1.0 out of 5 stars False Reviews???, August 10, 2007
This review is from: Eclipse (Twilight) (Hardcover)
My Original review on Aug. 10:
After finishing this book, I have no idea why it was written other than an excited writer's desire to fulfill a publisher's request as soon as possible. The writing was unevolved, and the sheer number of editorial errors proves how quickly both editor and author worked to release this book. Most of the issues that were brought up in the first two books were dropped in this one. To make matters worse, new issues abound that make the "willing suspension of disbelief" impossible, plot points are picked up and ignored randomly without any real twists or conclusions (except Vicky, of course), and you aren't really left with a character to love: Jake's forceful and annoying, Bella's negative and a martyr, Alice is pushy and superficial, and Edward is far too selfless.

The first and last part of the book is filled with bickering and grumbling which is used to set a stage for Meyer's beautiful and witty sarcasm, but does little to enhance the plot. Without ruining anything, I'll just say that there actually comes a point where Bella has to resign herself to being with Edward. In general, the relationship between them is so obviously codependent and unhealthy, without any basis in a reality, that it's lost all of its original touching reluctance. By the end of the book, Bella's constant victim-stance, her bickering, complaining, whining, and general inability to be happy has ruined the book.

UPDATE September 3, 2007: I am now absolutely DISGUSTED with both Meyers and her publisher. As soon as the rating fell below four stars, and almost all of the reviews commented on the same negative attributes, suddenly the reviews are flooded with five star, four sentence reviews from people who have nearly identical reviews on every other books they've posted for - falling in line with the newer trend of buying reviews for books. Shame on you Ms. Meyers for not letting your product stand on its own, and shame on you for disrespecting the loyal followers of your series in such a manner by telling them that their opinions are worth as much as cheaply bought props.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 17, 2007 7:24:08 PM PDT
Mara E. says:
The cheap three sentence, five-star reviews are either from morons with brain capacity enough to type simple sentence structure or you are correct in that the publisher has flooded the site with positive, stupid reviews. Either way, the book and series isn't impressive and thankfully we can be glad to know it will never pop up as classic literature in the future. Brilliant marketing can't dictate such a thing, thank goodness. ;)

Posted on Oct 13, 2007 4:46:19 PM PDT
Michelle says:
Thanks for THIS review! I am SO disappointed with Eclipse! I really loved the first two books, and this one is just so very hard to read in comparison. I put it down for quite awhile and have now picked it up to try to finish it, but it's like a chore. I gobbled up the first two in probably a couple days each. Your review was really interesting. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 13, 2007 4:46:38 PM PDT
Michelle says:

Posted on Mar 8, 2008 6:52:31 AM PST
You CANNOT automatically assume that all those five-star ratings are from Mrs. Meyers and her publisher. I myself rated gave this book five stars, simply because I am in love with this series. Is that so wrong? You're pointing fingers, but you have no proof! You cannot ASSUME things! Besides-- this series is QUITE popular. Why should it be surprising that there was as sudden flood of five-stars? What? Did you think you were gonna be the last person to review for this book, and like an army, people were gonna march right behind you and support your opinions?

I think not.

It depends on taste, really. I hate it when people burn books. It doesn't get me angry, but rather makes me laugh. I mean, I like seeing things in different views, but come on. Everyone interprets the characters differently, everything views things differently. Really! Just think about it: you're getting chased after a mad, wild vampire! You OBVIOUSLY can't defend yourself! Who're you gonna turn to?

Yeah. This book shows all the connections she has. How strongly she stands with the Cullens and how her relationship with Edward and Jacob has torn her in two. It IS possible to fall in love with two people, and let me tell you, I hate it when people whine and fuss about New Moon, about how she acted so weak and wouldn't stop moping (though you didn't say any of that).

I thin it's perfectly natural. It takes a VERY long time get over the person you fell in love with. Seriously. Lucky for her, she was fortunate enough to get Edward back. Dang. Lucky girl, eh? Some people aren't that fortunate.

Anywho, to sum things up: books are made for people to like. But with the fame comes the dislike. Not everyone will like a book. That's literally impossible.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 5:09:52 PM PDT
RVance says:
I agree with Adel M. Mekraz.

Stephenie Meyer has zounds of loyal fans (I'm one of them) whose first instinct is to attack back when they see negative reviews of their favorite book series. Some of those fans might have seen your review, told their friends--who told THEIR friends--and then responded with stars and positive comments.

Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion of the book(s), but I think you've reacted poorly in assuming it was Stephenie and/or her publisher who are responsible for the increase in positive ratings.

Posted on May 15, 2008 4:01:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2008 4:02:26 PM PDT
Princessa says:
Loved your review!
What a waste of trees. I'm a librarian and I needed to read this book (skipped New Moon) and I swear, I die each day I pick up this copy to read from my library. How frackin' boring and meaningless! It's an insult to all bright 12-year olds who would die for Bella and Edward. Is this the kind of story they deserve? I applaud any efforts for a kid to pick up a book, but this is capitalism at its worst. Meyer is as close as winning a lottery ticket with this highway-robbery of a series. Shame on you Meyer. Shame on you.

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 8:19:57 PM PST
I totally agree..Patricia Cornwell did the same thing with her last book to get the stars up...Amazon needs be more attentive to this obvious manipulation of their review system..really, it's a joke..this book is HORRIBLE..the writing is subpar and Bella is one of the most annoying character ive ever read in fiction..the books a creepy frankly..i mean a 100 yr old vampire who is obsessed with a 17 yr old girl?..what i think is the most hilarious is that SW an practicing Mormon would make her Edward, such an obvious closet case..i mean in 100 yrs he's never met a woman he wanted..he's gives women his mother jewelry and Bella is more physically interested in him than he is her..it really makes me ill, that SW is making so much money off of this subpar tome..and it makes me wince to think teenage girls look up to Bella and want Edward..ugg

Posted on Dec 26, 2008 9:07:13 PM PST
G. Bell says:
Honestly I didn't realize that could happen, the falsified reviews. That explains some of the crappy books that I purchase on here, trusting the fan reviews, only to find that they were absolute Crap. I just got done reading Twlights, which I LOVED. I was debating whether or not to read the rest of the seires, as I've been burned several times by 'series' with a great, promising, starter book that then declines after the first book. I always read the 3 star, 2 Star and 1 Star reviews. I don't think I will be purchasing the rest of the series. I'm tired of buying garbage books. And I don't want to spoil this feeling I have after reading Twilight, which was a simple and well written love story in my opinion....I mean I thought the book was so awesome and would love to continue the great story but clearly that won't be the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 3:22:28 PM PST
L. Oleson says:
You all got to be kidding!!!! These books are the bomb! I just finished Eclipse and waiting for book 4! I cant wait til it gets here, want to kick myself for reading it too fast. I get totaly absorbed in this series. Some people just look to much into stuff (like a lil editing) I dont even notice that much. I normaly dont even read much but saw Twilight and thought what the heck. Ive read each book so far in about 2 days each because I find it hard to put down.

If you dont like the book dont read it, alot of people do enjoy it that is why I have to buy the books online they cant keep them on the shelf at my lil booksore. Quit putting down the Stephenie Meyer obviously you cant please everyone! No book can!

Posted on Jan 1, 2009 6:18:01 AM PST
D. M. Pence says:
Geeze, can some people grow up already, it's a book. Just because some people have an opposite opinion than your's does not mean the opinion is forged. I am in love with this saga. I love triangles, love competition is exactly what I was looking for when reading the book from the get go. I could eat this book up, it is soo deliciously loaded with the venom of love. I still can't decide who I would rather see with Bella. They are both so romantically drenched, I love them both! Keep writing steph, I can read these books forever!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,725 customer reviews)
 (1,880)