal tool that that is available from the company that created SecuRom does not remove the program.

The reason it is so hard to remove is the fact that the software embeds null characters into the Windows registry listing for the SecurRom program. RegEdit simply will not remove a listing from the registry that has null characters embedded in it. There is software (freeware) available that will remove these types of entries, but you need to extensively research the web to find it. To say the SecuRom software is rude is to greatly understate the issue.

If the purpose of the SecuRom software is to prevent the piracy of the software, then why did the manufacturer of the software make it so hard to remove after the game software has been removed? What information does it provide and who does it provide it to? Computer security is so important that installing a game with SecuRom is simply too much of a risk

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2009 8:08:04 AM PDT
SweetDaddy says:
Your right, but It's a program out called Trash Keys Finder that gets rid of this crap. just go here (http://www.databack4u.com/snc/download/trashreg.zip) I just used it to get rid of all my DRM problems.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 8:35:09 AM PDT
While I agree with you on the whole intrusion factor, I don't get how you can review a game that you haven't played. This was a review of SecuRom and nothing else.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 10:27:02 PM PDT
I agree. This isn't reason enough to trash a game. The developer had no choice on the matter and shouldn't be shunned because of the distributor.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 5:16:41 AM PDT
SecuRom is part of the game and prevents me from having the gaming experience. I therefore feel it is valid to review it as part of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 8:24:16 PM PDT
I agree with cheez. Damn if I'm not sick of looking for reviews for PC games and coming across nothing but 1 star reviews that warn about the DRM. I'd love to see them change this too, but it truly does interrupt the scoring scale. This does nothing to review the game - yep I get it - SecuRom ruins the experience. So let's go to Amazon and boycott it on every applicable game. Meanwhile I get to wade through all the meaningless reviews to find out how decent this version of the game is. I went from boycotting DRM games because of principle to boycotting DRM games so you people will actually contribute useful information.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2010 10:16:14 AM PDT
T. Hollins says:
I see the points of these posts. One assumes the following about your review:
1) You have not played the Store copy. I assume you are reviewing this games based on a cracked copy.
2) You bought a copy of this game but did not install it. Instead you played the cracked copy. Hence satisfying all the people out there who assume piracy is only to steal. When in reality piracy is committed in order to keep malware and remote monitoring tools off the computers we have purchased. The computers belong to us. It would be like saying Toyota can put any monitoring in my car so that I do not commit any crimes using that vehicle.
I always thought this game was waycool. I've never had time to play it. Thanks for the heads up on the DRM measures. Maybe they'll outlaw these posts that "point out" DRM and countermeasures. That would be the next logical step for the publishers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 8:28:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2010 8:33:23 PM PDT
Most of us are not rating the game play (have you read the reviews?). We are rating the fact that this product could ruin your computer or at the lest compromise your security with it's DRM. You may not see that DRM as part of the game and yet you cannot play the game without it, therefor it IS part of the game and as subject to review as the rest of the game.

As a 'DRM' game the two (game and DRM) are as a dichotomy inseparable. If one aspect is unforgivably horrible (DRM) and the other (play quality) is perfect then the game is still crap.

Look at it this way: The game is great: great graphics, great ideas, groundbreaking in every way...except when it destroys you rig. Therefore the game is crap. QED.

To Boil it down even more: I'm saying that if there is a chance a game and it's 'minor add-ons' could ruin my computer then regardless of play quality of said game the game is crap. No matter how subjectively great the game is, it will never be worth the risk.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 8:30:28 PM PDT
Perfect explanation of the fact that the game and DRM are inseparable and should be reviewed as one entity. Thank you for your concise critique.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 8:39:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2010 8:43:26 PM PDT
The reason why reviewers post warnings in lieu of a game-play review is that this is a web-site where you -purchase- software first and foremost and warning people of defective software is not only welcomed but is pretty commonplace in a retailer website. ( Newegg is a perfect example )In my opinion, this trumps game-play/graphic reviews any day of the week..I had to empty out over 60% of my shopping cart due to info gleaned from these reviews, the first time I heard of DRM was courtesy of these valuable reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 12:19:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2010 1:11:00 AM PDT
jomojomo says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (182 customer reviews)

$39.99 $9.99