2.0 out of 5 stars The Lego label is not enough..., February 2, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Reader #1: Way of the Ninja (Paperback)
My almost six year old son loves Lego, especially Lego ninjago. I thought that this would be a fun book for him. The pictures are well done and I am sure he would like to look at them. I don't like the text though. There is not much of a good story and I consider it to graphic for his age. Citation from page 8: "He swung his samurai sword and one of the skeletons' head popped off. 'Ow!' Kai cried, as the skeleton bit his ankle. 'Bite this!' He kicked the skeleton head like a football. The other warriors clapped as the skull flew through the air.". My son might think it's "cool", but that is not the main factor I decide by. I don't see good reading in this and don't want to set him up for trashy literature that early, when I still have an influence on his taste. So instead of this book I recommend "Night of the Ninjas" from the Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne. It does not have the colorful pictures and we have to read it to him for now, but it inspires imagination, is fun and educational.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2012 6:22:57 PM PDT
hammonit says:
I agree with you. I didn't like the text for my 6 year old either. I read it once and "lost" it until he's older ;)

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:24:32 PM PDT
I totally agree, and I wish I had read your review before ordering this for my 5-year-old son. He has a lot of Ninjago sets, which we are OK with despite a certain amount of inherent violence, but when I flipped through this book and saw the skeleton beheading on page 8 I decided immediately that he would never get this book, despite it being sold as if it's appropriate for age 4+.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 3:14:12 PM PST
Austin Mom says:
Thanks for the feedback! I was debating whether or not to get this for my 6 year old. He loves Ninjago, but I'd rather not introduce him to trashy literature and violent books.

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 12:31:11 PM PDT
Marian says:
HOLY COW! I am in agreement with you that text like that is absolutely inappropriate for little ones. Personally, I would not want to read that either. Thanks for the review. I will not be purchasing this book.

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 8:26:00 AM PST
Thank you so much for taking your time to write a review on this Lego Ninjago book, or on the set in general. I was just about to purchase these for my 5 year old's Christmas stocking! I do not approve of the graphic text. Boys in this age group have quite an imagination of their own when they play. These boys definitely do not need the books they are learning to read to teach them inappropriate behavior, and US as their parents MUST approve, they think, since we allow the books in the house to be read. I am no longer purchasing these books for my 5 year old son's Christmas stocking. I personally prefer more tasteful, and innocent, literature for him. Thanks again! :) :)

Posted on May 7, 2014 7:47:09 AM PDT
UYEN says:
I agree with you as well. I just ordered the series yesterday. I usually read reviews before buying but I did not think Lego books would be so violent so I did not read the reviews. I just have to figure out what to tell my 5 years old boy when he reads that page. Thanks.

Posted on May 16, 2014 7:51:41 AM PDT
NY Dad says:
bunch of blowhards...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (87 customer reviews)

$3.99 $3.00