ARRAY(0x9ba4b60c)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the Whole Family:, August 21, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony Playstation 3 (Console)
Let me give a little bit of background before diving into a review. When the original NES came out, I was hooked. I didn't think anything could be better than Super Mario Bros. Then there was the Sega Genesis...and as I entered college, the original Playstation. Wow!

After college I settled down, got married, had children, and stopped playing games for a while. Just 2 years ago I picked up a wii "for the family" and have enjoyed it since. Mario Galaxy 2 looks great and is a great deal of fun to play...and there are other great games on the wii as well. For the record, I'd never played a PS2, PS3 or Xbox.

Don't get me wrong, the wii is great. There are a number of wii exclusives that I love. But I was still wanting something with some better graphics/games and thus began my research between xbox and ps3. Both are great systems! This was going to be harder than I thought. In the end, I felt like the game selection for the PS3 slightly outweighed that of the xbox for the family. The PS3 has LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank, as well as Uncharted/Metal Gear/etc. And while the xbox has some great exclusives as well, I was leaning toward the PS3.

When I saw that the PS3 slim increased the hard drive from 120gb to 160gb I finally bit the bullet. I was wanting to get a blu-ray player sometime so I figured I'd just get the ps3. Just set it up last night. Set-up was a breeze and the graphics, wow, they truly are stunning. As I said, the wii is great and I'll continue to play and enjoy wii-exclusive games, but compared to xbox/ps3 graphics, there really is no comparison. I'm really looking forward to NHL 11 and Gran Turismo 5 (as the wii is lacking in these types of games).

Overall, I'm thrilled with the PS3. I'm looking forward to getting my music and other media files loaded onto it and finally beginning the world of blu-ray movies and advanced gaming. While I do wish I could load files to it from a device formatted to something other than FAT, it's certainly not a deal-breaker. The PS3 works as it should, set-up is simple, has free online, great exclusive games, and so much more. Whether or not it's the right choice for you is up for you to decide. The Xbox is also a great system, but I'm happy with my final decision.

Note: Extras you may need:
- Extra controller, PS3 blu-ray remote control, and an hdmi or set of component cables depending on your video capabilities.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2010 4:01:15 PM PDT
And if you add the upcoming Move controller you will have a Wii on HD... Some exclusives of Wii will come to PS3 thanks to that controller and future games will have their HD version on PS3... but because Mario galaxy it worth have a Wii...

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 7:06:50 PM PDT
ps3 is the best choice for sure

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 7:08:02 PM PDT
jomojomo says:
yeah, the galaxy games make the wii.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 7:54:23 PM PDT
R. Abbott says:
Another thing, online play is free with PS3 but costs money with the XBox 360 (XBox Live), and Microsoft is now raising the price. I only play online about an hour per week (with my brother in another state, and even that only if neither of us is busy), so for me XBox live is about $1.50 per hour. I think I should have got a PS3 instead.

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 10:44:31 PM PDT
White Lotus says:
I think it's sad that you put such an emphasis on great graphics instead of great gameplay. It's the gameplay that sets the Wii apart from the other consoles. Yea the Blu Ray functionality is great, and adds value, but so many people place looks over gameplay. These are the same people that think a 14 megapixel camera is better than a 12 megapixel camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 6:23:49 AM PST
Alex Alban says:
Some of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games offer great gameplay, such as the Halo and Mass Effect games for the Xbox 360, and Metal Gear Solid 4 and Heavy Rain for the PS3. Greater visuals can enhance the gameplay experience, as more realistic graphics can immerse you deeper into the game.

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 5:32:06 PM PST
Can it play ps2 games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 11:34:50 AM PST
@S. Quan: Gameplay on NHL11 on the ps3 is WAY better than gameplay on any nhl2k game on the wii. And LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, are all ps3 exclusives as well. Not only do they look better than most wii games, but they have equal or superior gameplay.

The review states that there are great games on the wii and I'll continue to enjoy them. Bottom Line: I'm not a single-system fanboy. I play games on both systems.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 6:08:46 PM PST
Thomas says:
That's a great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 11:40:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2010 11:41:55 AM PST
Memento Mori says:
Hey Cameronclan23-
From Amazon's product details: "Unlike some other models of The PlayStation 3, The 160GB system does not offer backwards compatibility."

I still have my original PS3, which I purchased on the day it came out, but apparently this model doesn't play PS2 games.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,006 customer reviews)

$300.00