4.0 out of 5 stars Now I'm Happy with WD Live Plus, July 20, 2010
This review is from: WD TV Live Plus 1080p HD Media Player (Electronics)
I purchased the WD Live Plus HD Media Player to watch movies from my Windows Home server. I got tired of all the DVD's and no where to store them so I built a WHS from an old computer and ordered the WD Live plus. I ran a CAT5 cable to my LCD, hooked up the WD Live Plus and it automatically connected to my WHS. I was up and running in as little as 5 minutes streaming a video on the big screen. The 1st movie played flawlessly until I started to watch the 2nd movie. Towards the middle of the movie, WD Live started to freeze up. At first I thought it was my server so I rebooted the WHS and was back up and running again. Started to watch the movie and froze again. Now I'm getting very upset. Now I powered off/on the WD Live Plus and same issue. Some movies played with no issues and some movies just locked up. Now I'm getting upset with this media Player. I checked WD's website and could not find any solution to the device freezing so I ordered the "Asus O! Player" unit to replace my piece of crap WD live Plus. I was already to mail it back and connect the Asus O! Player but something told me to check the WD support website one more time before I mail back WD Live Plus HD Media Player.

I found this on their site:

"When playing a movie over a Network location on a WD TV Live HD Media Player, the video may slow down

Problem:
When playing a high bitrate movie from a Network location (computer or NAS), after a period of time, the video may slow down and jitter.
Cause:
Samba (the method the WD TV Live uses to read a network location) cannot play back high bitrate movies.
Solution:
If this problem is encountered there are two solutions:
1. Try playing the content from the Media Server selection on the WD TV Live HD Media Player. This may require installation of a Media Server on your computer. Windows Media Player 11 has a built in Media Server. There are other alternatives such as TwonkyMedia, and TVersity which may also work for these videos.
2. Copy the high bitrate content to a USB drive, attach the USB drive to the WD TV Live HD Media Player and play the content from the local drive".

I said Hmmm, "playing a high bitrate movie from a Network location", well this was my problem. I went to TVersity and they explained how the software transcodes any video depending on your network speed and devices for proper streaming settings. So I installed the software on my WHS. During the installation it prompted to install the additional AC3 codec. So I installed it on my server. After installation completed, I configured TVersity to use my Video folder on the WHS and behold video was streaming to my LCD with no issues. Actually I believe the video quality is slighter better now than it was before.

So I'll take that back about calling the WD player crap. Now I can say I'm very happy with WD Live Plus and will give it a 4 star rating now. TVersity is excellent software for streaming videos and will help any media player handle video streaming. Oh did it mention that it's free! So go ahead and purchase the WD Live Plus HD Media Player and install TVersity on either your WHS or desktop/laptop and the 2 together they'll make a perfect couple.

Enjoy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2010 7:16:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2011 9:58:04 PM PST
brrman says:
Thanks for the the info on the Media Server solving the jitters... I have been pulling may hair out trying to get this Live box stutter free - tried just about everything except the Media Server route... This is my last hope!

UPDATE:
The media server fix did not work for me. It seems to be the simple fact that 150mbps N network cannot handle full blown 1080p HD video. I have since bought a new dual band router and dual band usb adapter and all is working perfectly. Using the 5Ghz band I am hitting near 300mbps speeds and not a single jitter playing Avatar at 1080p (an 18GB file).

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 1:28:24 AM PDT
veracity says:
So... it'll play everything from NAS except the coveted HIGH definition (high bandwidth) video where it then requires a "delightful" return to SneakerNet

yay?

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 6:29:22 AM PDT
It sounds like your problem was with TVersity rather than the WD device. I use TVersity to stream to my XBOX and it is flakey and doesn't always work properly, but it is Free, so I don't complain.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 3:53:55 AM PST
Lizzie says:
Stupid question: because I am confused as to where these movies are 'coming' from. Are the movies you already have downloaded on your computer, external hard drive, or streaming live and from where?

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 2:28:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 26, 2012 4:42:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 4:09:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2011 4:11:20 PM PDT
Jacob says:
@ghost:

The limitations people are talking about on this thread in regards to playing 1080p don't have anything to do with this device, it's the network bandwidth and Windows folder sharing protocols used. You will run into this same problem with other devices when connected wirelessly, depending on the bitrate (or filesize), your network configuration and the amount of WiFi congestion around you.

This device will stream full 1080p material from a network share just fine. I did a test this weekend streaming a 1080p high bitrate copy of Tron and it streamed butter smooth. But I have my WDTV connected to the router with a LAN cable, not over WiFi.

Posted on May 13, 2011 5:16:47 PM PDT
Mr. Fuller: Thanks about the TVersity tip. Great suggestion. Mahalo!

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 5:38:15 AM PDT
Carryit says:
i have lots of movies on ethernet hard drives on a fully authenticated network .... i usually connect a cat 5e gigabit computer to my home theater and play those movies using mapped drives and windows media player.... using this device can i eliminate the pc connection?? will this device 'see' the ethernet drives?? does it connect to a computer on the network and 'see' those mapped drives similar to 'serve to me' software server i use to stream to my iphone? i want a device so that i can eliminate the use of a pc to play movies, music, and photos from my ethernet drives...

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:16:34 AM PDT
P. Romero says:
Does the OP know, or anyone else for that matter, if Hulu Plus on the Sony is actually able to stream all shows available on it? Some people dont know this but because of certain restrictions, Hulu can only stream a lot of its shows via a computer. If it detects that your device is not a computer, it won't allow you to stream and give you a message like "Sorry, we do not have the rights to stream this show to your device. It's available at Hulu.com on your computer and browser." Basically, I'm looking for a digital media player that does work with Hulu so I can watch all shows on it without restrictions.... and finally cancel cable.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 12:21:41 PM PDT
Fish Tech says:
I have had similar problems playing high bandwidth videos using a similar device, and I discovered that using cat 6 cables on a gigabit network solved my problems. I ran an ethernet over powerline setup from my switch in my office down to the set top box, and that was the big choke point. Got rid of it and it increased my bandwidth 6X. Another thing you can do is compress your video a little and it can overcome a slow network, but then you're not getting the best picture, right?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (668 customer reviews)

$149.98