5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game! Easy to Control Movements!, November 4, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kinect Sports (Video Game)
I just got finished playing all of the sports in Kinect Sports and here is my evaluation:

1. Track & Field: This area includes a variety of different activities that work well with the basic body movements the Kinect can control. These include running , jumping, and throwing things (javelins & discus). I think young and old would both have fun with this! This may actually be my favorite activity in this game.

2. Bowling: Not as much control as Wi Sports bowling--but it is actually feels more like bowling when you can just stick your hand out to pick up the ball and then swing your arm to bowl. No controller to hold on to or push buttons. Once again this is an activity that would appeal to both young and old. Personally, I still like the bowling in Wii Sports better because of the more precise control.

3. Boxing: I like this better than the Wii Sports Boxing--but there is still some lag time and I just don't get the feel that all my moves are translating accurately. Plus, like an earlier reveiwer indicated it seems like punching wildly is actually a winning approach in this game. I do like how you can just hold your arms up to block--this felt very natural. I'm waiting for the Kick Boxing version because when you kick your legs in this activity your avatar kicks its legs--but they don't seem to translate to "hits" in the game.

4. Beach Volleyball: This one will take some time to master. It can get a bit confusing because there are several different techniques involved--jumping, hitting, and blocking. If you're tall--make sure you don't have a ceiling fan above you--or at least make sure it's not on!

5. Table Tennis: Once again it was fun to play without a controller in my hand but I felt there were a few times when the intensity of my hits were not reflected in what actually happened on screen. For example, when an opportunity comes up for a "smash" the game announces it and then actually does it regardless of whether I swung harder or not.

6. Soccer: Fun and interesting. You don't have to run around the field yourself. Your player magically appears where the ball is kicked to. Simple body movements control your kicks and blocks. Gray directional lines on the screen show the directionally options when kicking and your location when blocking.

Throughout the games the Kinect takes photos and short videos of your movements. These are played at the end of each game. The images are saved so you can share them with others. This feature will appeal to some and not to others. For example, I find the images of my son interesting and humorous--but I need to find out how to erase the images of me!

Adding a second player was extremely easy. If I wanted to join my son all I had to do was step in front of the TV and the Kinect added me to the in-play game. The graphics are also much better than the Wii! Kinect Sports looked great on a 40" HDTV. We don't even play the Wii on this TV because of how bad it looks.

Bottom line: If you have an XBOX already--adding the Kinect and Kinect Sports really adds a nice dimension to your video game experience. If you have young kids or older folks that have trouble remembering what buttons to push on a remote--it doesn't get any easier than the Kinect.

P.S. It is a neat and strange sensation to be standing in front of your TV and the avatar on the screen is doing the same movements that you are. You can sway, move your arms and legs, and dance, and the avatar mimics it. This alone makes for good entertainment!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2010 11:51:19 PM PST
Indy says:
Good review. I too prefer wii sports bowling to Kinects bowling because the controls are much better. In Wii sports bowling I like to release my all low to the ground and twist my wrist to add spin but with kinect I can't do that. There's no release mechanism in Kinect sports as the ball is auto released. Spin can be added by swinging your arms across your body which isn't as good as just using your wrist. You can get a lot of fun from the game especially the track and field running events. Kinect does those really well.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 1:10:55 PM PST
MOM OF 3 says:
I sure wished I would have seen a detailed review like this for that sonic game ugh. Frustrated. This review will make me go invest in another game. Thx

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 12:58:21 PM PST
Sassykassy says:
Thanks so much for taking the time out to write this review...was very helpful in my decision making!!!

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 1:00:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2010 1:01:00 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 7:45:32 PM PST
Cowboy says:
Thanks for your review.. I just got my first Xbox ... my first anything box since the Nintendo...
Like you I've found the avatar fasinating to watch.. it even recognizes the plaid in my jammies when I'm
playing a game or exercising (again read play).. smashing blocks and swinging hula-hoops,
or just showing off the game to my techy game playing grownup children.
Problem is my 4yr old grandson has difficulty mastering some of the controls in the most of the games I have so far,
He likes to play some of the gym games in "Your Shape - Fitness Evolved"
Of course that game wasn't designed for the younger market.
He loves Kinectamals... I'm sure over time there will be a lot of new games designed for the younger ones.
So I'm considering getting a Wii to supplement our game set up.
So based on your recomendation, I'll order this for our collection. Mostly for the bowling part.
And what is really fun about this is I did this as part of a home improvement entertainment
center in our living room in order to exercise and play as a family.
The main part of this project was installing an overhead 1080p projector
and turning one wall of our living room in to a giant 10 foot by 5 foot screen.
So your avitar and the coaches are nearly as big as you.
BTW I'm a boomer just turned 64.
Now that i tunes has the beetles .
I should order their song.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm 64?
cowboy bill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 11:44:29 PM PST
Warriors3 says:
what 1080p projector and screen did you get?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010 1:56:40 AM PST
you can release low or release high based on whether your hand is open faced or whether it's flat. you can also crouch too which helps with a low release. you also have very good control over how much spin you impart based on where your hand ends its motion. I end my motion almost as if I'm pointing toward the stars rather than follow all the way through. If you need help with your bowling motion, we can play together and I can walk you through it. that's one of the best things about kinect sports: the online play and voice chat capabilities. I loved bowling on the Wii, but once you figured out the right motion, it was almost automatic in getting strikes. You can even memorize how much you move right or left by tapping the wii d-pad and then as long as your stroke is somewhat consistent, you'll get a strike.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 7:35:24 PM PST
Great review broken down into pertinent topics. Not too long overall and just plain great!

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:43:07 PM PST
Jerry E. Ely says:
Your post is good but people need to remember this is just one person's take and experience. For example we have a wii and my son just got an xbox with Kinect this Christmas and everyone that has used it thinks it is vastly superior to the wii for realness...quite honestly some of the wii games seem pretty dull suddenly. Don't get me wrong, my son loves MKW for example and we both race and it's user friendly, the wiimote works great and we have a ton of fun and that is the bottom line. But this reviewer, for example did not think his table tennis shots were recognized correctly. I thought that too...Until I started hitting the ball correctly and found that I can smash the ball even on lower returns...it's like real life...you have to hit the paddle correctly on the ball. There are not nearly as many "automatics" as there are with wii sports. As for the speed needed to smash, what you say it true but wii baseball, as an example is identical in that you can barely swing the bat and if your timing is right, it's TATERS. :)
By and large the table tennis and beach volleyball were both great and very accurate to real life. I would recommend the Kinect to anyone. I only can imagine how much better it will get over time and eventually when most TVs are 3D capable and games are written in 3D, it's going to be fantastic.
The thing to remember for youngsters in this game is to not work your way forward and get bad readings from the Kinect sensor. My son had a habit of following his volleyball avatar to the net. :) You just stay put and it's basically 3 things. Returning serves (try to return to your partner if playing doubles) and bumping to set a spike and spiking, which has to be timed, again like in real life...no gimmes. But if you jump at the right time, you'll stuff the ball or spike it well.
I found the beach volleyball "easy" level players were hard to beat, where as the table tennis beginner was easy. The beginning bowling opponent was miserably easy to beat. :)
All in all we kept going to the xbox over the wii all through vacation. maybe it's because it's new to some degree but we love it. My son likes kinectimals and my wife likes the work out title which doesn't require "extra" equipment.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 10:17:36 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 11, 2011 11:12:44 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (714 customer reviews)

$14.99 $12.49
Reviewer

V. Hutson
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 213