5.0 out of 5 stars I love this little camera!, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 520 HS 10.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full HD Video Recording (Black) (Electronics)
I received the 520HS on Saturday. I am coming from the Canon SD1000, so I loved the fact that the 520HS is the same size, but 3/4 of an ounce lighter. You can read about the features on Canon's website. I really want to comment on the face recognition feature. I took some photos on my computer to set up the face recognition. Today, I took pictures of my daughter's three month old twin girls. I was amazed that the camera recognized their faces. The camera did not use flash even though we were indoors. I must say the pictures are truly amazing. They look like a professional photographer took them. I have read some negative reviews that claim the camera gives poor low light pictures. Some reviewers did not even have a micro SD card in the camera. Well, that is not the case. The DIGIC 5 processor is exceptional for indoor shooting without a flash. The reviewers complained that they already had SD cards and did not like the fact that they would have to get a Micro SD card. I got an 8GB, Class 10, micro SD with the Amazon name for $11.99. I can't comment on the battery life yet because I have not had to recharge it. I didn't get the 530HS because I had heard negative feedback about the touch screen. The only thing other than the touch screen that is different is that the 530HS has wi-fi. The 520HS cost at least $50 less. I am leaving on a cruise and will report back when I return.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 3:42:37 PM PDT
JPnyc says:
i hope you had a nice cruise. how did your pics turn out?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:34:28 PM PDT
Ron says:
Returned from my cruise with terrific pictures. I only used the camera on automatic and was really impressed with the camera's face detection. It detected faces and knew when it should use flash if there was backlight. The camera did a good job determining whether it should use flash on indoor shots and the pictures without flash came out very natural. Flash pictures also came out good. The battery always showed a full charge at the end of the day; of course I didn't take 200 pictures a day, generally about 50 pictures and 10 short movie clips. You can buy replacement batteries on Amazon for around $10 if anyone is worried about battery life. I had an 8MB, class 10, Amazon microSD card and it never had a buffering delay when I took movies or pictures. After I came home, I attended a CAL spring football game and used the zoom quite a bit. The pictures came out great. I am not saying that the 520 HS can compete with a DSLR camera, but it certainly takes good pictures and it fits in your pocket.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 5:26:03 PM PDT
Andy says:
Hi Ron,
Thank you for the review. Would you be able to upload some sample shots when you get a chance. We're in the market for a very compact point and shoot.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 5:40:02 PM PDT
Ron says:
I uploaded six images under view related images on the front page. If you would like, I can upload specific types of images you might be interested in. ( children, people, sports, scenery, a barbecue party, etc.) Just let me know. The face recognition feature is fantastic. It adjusts for all lighting situations.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 6:45:09 AM PDT
could you post children action shots? I just bought the sx260 and all of my kids pictures turn out blurry. I have had a sd870 for years and it takes better pictures then the new one. I am returning it and looking at trying this camera. I would love to your pictures, Thanks...

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:14:45 AM PDT
Ron says:
I added three children's action shots. All of them are at the longest telephoto, 336mm, which makes stop action more difficult. However, the camera handles them well. These are all outdoor shots. I don't know how the camera would handle indoor action shots in low light. My guess is that they would not be as clear without flash. The camera's new Digic 5 processor in able to make amazing on the spot adjustments. The camera also offers a mode that allows you to follow the subjects movement and the camera makes adjustments for focus and exposure as the person is moving.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:45:36 AM PDT
Thank You so much Ron. One more question is the auto mode pictures coming out clear? the auto mode in the sx260 is horrible. returned for another sx260 to see if i just had a lemon and it is even worse. Going to the store today and going to try the 520. thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 12:04:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 12:29:41 PM PDT
Ron says:
Every picture I have taken is in the Auto mode. It is so easy to use and pictures come out great. I have not used the Program mode. I am not sure why you had problems with the sx260 since it uses the same new Digic 5 processor. Post a reply to me when you test the 520 HS. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 1:31:31 PM PDT
do you have scenery pictures, esp with the zoom?
thank you...still deciding between the 300 HS and the 520 HS.
any input?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 3:52:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 10:09:44 AM PDT
Ron says:
All eleven pictures I posted have some zoom. The 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 8th pictures are at the maximum 12x zoom, 336mm. The child swinging the bat is at 5x zoom, 140mm.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›