31 of 33 people found the following review helpful
This is real rock,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Backtracks (2CD+DVD) (Audio CD)
Amazon delivered this right on release day. I immediately started up CD #1. These are the songs that have been on foreign releases only to be heard on expensive imports or murky copies floating around. Now they are remastered and bring Bon Scott back from the dead and some lost tracks from Brian Johnson. It does make a fan wish that there were two parallel AC/DC bands creating music over the last thirty years with Bon Scott still penning lyrics and singing in version 1 and Brian singing in version 2.
1. Stick Around: Bon Scott: 9/10
2. Love Song: Bon Scott: A ballady song. Glad they only made one love song. Still good to hear Bon. great guitar
3. Fling Thing: Primarily an instrumental right out of a Scottish pub.
4. RIP: Bon Scott: A cranker upper 8/10
5. Carry Me Home: Bon Scott:
6. Crabsody in Blue: Bon. Lyrics only Bon would sing. It will make you itch hearing about getting crabs. 9/10
7. Cold Hearted Man: Bon. Dark lyrics, blues style guitar. 10/10
8. Snake Eyes: Brian Johnson One of the better 80s tracks
9. Borrowed Time: Brian Good stadium thumper
10. Down on the Borderline: Great rhythm and Brian in great voice 8/10
11. Big Gun: The only thing good about Last Action Hero. The video on disk #3 is hilarious. Arnold carrying around Angus like a little Chucky doll.
12. Cyberspace: Ac/dc singing about computer stuff. Good to have, but like the Love Song, there was a reason to keep in a B-side. Still, fun to listen to.
CD #2: Live tracks. I wish there was more of Bon era live stuff. Brian's era is recorded with higher end equipment and he tears the roof off material never released live before on CD.
DVD: Rock and Roll with Angus turning up in the strangest places. The making of video makes you appreciate the fact that Angus is willing to take some risks, do all of his own stunts and put himself in harm's way. Reveals what a great band they are still having fun making blistering rock.