2.0 out of 5 stars Long time Battlefield fan, first time CoD player, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Call of Duty: Ghosts [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
EDIT: I want to amend my review upfront to say that a) the lag compensation is still horrendously bad. Every death seems to feel like the other guy has a half second advantage over you. Good luck capping a flag when there's 5 different vantage points on it, and if you get hit once you're dead with no time to shoot back b) Extinction mode is actually quite fun (not worth $60, however). Very challenging and requires a lot of good teamwork (VOIP especially). I spent 6 hours playing extinction and didn't feel as bored as I did spending 20 minutes playing domination or one of the normal game modes.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I (like many others) spent most of last night playing Ghosts. I have never played a CoD game before (outside of single player), so I consider my perspective to be fresh and not biased based on "franchise fanboy-ism". For the record, I'm a mature gamer who has spent most of my FPS time playing the Battlefield series starting with Bad Company 2 and continuing to Battlefield 4.

Graphics/Sound:

My desktop has the ability to max just about every game. Ghosts, when maxed, still looks pretty bad. The graphics might have been considered "good" 10 years ago, but nowadays it's unimpressive. Blades of grass are rigid simple polygons. Everything looks like it has been "oversharpened" or "sparkled" to make it appear more high-def then it really is. The game is also quite poorly optimized. As I said previously, my desktop is extremely powerful, and the game uses just as much resources as Battlefield 4 while still looking half as good. Sound was equally disappointing. There's some music going on and surround sound kinda works (I use a 5.1 speaker setup), but it's no where near as immersive as Battlefield 4 and I didn't find myself able to use sound to my advantage. The FoV is locked to 60-something degrees which is also quite annoying and does cause a bit of motion sickness for me. I play Battlefield games at 90 degrees, and Battlefield 4 has the option of going up to 120 degrees. Clearly the technology exists to allow adjustable FoV, so why doesn't Ghosts have it?

Gameplay:

To put it gently, Ghosts caters to kids who might have hung out in the arcades of yester-year. There's very little strategy involved: mash the sprint key and hope you find someone before they see you. The lag compensation is horrendously bad. Several times I would come around a corner and be killed practically instantaneously. I don't mean "I was just a tad slow with my reflexes" - I mean "there was absolutely no chance". As much as I might complain about instadeaths in Battlefield 4, Ghosts is far worse. The only way to have a decent KDR seems to be camping a section of the map and ambushing people as they blindly sprint past you.

Exhibit B: knifing. The knifing mechanics of Ghosts is comical. Scenario: you come around a corner and bump into an opponent. Your twitch reflexes bring your gun up and shoot him 3 times in the chest, yet you still lose the fight because he spammed the knife key. I'm not "mad about being killed", but it contributes to the overall feeling that the mechanics are a joke.

Exhibit C: player movement. Several times during the night I would see players exploiting the movement system in ways that practically make no sense. Players going prone immediately when being shot, and being able to maintain perfect accuracy while doing it. Players jump + shooting without any accuracy penalty that other games implemented long ago to discourage such behavior.

Conclusion:

You'll probably enjoy Ghosts if you're a fan of CoD. The game is a good way to waste a couple of hours, but as a serious FPS it's lacking. If you're trying to decide between Battlefield 4 and CoD: Ghosts, buy Battlefield 4 for the visual fidelity alone. Infinity Ward and Activision should be ashamed for putting out a game that looks and feels like something that should cost $5 on a Steam sale.

System Specs: