3.0 out of 5 stars Step up and you'll be happier, July 21, 2007
This review is from: Dremel 761-03 Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have Dremeled my dog's nails since he was a pup and there is no better way to do it. However, this item is cheap and weak and runs through batteries. Just do yourself a favor a get a Dremel that will do the job well in the first place. It costs a bit more, but is well worth it in reliability and saved aggravation. The one you want is the Dremel MultiPro Cordless 7700-02. (You don't need the 50 accessories that come with it for your dog's nails, but I've only seen it sold that way and that's how it's sold on Amazon.)

The two keys here are that it is a 7.2V Dremel so it is much stronger and better suited for large dogs, and it comes with a rechargeable battery pack so you don't have to replace batteries. Plus, you'll have a real Dremel around the house and you will definitely find other uses for it once you have it. Although the MultiPro may be more expensive initially, you will save money in the long run. Trust me, you'll thank yourself for getting the better tool.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2008 12:28:45 PM PDT
Cobe says:

Posted on Aug 23, 2008 10:47:59 PM PDT
I just bought the 10.8 V cordless version to use for multiple tasks including nail trimming. The recommendation came from a Vet tech. I came to Amazon looking for more accessories then found the pet nail grooming tool. I don't think the review is misleading as there are plenty of other reviews for the pet tool. I like the idea of rechargeable batteries versus ones which aren't.

Posted on Oct 9, 2008 10:14:14 AM PDT
Susan Byers says:
I appreciate the frank review of the product and especially the recommendation (and link) to a product by the same company that does it better! A dog trainer raved about the Dremel, but after reading how inappropriate it is for large dogs (I have a chocolate lab pup who will end up close to 90 pounds), I had just about given up the idea of purchasing one until I read this review. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 6:07:52 PM PST
K. Eldridge says:
The reason why they are posting that information, is that the grinding tool for pets is underpowered for other situations other than pet nail grinding. You can purchase the other tool with lots of accessories and get the same result for a little bit more. Crocuta was trying to be helpful and offer alternatives that worked for them and may work for others. I appreciate the post made by them.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 11:53:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2009 11:58:38 PM PDT
kandoro says:
NONSENSE!!!

The reason some people want this 6v version is because it's twice as quiet versus the 7.2v...Our little pomy actual likes the 6v version and tries to play with it whereas the much louder 7.2v version scares him...Bottom line certain tools are made for certain jobs and in this case, animals...I already have a bunch of rechargeable AA's so using them was a no brainer...They last well over an hour at 14K rpm under some load...Nothing wrong with that...Anyone having problem with battery life is because they are buying the cheapest batteries...Even high quality Duracell or Energizers will provide enough power...But if you buy those cheap $.25 or less batteries there's the problem...If you buy a cheap battery for a car and it won't turn it over you don't blame the starter...

This unit is also fine for large dogs and anyone whos says you must have the more powerful 7.2v is just plain wrong...Just use a course grade 1/2 inch wheel instead of the 1/4 inch...AGAIN, this unit has plenty of power with the proper batteries...

Other than being MUCH louder and more money there is nothing wrong with any of the more expensive rotary tools if your animals can tolerate them...But again this little jewel was built for a specific purpose and excels at it...If you have little dogs or cats it's a no brainer and for big dogs it will suffice as well...

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 2:53:40 PM PDT
Bill says:
I also went with the Dremel 8000-02 10.8V 120V Rotary Tool for my lab as well as the Peticure attachment. I've tried trimming with just an open grinder and could never control it.

My dog is going on 11 years now and just isn't active enough for her claws to wear down on their own. She resists a little but she's well trained enough to know when to let me do it. She's much calmer than with clippers. I also do it just before feeding time so she sees that as a reward for being calm.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 2:57:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 9:23:01 AM PDT
Mr. Izzy says:
I agree, but...

I have a couple of dogs and have also used a Dremel for decades to do all my dogs' nails. I was bummed when I saw that somebody 'invented' the PediPaws and is probably making a fortune! Coulda, woulda, shoulda... oh well.

In any case, a couple of years ago I bought this item: Dremel 1100-N/25 7.2-Volt Stylus Lithium-Ion Cordless Rotary Tool Kit with Docking Station since it was cordless. It is very compact and the shape makes it easy to use when doing the dog's nails. A big plus for me is the Lithium Ion batteries which hold a great charge and should last pretty much forever. It also has a variable speed instead of just a Hi-Lo setting. I know this is quite a bit more, but you can use this for just about anything instead of just pet nails. It is every bit as useful and powerful as my corded Dremels (yes that's plural - "He who dies with the most tools WINS").

BTW: the advantage to the Dremel I recommend (vs the one the original reviewer does) is that it has LI-ion batteries that will probably never need replaced and they are much smaller/lighter/powerful than the Ni-MH's.

All that being said, I also have a PediPaws which is far inferior to the power of the Dremel, but the nice thing is that the PediPaws has a housing that catches the majority of the toe nail grindings. I use it for touchups in the house when the weather does not allow me to do it outside. I will not use the Dremel in the house since it does kick up quite a bit of (let's call it) dust. I only use the Dremel outside and don't worry about the dust. My dogs are around 70 pounds, so if you have a small dog, this might not be a problem for you.

One thing I always do is pre-trim the nails with a standard pet nail clipper to get started and then finish up with the Dremel. goes much quicker and saves a lot of grinding. I don't try to get them too close with the clipper, and save the final pedicure for the Dremel. The dog will let you know when you're getting too close and if you do it every couple of weeks, you'll be surprised how short their nails can be maintained since the quick will actually recede with regular trimming. And, the pre-trim saves the drums from wearing out so quickly.

One last thing, Dremel sells various sizes of drums. I have found that the large size work better since they don't tend to drift in use and they also last a lot longer than the tiny ones.

And a last, last thing... DO NOT crank this up to high speed when doing the nails. You should never go above 4 or 5 since the high speed will heat up the nails and you don't want to torture your dog any more than you must. Just doing the nails is torture enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 2:59:22 PM PDT
Mr. Izzy says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 8:28:11 AM PDT
Faja4x says:
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (343 customer reviews)

Out of stock