2.0 out of 5 stars Rocky Collection on Blu-ray, May 25, 2012
This review is from: Rocky: The Undisputed Collection (Rocky / Rocky II / Rocky III / Rocky IV / Rocky V / Rocky Balboa) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This review will be incomplete as I have only watched the first 3 movies. I have the Standard DVD collection minus "Rocky Balboa' and was happy with it but since Amazon offered it at a very good $19.00 on Blu Ray I thought I would take a chance. So far, and especially for Rocky and Rocky 11, the video is damn awful and I doubt the transfers were from original masters. The amount of grain is as obvious as you can get, it is all over each of the films. For the Rocky 111 film, you can actually see the drop outs from whatever footage they transferred it from. The DTSHD 5.1 audio is a joke for the first 3 films as well. While the score is spread to all channels, there is almost no use of the rear channels at all and especially for the fight scenes where the crowds are all over the arena, you would expect to have some audio coming from behind you as much as from in front of you. I will watch the remaining films and add to this review but I am seriously considering returning the whole thing.

On a positive note, the packaging is excellent as each separate disc is on its own individual plastic page and kept separate from touching the other discs. Removing or replacing a disc is easy and safe for the DVDs.

If you already have these movies from the original release, don't bother with the blu ray versions as you really won't see an improvement. Have now watched Rocky IV and V...they are no better than the others in terms of video and audio quality. My wife thinks I am crazy to do this Rocky marathon but I had to get through them. I will say that there is some minor improvement in V but that is not due to the video/audio transfer, but to better technology after all those years.

Addendum, just noticed that one of the discs is missing, the latest Rocky Balboa. Called Amazon and they offered to replace it for me but I told them that I would just as soon return the set and have them credit my account which they graciously will do. Just received a return label to mail it back to them with. Great service from Amazon.
All my movie reviews are of this nature and focus only on the quality of the transfer to BluRay so check them and see if they are of help as well.
Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you in determining your purchase, hope I am on the correct path with a review of the transfer quality as opposed to providing plot summaries.
Thanks

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2012 11:36:17 AM PDT
Thank you. I had been holding off purchasing these discs this week in hopes that someone would come along and say the video quality was better than what I had read in some of the older reviews. I'm sad to hear that it's still a joke.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 7:56:06 AM PDT
CatsAndStuff says:
Thanks I appreciate reviews on blu-ray video quality. That's my number one factor in whether or not to buy the blu-ray version. If the transfer sucks I might as well just buy the DVD's for cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 10:24:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 11:06:14 AM PDT
Your welcome. Your deciding factors and mine are the same. I wish reviewers would spend less time providing plot summaries and acting evaluations than discussing the quality of the discs themselves.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:14:17 PM PST
Todd Awana says:
I appreciate your candor in your review as well, but do you have any idea why so many other reviewers are raving about the video quality when you say it's bad? It's kind of confusing, almost like the reviewers have gotten different versions.

Just wondering.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 11:41:42 AM PST
Good question Todd. I have not followed this review thread so I am surprised to hear that there are those who say the quality of the BRs are good. I have a fairly esoteric hi end home theater system so all I can guess is that perhaps they did not have the standard def versions to compare to, maybe they are seeing it on their PCs whose monitors are producing less than theater quality imaging in the first place, or maybe they were watching with their eyes closed. Okay, just went back and started to read the latest reviews and most say how they loved the movies and how good the packaging is. A couple do say the image is good but we all have our standards. In my mind, if you have the standard dvd set, as I did, don't buy the Blu Ray.
Steve