4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but..., October 16, 2011
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Graphite) (Electronics)
I have been a kindle owner for years and currently own the Kindle with Keyboard. I thought replacing the KwK for the new $79 version would be a no-brainer but after having lived with the $79 model for a few weeks I am returning it. Here's why:

I won't go into all the positives since there are plenty of positive reviews already, but for me the best things about this model was its light weight and price.

The negatives that led me to return it are these:

1) Lack of 3G. I use my kindle for newspapers and so it needs to update every day. And true, most places have internet but I have been in several hotels recently that don't have wireless so it is a pain to have to pull out the laptop and do a manual transfer. Also, when I visit friends or relatives for the weekend, I want to get my newspapers but I don't want to bug them for their wireless password and spend the time setting it up. So the KwK's free 3G was a huge part of the decision.

2) Button placement: I am right-handed and the KwK's square button is located right where my thumb naturally sits. Made for easy reading and navigation. With the $79 model's button located in the middle, I have to stretch my hand and/or turn the kindle at an angle to comfortably change pages. It makes a big difference when reading a newspaper which requires more button pushing than when reading just a book.

3) Page turning buttons: The KwK has flat tabs on either side of the Kindle. Very comfortable to press. I settled in to read last night with the $79 kindle and its page turning buttons (which are more of a "corner" instead of a tab) made my fingers a little sore after a couple hours of reading. Also, they require a little more pressure to press than the KwK which is a little distracting.

4) Keyboard. From a functional perspective, the lack of keyboard didn't bother me at all. I was able to shop and search with the $79's virtual keyboard just fine but the KwK's keyboard does make it a little easier to type in my searches. BUT... the kwk's keyboard adds an extra inch to the length of the kindle so when I lay on my bed with the kindle on my chest, that extra space props up the kindle to the perfect height for easy reading. The $79 model is so small (which is great in its own way) but requires that I sit it on a pillow on my chest to prop it up to the right height for easy reading. LOL- I know it sounds weird but when I settle in to read for a few hours, I like to be comfy! :)

A few non-issues:

I thought the ads would be annoying but they ended up being more interesting than the same old Agatha Cristies on the KwK. I took advantage of a few of them during the couple weeks I owned the $79 model and if I replace my KwK, I'll get the ad version with no hesitation.

I don't use the Kindle for notes or any of the social networking features.

I never used any of the audio features on either model so they played no part in my decision.

I thought storage space would matter but even when I loaded up a few hundred books, they barely took up much space on either model. I don't use it for pdfs or personal docs so that didn't matter either.

Oh - one thing that surprised me was that it seems like the more books you load, the more sluggish the screen refreshes. I saw this on both models. It seemed to help when I put books into collections but when I initially loaded all the books and had 73 pages to flip thru, performance was noticeably sluggish. (PS - I wish we could manage our collections on a computer... it is a pain to slog through screen after screen adding books to collections using the kindle interface.)

Anyway, I love my kindle... even though I have an ipad, I still prefer to read on the kindle. Keep up the great work! :)

Quick update:
I forgot to mention that I did like the lack of flashing during page turns on the $79 kindle but it wasn't enough of a benefit to keep it in place of the KwK. Also, upgrading to version 3.3 seems to have boosted overall kwk speed and fixed the sluggishness I mentioned earlier.

[Add comment]