4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens for FX (and hands-on review), September 21, 2010
This review is from: Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Auto Focus-S Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR (Camera)
I pre-ordered this lens when it was first announced and received my copy about a week ago. On receipt I did a quick test against other lenses. Since then, I've been using the lens on my Nikon D700 (FX format) body to make images for publication. I am really liking the lens; it fits right in with my intended use. Following is the review that "fits" here; There is a lot more including comparison images posted on my blog at [...].

I am a working professional who shoots primarily destination and travel photographs while on the move. I shoot a lot in foreign destinations and on a budget, where I need to travel light and don't want to make myself a lucrative target (festooned with lots of camera gear). I also don't have the weight allowance, enough hands, or the desire to carry extra camera bodies or swap lenses for each and every shot (that is, if I can possibly avoid it). When traveling, I am usually out exploring and must carry all my gear for the whole day, "sun-up to sundown" (along with water, map, guidebook, jacket, etc., etc., and etc.). In the field I often carry a few lenses to cover the situations I expect through a whole day of touring, but I normally have one "walking around" lens on my camera when I go exploring. This new 28-300mm zoom lens is shaping up to be my go-to travel and "walking around" lens. For me, this lens effectively replaces the 18-200mm DX lens that was once my favorite before I upgraded from DX to FX.

My copy of this lens produces images that are contrasty and sharp to the eye at just about every focal length; Overall image quality is quite good across the entire zoom range. There is very little light fall-off from center to edges at all focal lengths. My copy turns out clear, consistent results with very little effort and no more than my usual semi-automatic adjustments and tweaks in photo management software. So far, I have not noticed much flare (though of course there is some, especially when shooting with the lens pointed upwards and toward the sun). I haven't yet calibrated for a lens profile, but at first blush it looks to me like any correction needed will be easily managed in Adobe (or other software). I would be comfortable submitting results from this lens for publication at almost all focal lengths -- in fact, it is better than other lenses I have used in the past for images that have recently ended up on mass-market magazine covers. Based on my testing and experience to date, I expect this lens will become a favorite.

In short: Recommended. For the price (right about $1,000), there is really no competition. If you're looking for an all-in-one zoom in this range, just get it. (However, note: If you are using a DX-format camera, you might better consider the excellent DX equivalent, the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras. The DX 18-200mm lens provides the same effective zoom range in DX format as this 28-300mm does for FX cameras, and it is really very sharp and highly considered. I'd still have mine if I hadn't gone up to an FX-format body.)

If you would like to read more about the new 28-300mm (including side-by-side comparison with other Nikon lenses in a semi-controlled test), you are welcome to read the whole review posted on my blog at thePhotoTourist.com. (There's really way too much detail -- including comparison images -- to stick it all into an Amazon review.) If you're interested, my hands-on review post is at [...].

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2011 4:27:13 PM PDT
Richard, thank you for your review. I'm just developing a keen interest in photography so I'm a little behind in certain respects. In this case, I wasn't aware of the optimized lens considerations as a camera body may be DX which would indicate a DX lens would be more effective than an FX lens. I still don't know the difference between DX and FX but suppose I'll figure that out now. Thanks for the tip on getting the DX 18-200mm lens if you've got a DX-format camera. You saved me a few drachmas because I was about the purchase the FX-format 28-300mm.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›