5.0 out of 5 stars One happy Kindle user, March 24, 2011
This review is from: HTML, XHTML and CSS All-In-One For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I revised this review February 7, 2012. I have amended my original rating of 3 stars all the way to 5. The companion CD issue has been completely resolved to my total satisfaction. Read my attached addendum below for a full explanation and useful directions to obtain the CD content.

Originally titled "Not Kind to the Kindle User"
I purchased this book as kind of an experiment. I wanted to see how I would like using it on a Kindle. As anyone who uses many reference books knows, they can be bulky and hard to manage. Having them on the Kindle seemed to be a good idea and it does take care of the bulky and hard to manage problem, but seeing the graphical figures has it's difficulties on a Kindle as they are kind of small and a bit out of focus. Also the paper version of this book comes with a companion CD which is not provided with the Kindle version, nor is there a site where one can download the CD's contents. The book is well written and full of good information as far as I can tell, but I feel ripped of concerning the lack of the CD. I tried resolving this by contacting Amazon, the publisher and the author. No help from anyone. Amazon did offer to remove the book from my Kindle and refund my money or send me the paper book and CD. I decided to muddle on as the author does tell you where you can download various free programs, etc. which he included on the CD, but this must be discovered as you you read through the book. I may just be being nit-picky, but I would have preferred to have been provide everything I thought I was paying for instead of being given extra work. My honest opinion is that neither the publisher or Amazon even considered the CD situation when publishing the Kindle version, so nothing was done to cover that issue. Next time if a CD is provided as part of the package for a reference book I probably will not purchase the Kindle version unless it is clearly stated that they have a suitable workaround for the Kindle customer.

2012-02-07
I had personal life stuff come up this past year and had to put my self education aside for a while. Now I'm back at it and I took another stab at getting the information I was missing from the companion CD. I'm happy to say that this has all been cleared up with the personal attention and help of the author, Andy Harris. My prior complain has been completely resolved and should not be a concern to anyone else wishing to purchase a Kindle version of this book. Andy Harris, the author, has done a fine job to make the CD content easily and conveniently available at his personal website at the following links. For the free software recommendations and corresponding links, you will find them well organized and easy to access at [...] The code and files the author references in the book can be found at [...] (HEADS UP! The similar link in Book-One Chapter 6 "Adding Images" has a type-O and is missing the under_bar ([...] it will not get you there.) Thanks to the coding samples provided at the second link, even as a Kindle book owner, I can happily work along with author as he expertly takes me through the process of professional website coding.

Do I sound happy? I am, and I have good reason to be. As I mentioned in my initial review this is a well written book sprinkled with humor which keeps it interesting and a pleasure to read. And it's on my kindle along with many other books. My sagging opinion of Kindle as a tool to organize my reference books has been bolstered. Now I can see a future that includes taking all those reference books with me where ever I go. Even the gigantic ones!

"Sir, Is that slender, light weight, carry on bag really full of books?
"Why yes, yes it is".

Additionally, I have downloaded the free Kindle app from Amazon for my computer, so I can switch willy-nilly to my laptop and enjoy reading this very same reference book in color while I follow along and work with the internet available code samples.

I should also mention that Andy Harris has written a number of other technology books covering web based coding, game programing etc., that I hope to read on my Kindle as my need arises. Ain't life grand!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2011 9:57:28 AM PDT
Sorry I did not respond to you. I do not recall getting an email from you. However, I do have every program and a link to all software available on my main site:

You can view every single program in the book. I do not have direct downloads to the software packages (because they frequently change) but I do have a link to every program referenced in the book. All are freely available whether you have purchased the book or not.

Of course I wish to support e-book customers. I pledge to always have online content available in addition to the CD-ROM. In fact, the online content is often preferable, as I can fix typos and respond to reader issues directly on the web site.

-Andy (author)

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 5:38:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 2, 2012 5:38:24 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

Out of stock