Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

1.0 out of 5 stars A very unfair rate...blame it on the industry!, January 24, 2010
This review is from: Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just in case, my 2 star rate is exclusively for the Blu-Ray product.

The Blu-Ray boxset comes with 4 discs that contains the 11 episodes that encompasses the complete series of planet earth.
If i had to rate the visual content of this series is 5 stars all the way, hands down.

As many other reviews, my discontent is the omission of special features.

I had a friend that lend me his planet earth DVD boxset and I just finished watching the bonus feature The Future which has 3 episodes: Saving Species, Into the Wilderness and Living Together each almost an hour length. In a nutshell, this amazing documentary is very informative and brings powerful ecological issues from very well educated people. Many of the concerns are going to be dealt directly by you and me, we need this education...why did they not include such an important documentary in the Blu Ray version!!

In a way I know the answer, I've seen how it works. I've been collecting movies since late 90's: I've bought DVD's that I had VHS versions before, I experienced the WB larger DVD's cases that were later changed for the standard size cases, or the "flip side" movies (first version of Goodfellas, Sleepers, A Time to Kill), the Special Editions, Limited Editions, Ultimate Editions, etc etc...believe me, I've done my share. Now seeing the same pattern in the Blu Rays discs (where "lack of space" is not an excuse) is really irritating.

It is a shame that this highly praised series (with their sophisticated message and the contribution to the appreciation/ preservation to the environment) fell in the industry abusive discipline in continuing exploiting the customers pockets...for me is somewhat contradictory to the essence of the series.

Don't be surprise when people decide to copy a special feature disc like this one, or should they sit and wait for the super mega edition boxset! Instead of spending millions in marketing for anti-piracy campaigns, concentrate in your loyal customers by making the most complete and comprehensive possible product in the original date of release.

Thanks for reading this.

UPDATE (January 27th): now that I saw the 10 minute behind the scenes on EACH episode on the DVD boxset I'm really pissed...this is amazing footage that was completely cut out from the Blu-Ray as well. Get this: these behind the scenes are an extra chapter (last chapter) within each episode which means they deliberately took them out for the blu-ray edition (as well as taking out the 5th disc - special feature the future)...que cojones man!!!

I'm sorry, I'm changing my vote to 1 star.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2010 12:36:28 PM PDT
seekshelter says:
Planet Earth 5-Dvd Collector's Edition Boxed Set! Discovery Channel

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 5:35:35 AM PDT
Thank you very much for this review. I was about to get it, but I do want to see those extras you were mentioning. Thanks again!

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 7:16:21 AM PDT
M says:
Thanks, man! At $38 (Gold Box), this really piqued my interest. Would have been a $38 disappointment, were it not for your review. I try to go out of my way to avoid supporting studios that do this by not buying those sets. Holding out for LotR, too...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2010 2:17:13 PM PDT
Just Mike says:
I'm in the exact same boat, was looking at buying because of the Gold Box deal. Now I think I'll just rent the DVDs from Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2010 2:46:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010 2:14:22 PM PST
Big Ron says:
Get the REAL 5-DISC set narrated by David Attenborough from Ebay which is also 1080p, not 1080i like the Discovery, Disney, and newly cheapened BBC 4-disc versions. It turns out that disc 5 is 1 hour,38 minutes. It's from the BBC Natural Earth series and contains Desert Lions and Snow Leopards.

Perhaps BBC thought there was some controversy because Desert Lions has a few seconds of nudity from the villagers and Snow Leopards is filmed in the mountains of Afghanistan and contains some thoughts about the perception of the Afghan people. None of this was a problem for me.

Posted on May 1, 2010 5:36:55 PM PDT
Dan says:
Very helpful; I also was about to buy this from Amazon, but I really enjoy the special features. I'll find something else.

Posted on May 3, 2010 9:04:36 PM PDT
Grigori says:
Thanks for the comment. I'll hold buying this item based on your review

Posted on May 22, 2010 6:14:23 PM PDT
Medici says:

Posted on May 22, 2010 9:03:55 PM PDT
Big Ron says:
I just found out they took 10 minutes of footage from disc 5 snow leopards and incorporated it into one of the other 4 discs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2010 10:50:15 AM PDT
Oh well, Big Ron... just got the BBC 5-DISC set (with bonus disc containing Desert Lions and Snow Leopards) narrated by David Attenborough... and it's now labeled as all done in 1080i rather than 1080p...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›