5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid, Easy-to-Use, Camera, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom, HD Video Capture and 3.0-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen LCD (Blue) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:25 Mins

==========
IMPORTANT UPDATE February 9, 2012: It has just been announced that Kodak is exiting the digital camera business. Please see Comment #7 for further details. Nonetheless, because it is so good, I still highly recommend buying this camera.
==========

I am very pleased with this little Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 Digital Camera (Blue) and I am certain than anyone buying one will be just as pleased.

Ease of use is very important, in my opinion, in small cameras such as this which are meant for snapshots, both candid and posed. When taking such pictures, the user often does not have the time nor the inclination to play with camera settings. He or she just wants to turn the camera on and take the pictures (or videos) quickly - and have them turn out perfectly.

That's what you will achieve with this camera 99% of the time - and that with just using the Smart Capture mode.

Turning on is almost instantaneous and turning off is equally quick.

You can see from my video that the camera adjusts to scenes with different light levels quickly and unobtrusively. Focus is automatic (of course) and very quick. (When taking video, sound is recorded even when zooming.)

Not only do videos turn out perfectly, so do still pictures - and without any extraneous input from the photographer.

Just turn it on and fire away.

Of course this camera is primarily intended for stills. (I do not know of any way to add a still picture to this review; that's why I attached a video taken with the camera. At least you can see the quality of the images it produces.)

(Regarding video, I might mention that, contrary to the printed instruction manual which shows an option of video at 1920 x 1080, and contrary to at least one review here which states that the camera takes 1080p video, it does NOT take video at this level. It has but two options: 720p and VGA video. With a 4 GB Micro-SDHC card, this translates to 29 minutes at 720p and 2 and a half hours at VGA level. My video was taken at 720p.)

I very much like the touchscreen controls and I have to admit that I was somewhat apprehensive about them. I needn't have been. They are as easy to use as is possible and, as I indicated, you do not actually have to use them if you don't want to. Your pictures will almost always turn out just the way you want them.

The colors produced are vivid and beautiful (as you can see in the video, taken on a Fall afternoon around 3:30 PM). Different color types are available and easily accessed for those who wish to modify the look of pictures; even black-and-white and sepia tone are offered.

For those who are more advanced, there are options offered in-camera to crop a picture, adjust its color, and several other things besides. (I have not as yet used these options.) Videos, likewise, can be edited in-camera. These options are really nice to have and can prove very useful to many people. In other words, you can improve your photographic results without the need to buy expensive computer programs and your photographic knowledge can improve without outgrowing the camera.

There are also several other settings, including a Program (programmable) setting, for those who wish to exercise more control of their pictures. This Program setting too is extremely easy to use.

I REALLY like the facial-recognition feature and the ability to automatically (or manually) 'tag' pictures with the names of people. Not only does this feature allow identification of people when viewing the pictures on the camera's screen, the tags carry over when you download the pictures onto your computer. (I use a Linux viewing program called Gwenview and, when I view a picture tagged via this camera, the name(s) of the people are clearly displayed. I am sure that other image viewing programs available for Windows and Mac will do the same thing.)

Now to the nitty-gritty. This camera has a Schneider-KREUZNACH lens which appears to be of good quality (this company has always had a good reputation). It features an optical zoom ratio of 5:1 (equivalent to a 28-140 mm lens on a 35 mm camera) which is adequate for most people and will not require the use of a tripod (as do lenses of large zoom ratios). By the way, if you do use a tripod, you will find that a tripod mount will not interfere with battery/Micro-SD card access.

The lens is somewhat slow (f 3.9 - 5.7) which is about the norm for cameras of this class. It is unfortunate that it is not somewhat faster (allowing more light to be registered). With such a small camera and with so many mega-pixels (16) crowded into a tiny sensor, "noise" ("grain" in film image terminology) is inevitable under low-light conditions when pictures are taken without flash. While this "noise" is not inordinately obtrusive under normal household illumination, critical viewers will easily be able to spot it.

The camera does have several flash options, all easily accessible from the main screen (even in Smart Capture mode); you can set the flash to Auto Flash, Always-on Flash (for use outdoors when you want fill-in flash), Auto-Red-Eye removal (pre-fires a small flash so the subject's pupils contract somewhat), or No Flash at all. (Even with Smart Capture, there are certain things that you yourself will have to "tell" the camera what you want.) Using flash will alleviate any "noise" problem indoors under low light.

