2.0 out of 5 stars Poor installment in an otherwise fun franchise, October 9, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 (Video Game)
Preface: I thoroughly enjoyed Resident Evil 5, my first entry into the series, enough so that I immediately purchased Resident Evl 4 from the game marketplace when it was released. Both games were exceptional, and I didn't mind the emphasis on action whatsoever. That said, I am a long-time fan of the survival horror genre also. I've played nearly every Silent Hill game since Silent Hill 2. I understand what a survival horror game should be like. Resident Evil 6 is undoubtedly neither a survival horror game nor a quality action game. For starters, this game has little-to-no resemblance as a survival horror game at all, so just go ahead and get that out of your head right now. The only similarities come in the fact that occasionally you'll run out of supplies such as ammo and health. Unfortunately, the game also fails as an action game and here's why...

For starters, the copious amounts of monotonous button-mashing and joystick-rotating is enough to drive someone insane. In the first campaign, you'll frequently stumble upon dead people laying about the ground. This is annoying in-and-of itself because your character trips each and every time, but what makes it worse is that many of these enemies reanimate and grab ahold of you, prompting one of many tedious button-mashing events to break free. This scenario isn't always caused by slumbering dead people, however. In fact, almost every enemy is likely to grab ahold of you at some point, and in addition to the headaches caused by these enemies grabbing ahold of you, the game frequently forces you to do mundane button presses like slamming x or b repeatedly to swim away or run away. The reason why I bring up the fake asleep zombies is because they represent a broken element of the game. After being grabbed by a seemingly dead enemy one too many times, I decided to shoot the next one I saw in the head a couple times to make sure it was dead. I watched as three of my bullets went straight through its body and struck the floor below the zombie. I figured it was safe to walk by after that. Wrong. The zombie didn't reanimate until I walked around him regardless of how many times I would have shot him. It's moments like these that make you question whether or not this is still a AAA game, and I assure you it is not, but not just for this small reason.

A greater flaw than the immensely annoying button-mashing gameplay mechanic Resident Evil 6 loves so much lie in the bosses. Resident Evil has been known to have boss battles that seemingly end once only to have that same boss return from the dead as an even bigger, badder, uglier monster than before. Resident Evil 6 takes this concept to another level. In Leon's campaign, nearly two full chapters, which is the equivalent of two hours or more of gameplay, you'll fight and re-fight the exact same boss for what seemed like six different times. I can think of four distinct encounters with him off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were more. At the conclusion of each, you're almost positive he won't return, but he does...and then he returns again. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if it weren't for the fact that each boss battle boils down to boss cliches such as shoot the big bad ugly thing in its glowing orange spot and then punch it in the face while its down or goad the big bad ugly thing into the exploding barrels and then set him ablaze. When you mix poorly designed boss encounters and a painful repetition of the exact same boss for two full hours, you've got a recipe for annoyance, which is a theme of Resident Evil 6.

My third major complaint that I'll explain in detail is that many deaths in this game come as a result of random, unavoidable events. I don't mind difficulty. Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden are a couple games that come to mind that I thoroughly enjoyed despite their difficulty. The reason they are still fun is because when you inevitably die, you know it was because you simply weren't good enough. In Resident Evil 6, you will die many times simply because the game isn't good enough. Random scripted events pop out of nowhere, resulting in unavoidable deaths far too often. For example, a car accident bursting out of a side alley blindsides you and before you know what even happened, your dead. An ambulance races down the street and slams into a gas station, exploding everything, and before you know what even happened, your dead. A tank shoots a car on a bridge, causing a large explosion filled with toppling vehicles hurdling toward you, and befoe you know what even happened, your dead. In these moments the game takes the controller out of your hand. You are no longer responible for your character's well-being. Instead, the game is, and it forces death upon you in cheap, infuriating ways that will force you to restart from your nearest checkpoint. This is a game-breaking, fundamental flaw that you can't overlook.

In addition to these three complaints, there are tons upon tons of others. For example, one boss in specific requires you to actually lose. Yes, you have to lose in order to advance the game. After fighting this boss for 30 minutes, I finally gave up and figured the game was glitched. Truth is, I hated the game so much at this point, merely four hours into the game, that I wanted to commit virtual suicide, and so I stood in front of the boss and awaited my gruesome death with excitement. Then, as I was about to die, Resident Evil 6 switched to a cut scene and ruined my otherwise perfect suicide. If this doesn't exemplify how bad a game Resident Evil 6 is, I don't know what does. The game was so broken that I wanted to kill myself, yet I couldn't even commit suicide because the game is broken...

Honestly, I could give you many more reasons why I thoroughly hated Resident Evil 6. The context sensitive button presses of x+a at certain moments require inhuman timing, the dialogue is laughable, and why do I need two people to open a common door anyways? I would be typing all day if I were to detail each of my complaints. I do feel as though many of the positive reviewers for Resident Evil 6 have to be bias in some way, because I find very few redeeming qualitities in this game, and I've been playing games for a long time. If I were to list a few of the game's strong points, I would say that it gives you a fair amount of bang-for-your-buck at around 20 hours of gameplay, the graphics are fairly good, and the story is above average, but not nearly as good as people make it out to be. I assure you that these positives do not come even remotely close to compensating for the negatives. If you insist on giving the game a chance, which I strongly advise against, be certain you rent it or borrow it because this is one game I most certainly wish I had not bought for the full 65.

[Add comment]