3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, but not appetizing, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Cupcakes, Cookies & Pie, Oh, My! (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a terrifically clever book filled with wonderful ideas for making baked goods that delight the eye. The projects range from the lovely (The Whiteout Cake) to the hilarious (The Spider Bite) with some truly inspired designs such as the Social Network Cake and the cupcakes made into high heels, which is sure to delight anyone who loves pretty shoes. The instructions seem very straightforward, and if these are not easy or quick projects, they're ones which will garner a lot of "oooohs" and "aaahhhhs" from your guests, and some good laughs, too.

But here's my problem with the book -- and I freely admit that your mileage may vary on this one -- a great many of the recipes make my teeth hurt even to think about. When the emphasis of a baked item is on style, you have to be willing to use a lot of sugar to produce decorations which many adults (like me) won't eat. And since the point of baking is, for me at least, to produce something that delights the palate, many of these projects, adorable as they are, seem fairly unappetizing.

If you're baking for children who will eat anything sugary, if you're baking for an event where you don't really care if people eat your baked goods, then this is the book for you because it demystifies a good deal of the process of turning out awe-inspiring cakes, cookies, pies and so forth. You can be the hit of your child's kindergarten class, create hilarious Halloween treats, and be that person, the one who always shows up with the show-stopping dessert.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2012 12:21:28 PM PST
ambegy says:
thank u for ur post the hole point for me too is to produce something not only that looks good but that i would love to eat

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 12:36:39 PM PST
Tracy Rowan says:
You're most welcome. I knew that some people would agree with me, others not. I just had to point out that flaw. It's still a fun little book.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 6:59:41 PM PST
DR1224 says:
I was just thinking- looking at the cover, 'that looks really cute but who would eat that??'
Thanks for the post- if I'm going to put hours of work into something, of course I want it to look adorable but I also want them to be gone by the end of the party!

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 4:17:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 4:59:01 PM PDT
Justbooking says:
I'd have to agree - the ingredients used may be great for food styling but for eating, that's another matter. I watched a demonstration by the author (see pictures posted above) and was horrified to see the excessive amount of sugary products used to make these cupcakes and "pies". I allow my children a cupcake or some cake on occasion but these were just overwhelming in terms of frosting, candy, etc. More worrisome was the target audience of preschoolers and young children present at this book tour.

Several parents and one early childhood teacher later agreed that they would have preferred a much healthier approach.

This is similar, fun for kids but uses healthy foods. It would be great to see a book from Jill Dubien - although you don't really need it, the pics in the links below show they're very easy to make with everyday foods:

Fun Food Friday - 92 ideas for healthy lunches and snacks:

Bento school lunches - 145 ideas:

More ideas & resources:

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 9:00:48 AM PDT
austinmom says:
I can't agree more. My daughter chose this book for me as a present. I imagine all the candies the authors use look fun and appetizing for her and some projects are really creative. But I haven't been able to bring myself to making any of them simply because they look sickening sweet and I don't wish to give anyone that much sugar!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (127 customer reviews)

$17.95 $10.77