The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Blue Car Tested Positive for Lead Paint, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Car Carrier (Toy)
I bought this for my 2-year old son who LOVES playing with it, but I don't let him use the blue car after it tested positive for lead paint.

Here is the background: A local non-profit was having a free toy testing event for lead. I brought in some older toys and, on a whim, I grabbed all the cars associated with this product. I was shocked to find out that the blue car tested positive for lead (63 ppm using a x-ray fluorescence machine). I called the 800 number for "Melissa and Doug." They assured me that all their products meet or exceed current regulations and that they do consistent testing for all their paints. They also said that they test using a "leachability" test which is a more accurate test than the x-ray fluorescence. They said they would send me the test results of that particular paint batch so I could review the results, but I was never sent anything. In the end, I am really dissappointed that a company promoting safe, non-toxic toys would allow any lead in their paint at all - and now I am reluctant to buy anything from this company again.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 22, 2011 8:23:41 AM PST
Dear Amazon Customer,

Can you please send me an email so we can address this directly and answer all of your questions.
Drew@MelissaAndDoug.com

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 43 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 8:23:41 AM PST
Dear Amazon Customer,

Drew@MelissaAndDoug.com

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 11:42:56 PM PST
I live in Vietnam and have boughts tons of Melissa and Doug toys from the US. Unfortunately, I can't have the toys tested but noticed that the paint was already chipping off the fruit and vegetables after only six months of play. I am a bit dissapointed at the quality and think I may have to switch to Plan toys although they are more expensive. China and chipping paint does not make me feel secure..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:34:05 PM PST
E. says:
Nga, which M&D fruit/vegie toy has paint falling off? Can you pls describe the set? ...I just ordered one. Thanks

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 2:59:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2011 3:08:46 PM PST
Ocean Breeze says:
I am troubled by this. The presence of lead is highly disturbing on toys that are guaranteed to be mouthed by most toddlers. And the reported lack of follow-through from the manufacturer regarding the paint batch data is worrisome.

This review is rather meaningful given that the reviewer took steps to address this matter with M&D which is more than would be expected of busy parents, or pretty much anyone. Buying a product should not mean that the customer has to do due diligence on every single component or aspect of it, or reverse engineer it to make sure it does not contain known harmful substances. Or, to play arbitrator over which lead testing method is more reliable. If I made a supposedly lead-free toy and a customer told me that that some form of testing showed it contains lead, I would request the toy back from the customer, obtain contact information for the non-profit that did the xray test, and try to work with everyone involved to get to the bottom of this.

Most people understand how delicate and vulnerable babies and kids are and how important it is to not expose them to harmful substances that might have lifelong effects.

We were about to purchase several M&D toys but after reading this, we are going to look at other brands.

Regrettably, after several incidents like this, we are having to check what products are banned or recalled in other countries with more strict regulatory systems before buying. It's time consuming, and it has resulted in fewer but safer toys.

P.S. @Drew (at MelissaAndDoug.com). I would hope that the customer follow-through you are showing here would take place the first time the customer contacts your company. It is not helpful to anyone if the customer has to go public in order for M&D to provide a response.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 3:00:00 PM PST
J. Kalm says:
It is worth pointing out that the current CPSC regulations for lead safety say that the amount of lead detectable in surface paint cannot exceed 90ppm. So, a reading of 63ppm is well within current safety limits. Also keep in mind that the 90ppm limit came about in 2009 as a part of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, and that it had been 600ppm. As such, I would have no fear at all of letting a child handle a toy with only 63ppm.

I suggest that the author of this review check the facts <http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/101faq.html> and then retract his or her review.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 6:25:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 6:26:35 AM PST
S. Turnau says:
With what we know today about the power of lobbies how do we know whether companies that are importing toys with even under 90ppm is really safe, or that individual toys are accurately tested to conform to standards? I hate to feel this way, but I am losing faith in our CPSC system since the big push for more and more deregulation.

USA: Official probe into enforcement opt-outs:
"A US scheme that allows "model" firms to opt-out of official workplace safety inspections is the subject of a top level investigation. A federal task force is conducting a "top-to-bottom review" of the controversial Voluntary Protection Programme (VPP), a top Department of Labor official has confirmed."
from CPI news release * In These Times * Risks 538 * 14 January 2012

Posted on May 9, 2012 9:31:59 AM PDT
Sylpet says:
I would love to know what the result of this discussion.
I'm a mom myself and love wooden toys. If lead was in this company's toys, I would never buy it again.
Please let me know.
Thank you.
Sylvie

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:09:45 PM PDT
J. Kalm says:
Well Sylvie, it really isn't a question of if lead was in the company's toys, but rather how much lead was in the companies toys. I would be willing to wager that there is some small quantity of lead in every toy you have ever bought, just as their are little pieces of insect in every chocolate bar you have ever purchased. It is all a matter of degree.

Nothing that anyone has written here has suggested that the lead present in this toy exceeds the safe levels established by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Ultimately it is up to you to decide whether the CPSC's standards are sufficient based on your personal tolerance for risk. If they are not, then I suggest hiring someone who has a lead testing device to test every item in your house, because those items are only manufactured to meet CPSC standards.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 5:35:13 AM PDT
Sylpet says:
Do you have a child ? Do you care about our planet ? It's not just a question of following someone else rules, even from a Safety Commission. It's a question of realizing that some things are wrong and we should do something about it. If I can avoid some bad stuff for my child, I'll go for it. If you prefer to eat, smell and breath anything, then, yes, you are a good consumer of the 21th century. Sorry,nothing personal.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:30:55 AM PDT
Sylpet,

Please call us at 800-284-3948 and ask for Beth Miller who will assist you. We would be more than happy to discuss our testing, and to answer your questions.

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (869 customer reviews)

$19.99 $15.79