5.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Successor to the Roomba Line, December 12, 2007
This review is from: iRobot 560 Roomba Vacuuming Robot, Black and Silver (Kitchen)
We have two Roombas plus a Scooba in our house. When one of the batteries on one of our Roombas finally reached the end of its life cycle, we decided to donate that Roomba to a friend and to get ourselves the new top of the line - the Roomba 560. We got this right when it first came out, but we waited several months before posting a review. It's pretty much impossible to review one of these Roombas after only a few days! It takes weeks if not months to start to see how well they last over time, and what breaks down. Believe me - been there, done that.

So now it's many months later, and I have to say, we are quite pleased with the improvements of this Roomba over the previous generations of Roombas. So first, for those who don't even have ANY Roomba yet (hard to believe!). Roombas are awesome. We have cats, and we work from home so we're home all day. It is AMAZING how much dirt and dust and junk collects in the carpet every single day. Who really has time to vacuum their carpets twice a day any more? With the Roomba, you set the scheduler to do it while you are asleep. You wake up in the morning, the carpets are clean, the air is fresh, and you empty out the dust bin. It is just wonderful.

Even those without pets might be amazed how much lint and such the Roomba will find every morning for you.

I have a noise meter and have done several tests with the noise meter. The Roomba is much quieter than other regular vacuums. It is NOT silent - it can't be! How could it vacuum up dirt and be silent? But it is quieter than the alternatives, and heck, you're sleeping anyway. I can easily sleep through a Roomba running.

Now, on to the improvements of this new Roomba over previous models. First, it has a cool feature where the speed drops when it senses it is approaching a solid object. The old Roomba would just run full tilt into an object - wall, couch etc. - and then turn around. This one slows down so that it hits the object gently. Sure the old Roomba wouldn't dent the walls with its powerful force, but still, it's nice to have it be gentle on furniture and your building.

Next, for better or for worse, the new Roomba is much more aware of when its bin and brushes are getting grungy. I admit I didn't clean my other Roombas as often as I should have. And it led to problems. This new Roomba will actually stop and warn you when it's getting full and when the brushes should be cleaned. If you're a procrastinator like I am, this is a good thing. If you're a clean freak that empties the bin every time, and cleans the brushes every time, then you probably won't even notice this feature.

The anti tangle technology is nice. The previous Roomba would start to eat a cord and just keep going until it was really stuck. This Roomba at least tries to get itself untangled. Still, I don't recommend leaving cords and strings and things lying around. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

The new system uses a "lighthouse" instead of just a wall. With a lighthouse, you mark out a room so the Roomba finishes with that room completely before going on to the next room. They are like section markers. We tend to just use walls, but if you have two large rooms the lighthouse feature might be really helpful for you.

After several months of running we have had NO problems at all with our Roomba. No broken brushes, no falling off pieces, nothing. It is still going strong and we are very pleased with it.

Highly, highly recommended! I am happy to give personal advice and I even have videos of Roombas on my website. I love Roombas, they have saved me countless hours of work, and they make my home a much cleaner and easier-breathing place to be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2008 7:14:57 PM PST
M. B Cole says:
Excellent and funny review. Now I got this on my Wishlist..lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 8:25:21 PM PST
Lisa Shea says:
I *love* our Roombas. They are just so much fun :) I wish these things came out years ago!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 4:25:32 PM PDT
Thanks lisa

You just convinced me into buying a roomba!

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 11:54:28 AM PST
Thanks for the detailed info. Regarding the anti-tangle technology: you say that you don't recommend leaving cords lying around. Do you unplug all your floor lamps and so on every time you use the Roomba? Do you have any fringed area rugs or bathroom rugs/mats? How does it maneuver around those? I have wanted a Roomba for years but have always held back because of my fringed area rugs. Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009 4:14:02 PM PST
Lisa Shea says:
My dad has a fringed area rug and he puts it up on a couch or blocks it off when the Roomba runs depending on how he feels. We don't have any lamp cords anywhere the Roomba would run - they're all along baseboards or such for safety reasons. I do have a laptop plug that goes out to the coffee table and yes I raise it or unplug it before the Roomba runs.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 11:18:05 PM PDT
Gamer091 says:
Thanks, I am thinking about buying a new one - I bought a very old one refurbished and had to buy a new battery and a new set of brushes - how is the battery going for the 560 series? The old one helps, but I still need to vacuum since it can't reach everywhere - so during the week I run the roomba everyday and on the weekends I catch on the corners etc... How is it working now? Still good?

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:45:07 AM PDT
Hello. I have found someone who has an IRobot Roomba 56301 which they claim is barely used and they wish to seel for $150. Is this part of the 560 series I'm reading about? My house is about half carpet and half hardwood....does it adjust well and get both clean? I'm thinking of buying it from this person but want to be sure it is something I will love and use. Thanks

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 9:29:13 AM PDT
You mentioned that you have both scoobas and roombas. What is the difference between them? Which do you prefer?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:22:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 5:22:28 PM PDT
Lisa Shea says:
Scoobas and Roombas are completely different things. A Scooba is a hard floor washer, it uses water and detergent. A Roomba is a carpet vacuum. It sucks up dirt. If you look at the iRobot site you can see complete videos and descriptions of both.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (948 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $199.99