Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the look, easy to place the onto charging pad, just a bit too easy to bump off, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Microsoft licensed Energizer 2X Charging System for Xbox One (Video Game)
I bought this item from my local big box seller on launch day and have to say I like how it charges but I wish it had a way to secure the controllers into the unit.

When you get the chargers it looks pretty nice I like the way it looks in my entertainment console. The batteries are NiMh and they kind of look like they took 2 batteries and taped them together (which I'm more than fine with) kind of like wireless landline phones.

You get a new backplate that has a hole in it for the contacts on the batteries to hit the contacts on the stand. The first time I put it on it took me a few tries to get it to fit right but the second controller was much easier. The batteries do come pre-charged but I really can't tell you how much since I synced the controllers then put them on the charging base to charge.

The base lights up green when they are fully charged and red while charging. You have to slide them in just right to line up the holes but it's fairly easy since the clear hook has a notch that you line up with the Xbox button on the controller, so as long as those line up as you are putting it in you will have no problem.

The cons:
Nothing holds the controllers to the base except for the clear hook, if you have kids and they run around and you don't have the base in a secure area the controllers could very easily get knocked off of it. I normally wouldn't care but since they are new and cost $60 each I want to prolong their life as much as I can.

If a battery pack goes bad after a year or two will I have to buy a whole new base unit to just get a new battery? I am not giving it a minus on stars for this point since I haven't researched this much but I think I will. It would be nice to just buy new packs and maybe that is an option I just don't know.

I took the one star off due to how easy it is to bump off the controller. I can't tell you how long they last since I've never had any issues with long gaming sessions and I put them on the base daily so they will last you all day. I do perfer this over the play and charge kits MS has since it is much cheaper to charge 2 controllers since you don't need to buy 2 play and charge kits.

If you have any questions please ask I can probably answer for you.

******
Edit: like I said in the comments you can't charge via usb port, you must use the base.

******
Edit 2: After using this for 3 months and a few marathon gaming sessions I can say the battery life kind of stinks if you are using your chat headset. Each pack is rated at 20 hours of useage but when I have my headset plugged in I get maybe 10 hours of usage. I haven't tested it with just controller since I am usually always chatting with friends as I play. It's a good thing there are 2 so you can swap out the one when it dies. The batteries do charge quickly though.

******
Edit 3: The patch MS pushed out that shows battery life will not show that the batteries have a full charge. On my console it shows up as 50% for hours of gaming so if you see that do not worry it's just their software isn't reading the battery correctly.

*******
Edit 4: Before a year was complete the batteries were not holding the charge and I had to move them around to find a spot for them to charge so I threw them away and went to regular rechargeable batteries (white Amazon brand). The top spot never worked and the bottom you had to put it on then pull it off and skew it a bit to get it to charge.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2013 11:35:49 AM PST
Kirk says:
Can you plug a USB cable in and charge the battery while it's in use (like a play and charge kit)? I didn't see that mentioned in any of the reviews. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2013 11:37:39 AM PST
TNel says:
No you can not due to these batteries charge from the contact points on the back of the controller. But now that I think they may get a charge through the controller themselves.... ok let me try once I get home and let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013 11:30:30 AM PST
Any updates? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 6:51:51 PM PST
TNel says:
Sorry it took me some time, mostly I want to blame MS for not putting a battery status symbol for the new console but a lot is me not playing enough to kill a controller. But after killing my controller and plugging it in and watching a long movie I can safely say that the USB connection will NOT charge the controller :(

Kind of sucks that you must use the charging base.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 11:52:08 AM PST
Would you mind letting me know how long the power cable is for the base? (A rough estimate is fine)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 11:57:35 AM PST
TNel says:
It's 4 feet from wall outlet to the end of the cord.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 12:55:34 PM PST
Kirk says:
Thanks for your feedback!

I ended up going with the MS Play and Charge kit; I want to be able to charge while playing if needed, and only have one controller anyway, so it was a better fit for me. Plus, I had enough Reward Zone credits at BB that it only cost me $5 ;)

Thanks again for replying!

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 7:43:55 PM PST
UnkTob says:
Mine didn't come with any instructions, so I have a question for you: When you have had the controller get knocked loose from the charger, does the charging light flash red? The lower charging dock on mine only flashes red when I try to put either of my controllers on it to charge.
Thanks in advance for your response!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 9:02:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2014 9:03:16 AM PST
TNel says:
I've had mine flash red before but usually I just took it off and reseated it and it worked. I would try and unplug the device and then plug it back in and then reseat it, maybe take the batteries out and reseat them to make sure they didn't move. Try calling their support if it doesn't work but I have seen the red flash before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 10:11:31 AM PST