4.0 out of 5 stars Rugged and built to last but lacking in features., June 9, 2008
This review is from: Casio Men's G100-1BV "G-Shock" Watch in Black Resin (Watch)
I have been a fan of Casio watches for quite a while. I always liked them for the numerous features that each watch contained for what I considered a reasonable price. This is my first G-Shock however and while I love it, I feel the guys at Caiso should have packed more features in this model.

Now, I know that we are only talking about a watch here but when you spend $60 on something that tells time and only has a few extra features (aside from its' rugged design) I guess that you'd expect more.

As for the design, what can I say, it is built like an Abrams' tank. This thing was made to take the abuse. The band is thick and so is the watch case although on the wrist, it doesn't feel too heavy. The watch is listed at being water-resistant to 200 meters or 20 Bar of pressure. I am not too good with metric conversion but I would imagine that is deeper than most people would ever encounter in their lives.

The hands and numbers are easy to read but I am going to continue a complaint that others at amazon.com have also mentioned, the hands cover the LCD screen on the bottom of the watch from about 4:30 to 7:50. As the watch hands are not back-lit (they have a glowing material coated on them but it only lasts a few hours), this can make it hard to read the time in the dark, especially if you use the LCD back-light but the hands cover the screen.

Also, I was a bit disappointed with the spartan number of features this watch has. I ordered my wife a pink Baby-G at the same time and her watch has many, many more features than mine including a full face back-light (something even the cheapest Wal-Mart watch has) multiple alarms, multiple tones, a countdown timer (something my G doesn't have) and much more.

On the LCD of my G-shock, you can choose between a display that contains Day, Date, and day of the week, a digital display of the time, one alarm, a stopwatch (but no countdown timer) and a dual time display (helpful if you travel between time zones.)

I feel that it is for the lack of features and some lighting issues that I cannot give this watch 5 stars. It is the watches overall ruggedness and easy to read (in the day-light) hands that keep me wearing it everyday. Think of this watch as a basic military spec Humvee, functional features and a rugged, go anywhere design, but lacking luxuries.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]