While the camera does have a small capacity built-in memory, you will definitely want to buy an optional Micro-SDHC card. I bought this Kodak micro SD 4 GB Class 2 Flash Memory Card with SD Adapter KSDMI4GBPSBNAA. This one is inexpensive and comes complete with an SD adapter, necessary to use to insert the card into most computers which have card readers. (I do not know why Kodak chose to use the Micro SD format which is much less widely used than the "plain" SD format; we have a Fujifilm FinePix T300 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens (Black) which is just about the same size as this Kodak and it uses a normal SD card. The Micro-SD size is awfully small, especially for my fingers. But there it is.) 4 GB offers 749 pictures at the maximum quality (much more at lesser quality). That's a lot of pictures!

I also bought this Kodak 1972736 Hard Camera Case (Black) from Amazon. (Right now it is selling for $2.99! Other colors are available but they cost $12.99. So I "settled" for black!) It is a very nice case offering good protection. It also has room for an extra Micro-SDHC card as well as a spare battery or two.

Regarding spare batteries and external chargers: do NOT buy Kodak's offerings. They are too costly. Buy this 2Pcs Battery+Charger for Fuji NP-45 NP-45A instead. Not only do you get an external charger, you get not one but TWO spare batteries. PLEASE NOTE: The NP-45 battery is exactly the same as the Kodak Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery KLIC-7006 used in the camera. Just compare the prices for their battery and their charger.

To protect the LCD screen I strongly recommend this 3x Kodak Easyshare M5370 Camera Premium Invisible Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Protective Film Kit (3 Pieces). It is very inexpensive, it fits perfectly, and it is easy to apply. Plus, in the package, you get three shields; you can use the other two for any other appropriately-sized product you may have.

As I use a variant of the Linux computer operating system and Kodak does not support this, I cannot comment on photo sharing. Frankly, I have no interest in that (I do not belong to Facebook, Twitter, or any other social network) but, knowing Kodak, I am sure that their sharing function works well and is easy to use. I'll refer you to other reviews here which may comment about this feature in much greater detail.

To sum up, I like this little camera very much. The pictures produced by it are exemplary. No one need ever be embarrassed by their quality. The same applies to the video produced by it. I plan to carry it wherever I go; I have always wanted to do this (there have been several times when I wished I had a camera along when I saw something which would make a nice photo) but, until now, I did not have the means for doing so. (I do not have a "smart" cell phone and, in any case, most of the pictures I have seen produced with such cameras do not match the quality of a dedicated camera, at least in my opinion.) So this one will be with me always. It will not replace my "main" camera (a much more sophisticated model) but being so small and of such high quality, it may be available when my "main" one is not.

Obviously I give it a very high recommendation. I thank you for reading this, for watching my video, and for considering my opinions.

==========

Update: December 6, 2011

Courtesy of Amazon Vine, I now own both this Fujifilm FinePix T300 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens (Black) and this Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom, HD Video Capture and 3.0-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen LCD (Blue).

The Fujifilm camera has many more possible adjustments than does the Kodak plus it has a 10:1 zoom lens as opposed to the Kodak's 5:1 lens but the Kodak is much the easier of the two to use.

I have taken some pictures back-to-back with both and, at least in my opinion, pictures taken with both are nearly identical in quality.

Since the Kodak is the easier to use, I have given it to my wife and I myself will use the Fujifilm model.

But either would make a fine choice and I am very pleased with both of them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 1:40:15 PM PST
ScorpioMoon says:
Thank you for the excellent, detailed review..
Helped me decide on a camera for a gift...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 2:28:30 PM PST
Dear 'ScorpioMoon',

I am sure that the person who is the recipient of your gift will be very happy with it.

Thank you for your very nice comment on my review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 9:42:15 AM PST
Donna Thrash says:
Does it have a cbarger with it?
WONDERFUL DESCRIPTION!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 6:58:56 AM PST
Dear Ms. Thrash,

Yes the camera does come complete with a charger and I should have made this clear in my review.

But the Kodak-supplied charger will work only from an AC mains socket whereas the very inexpensive 'extra' charger I recommend not only works from AC, it also works in your car. Plus it comes with TWO spare batteries (giving you a total of three) - and all this for less than $9.00!

If you do buy the camera (and the more I use it, the more I like it), I strongly recommend that you also consider buying this 'extra' charger. You'll also need a media card and the Kodak one I recommend works perfectly and is sold at a good price here on Amazon (I now have two of those cards - I strongly believe in having 'backups.')

