3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but could be better., September 25, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA Soccer 13 - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
Ok, I'm reading all of the reviews before me, and I'm a little surprised at how ignorant and blind people are. Here's a review from somebody who played every FIFA since 2004, even some GameBoy versions of it.

First of all, all people bitching about no console features being included in the game obviously didn't get past the menu screens, which, I must admit, resemble the original FIFA on Vita. But once you're on the pitch, oh boy!

Remember those FPS issues during the presentations in first FIFA? Fixed! Presentation is decent, but I don't think it changed much from original. Same main and color commentators and they have the same lines, same scoreboards, etc. But, to be fair, I haven't played all that long, I might be missing some things. Oh yeah, the graphics are unchanged. Not that anybody wanted them to change, being the best looking FIFA game not on a home console or PC.

Onto more important things: first-touch control, improved AI and impact engine ARE in the game. To those who said they don't feel like anything changed, try Football and then try 13 again. See it now? Unfortunately, tactical defending is not in the game, but, as useful a it is, I don't think it should be a dealbreaker for anybody.

So far so good, right?

Now, onto bad things.

The career mode is still the same piece of crap it was in FIFA Football. NOTHING was changed! International games weren't added, transfers are still archaic. Not even those interviews from console versions of 12 (which I personally felt felt were a nice touch, despite everyone calling them pesky, gimmicky and repetitive) were added. Very disappointed with the career mode overall.

I'm not a big fan of online modes, so bear with me on this one. As far as I can make it out, neither Ultimate Team, nor EASFC, nor Creation Centre are in the game. I know a lot of folks like to spend time with those, so sorry to break it to you. Head to Head and Friends Leagues are present, if that makes you feel any better. I haven't tried either yet, but anything would be better than the first FIFA's laggy online.

Also, there are a few minor issues within the game. EA TRAX only features 8 songs, of which 3 I already have turned off, and I haven't heard 1 yet. Saudi Arabian League is in the Vita version, but the King Fahd Stadium isn't. Same for the White Hart Lane, and Camp Nou. Both Spurs and Barca use generic stadiums, which can, however, be renamed, and they look pretty similar to the real ones. Also, 5 international teams were added, and I also noticed Italy being under license this time around, that's good. Croatia is missing though. Rangers are in the game under Rest of the World, and Napoli doesn't have a licensed logo or uniforms, but I heard there should be a patch to fix that soon, as the agreement was reached after the game was published.

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Anywhooo, my verdict to people who already own FIFA Football would be to sell it for $15-20 (I sold mine for $24 couple of weeks ago.) That way you'll get a pretty decent upgrade without having to spend $40. To people who never played the original, get this game, but don't have your hopes too high regarding game modes.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer 'em all!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2012 5:35:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 5:38:10 PM PDT
"Onto more important things: first-touch control, improved AI and impact engine ARE in the game."

Man, now I'm really confused. I don't mean to doubt you, but so far you're the only reviewer here ( also some on youtube) who has affirmed the presence of those features in FIFA 13. So, who's correct? :/

PS: I'm no expert when it comes to FIFA (only played it in PSP prior), so I will let experts settle the matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:58:14 PM PDT
Evika says:
The difference can be hard to notice in the videos, but once you play you'll see the difference

Here, I've dug up a CNET review of the game for you.
What you're looking for is halfway through the article.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 1:21:09 AM PDT
Mohd K. says:
Thanks for the review.
I'm still not sure if I should pick it up or not...

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 6:50:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2012 6:51:04 AM PDT
Sir, what game are you playing? This Vita version wasn't even rushed!! More like too lazy to update. All that was done was a few new kits and a roster update. Nothing was done to add in FUT, the new career modes nor anything and you gave it 3 stars ?? REALLY?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:02:58 AM PDT
Evika says:
You're kidding me... You obviously haven't gotten anywhere past the menu screens. Yes, FUT, EASFC and the new Career Mode are not in the game, which really sucks, because I expected to play the new Career Mode, at least. But all of the features in the game physics are. Impact engine, first touch, improved AI... Do those mean nothing to you?

And look at it this way. You're getting a great football/soccer game on the go with half the features of its console counterpart for a much lesser price than its console counterpart. And if you manage to sell your original game for at least $15 (cheapest right now on Amazon is $18, so you should be fine), this one'll only set you back $25.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:05:13 AM PDT
Evika says:
Glad to help, and if you're still wondering - read the second paragraph before last. I got a very decent upgrade for mere $16. I spent more on PSP games back in the day, goddamit!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 7:56:43 AM PDT
All of this we got in the LAST iteration. I could have saved 40 bucks and not bought this if none of the other modes were to be added.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 12:30:20 PM PDT
Evika says:
Okay, buddy I think you're getting console and Vita versions mixed up. Just for clarification: FIFA Football was based on FIFA 11 engine; FIFA 13 for Vita is based on a mix of 12 and 13, meaning there is a 1.5 year difference between the two games' physics engines. That's pretty impressive considering EA had only 6 months to to make it as much of the console experience on a handheld as possible.

Now, if you're thinking I'm defending EA, you're wrong. I DO think it did a meh job with this game, especially when it comes to game modes. But you're simply being absurd by saying that nothing was improved and nothing was added. That's just wrong.

Even if the above couldn't change your mind about this game... Well, then think of it as an updated version of the best football simulator ever on a handheld device.

PS: if you're not happy with spending $40 on this game that you call "outdated", why not pick up FIFA 13 for PSP? It seems to be getting pretty good reviews...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

$19.99 $19.25