I think that anyone who buys or receives this camera as a gift will be very pleased with it.

Thank you for writing to me and for your very nice compliment on my review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 12:01:38 AM PST
pretty girl says:
hi lawrence,
what a review, it was outstanding! i dont know much about all these new camera's so i just highlight what you said to get . that way i'll have everything and then i can teach myself how to use it. you made it sound so easy. i never read a review like that one but if all products came with all the info. like that i'd be broke!!
thank you so much for all the work and deciation you put into your reviews.

thanks dklance

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 8:24:57 AM PST
Dear Ms. Lance,

I don't write many reviews but, for the ones I do write, I try to make as certainly as possible that my facts are correct and that my own opinions are expressed as clearly as I am able. I can't thank you enough for your extremely nice comment. It makes the effort really worthwhile and gratifying for me. Gratifying because one always feels happy when one is able to help someone.

The three accessories I recommend are either useful (the case and the external charger/extra batteries) or necessary (the Micro SD card). Fortunately, none of these accessories are expensive so, even if you buy all three along with the camera, your total bill will not be too excessive, certainly not for what you're getting..

If this will be your first digital camera, you may find it to be a bit intimidating at first. DON'T BE AFRAID OF IT! Believe me, if you are willing to play with it, you will find that it's easy to use. One of the nice things about digital cameras is that, after you own the camera, you can take all the pictures you want with it - and it doesn't cost anything! You can experiment to your heart's content (and I recommend that you do so prior to actual need). That way you'll learn the capabilities (and they are considerable) of this camera.

You can also change settings as often as you like. You CAN'T mess anything up! And if you were to change so many settings that you didn't know what you did, by merely going into the Tools section on the top menu (it has a "wrench" icon all the way to the right) and scrolling down a bit, you will see a Reset Camera option; by invoking that, you reset the camera to all the default settings, just as you had when you first opened the box.

But, as I said in my review, you don't have to change any settings at all if you don't want to. The default Smart Capture mode does everything you want at least 99% of the time (that's the setting I use for the most part).

I think these digital cameras in general and this one in particular are very satisfying. In even just the immediate short run, they are far less expensive than film cameras and you can see immediately how your shot came out. You can easily print any that you want: you can do it yourself if you have a printer or you can take the Micro SD card and its adapter to any supermarket or drug store and print the ones you want very inexpensively. Plus, you can do what I do. I do not print many pictures. I just leave them on my computer and view them there. That way I do not have to delete any. The ones which are really good I print. The others I do not - but I still have them. (This is much more convenient than keeping boxes of negatives as in the old days.)

Regarding this particular camera, the more I use it the more I like it. I have taken TONS of pictures with it, mostly of our little granddaughter (who loves looking at pictures, both of herself and pictures of her parents and us). She is a ball of fire, constantly on the move. But taking pictures of her with this camera is easy. Not only does it "stop" her movement, it even recognizes her and labels any images of her with her name. (You'll have to learn for yourself how to set this up but, believe me, it's easy.)

I hope you have a lot of fun with the camera and that it brings you many years of enjoyment.

Thank you again VERY MUCH for your sweet comment.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 12:35:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2012 6:31:51 AM PDT
February 9, 2012: It has just been announced that Kodak is exiting the digital camera business. You can read the details here: < http://www.pcworld.com/article/249650/kodak_axing_digital_cameras_business.html#tk.nl_dnx_t_crawl >.

What's truly amazing (and sad) is the fact that Kodak INVENTED the digital camera back in 1975 (see: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera >). They were never able (or they were unwilling) to capitalize on this remarkable breakthrough (because they thought that it would jeopardize their film business which had a profit - to them - of 75%!) and it is now the digital revolution they invented which is bringing them down.

I predict that the whole company will cease to exist. This is terrible news for those of us who have known and dealt with the Kodak company for many years. I myself had some dealings with them many years ago and they treated me as though I were a king. I have always been completely satisfied with any and all Kodak products I have purchased and I have tried to buy their products whenever possible. (I still own EVERY Kodak product I have ever purchased; I even own - and it continues to function perfectly; it even looks brand-new! - the Kodak Model 70A 8mm projector my late father purchased in 1939!)

This particular camera, Kodak Easyshare Touch M5370 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom, HD Video Capture and 3.0-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen LCD (Blue), remains a favorite of mine (and, especially, of my wife) and, based just on its merits, I can continue to recommend it highly.

Kodak claims that it will take care of any problems under warranty. But after the warranty period expires, then what?

Of course I am sure that few people, if any, would want to have this low-priced camera serviced out of warranty in the event it should fail; most people would merely discard it and buy another camera. (Based on my experiences with it thus far, I predict that it will last a LONG time!) Should you be concerned about the demise of Kodak's camera business, a fine alternative to consider would be the Fujifilm FinePix T300 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens (Black), a model I also own and which is priced similarly to this Kodak one. I happen to like the Kodak a bit better (mostly due to its touch screen controls and its superb ability to recognize people [up to 8] and AUTOMATICALLY 'tag' photos of them with their name) but the Fujifilm model has much more in the way of pure photographic capabilities (as well as a 10:1 zoom lens).

In conclusion, I still highly recommend this particular Kodak model; it is extremely well-built, it is well-designed, and it is as easy to use as can be. Plus its current price is 'right.'

Goodbye Kodak. I'm truly going to miss this company. This is just about the saddest comment I have ever written here on Amazon. I thank you for reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 12:38:08 PM PST
pandag says:
Dear Lawrence,
I have carefully read your reviews for this camera and its accessories and have decided to get it all. I, too, was dismayed to hear that Kodak was going out of business - really hard to believe that they will no longer be making cameras! Their name is synonymous with cameras. Having had two (2) imported cameras that cost ~ $500 ea. just die for no discernible reason, have sworn off more expensive digital cameras even if I could afford them now. I do have an Olympus 35mm 28- 100 that I've had for many years and it's always worked just fine, however, not always the best camera to take along plus the whole thing of developing pictures, etc., and I also have a Nokia 6085 cell phone that does take pictures and they, as you say, do leave something to be desired. So, long story short, thank you so much for having done all this homework for the rest of us and also for the addendum. Am very excited and looking forward to using this camera. BTW, your video was lovely, very nice quality to my eye. And can't seem to find it now, but thought you mentioned that the camera could be charged on one's computer too? Am probably dreaming this part... Love that one can get by quite nicely just using the one setting for both video and still pictures. Cheers, PamG.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 8:07:02 AM PST
Dear PamG.,

Thank you very much for writing to me and for your very nice compliment. I have been a photography enthusiast since childhood - my first camera was a Kodak box camera which took 620 film and my first 35mm was an Argus A-4 (I still have it and it still works!).

I like nice cameras. Ten years ago I bought an Canon PowerShot G2 which I am still currently using but, since that time, I have been looking for something "better." I finally found a fine camera which was enough to tempt me to order it: the new, as yet unreleased, Canon G1 X 14.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 4x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom Lens Full 1080p HD Video and 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD which I ordered from Amazon and which should arrive in early April 2012.

That being said, it is not always convenient to carry about a relatively large camera - and sometimes, even though I'm not planning to take pictures, I just want a small camera to have with me (after all, the "best" camera is the one you have with you!).

This little Kodak model fills the bill. Small and lightweight, easy on batteries, and capable of producing fine pictures, it is the one I carry wherever I go. (My wife uses her Fujifilm FinePix T300 14 MP Digital Camera with Fujinon 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom Lens (Black), another very capable and convenient small camera.)

I too am VERY saddened by Kodak's apparent demise (if they don't make cameras, what WILL they make?). The company may linger on for a few more years but I am afraid it's only a matter of time before they're history.

I am glad that I have this particular Kodak camera. Though made in China (isn't everything?), it appears to be constructed with a great deal of integrity. And it's easy to use (even easier than my wife's Fujifilm model).

At least we know that Kodak will fully support the one-year warranty.

I like it and I'm sure you will too.

Thanks again for writing.

Lawrence H. Bulk

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:26:34 AM PDT
pandag says:
Dear LawrenceH,
I have just copied the comments so that I can print them out to use as a guide to understand more what I'm doing. Love the camera size and have charged it, but not set it up yet. I did buy the case, Hard Case for Kodak EasyShare Digital Cameras, although believe it's different from what you recommended but it is a very nice case! I also got the 2Pcs Battery+Charger for Fuji NP-45 NP-45A, so I assume this is to have charged as a backup for the battery? How long do you find the battery to last before recharging if it's possible to say.
I have a memory card and adapter in a small plastic case that am not sure about, i.e. if there is already one in the camera or not? Have to gather courage to figure all this out. So, by this Friday it will hopefully be sorted out as am taking it down to the city for visit with grandchildren :) Cheers, Pamg.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›