1.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Poor DVD set!, January 19, 2005
This review is from: Wiseguy - Between the Mob and a Hard Place Arc (Season 3, Part 1) (DVD)
Despite music omissions, I bought the earlier 3 volumes of this fantastic show and enjoyed them immensely, particularly the first 2 sets, which had some great extras. It was all downhill from there, as this set was vomited out of the factory and onto the store shelves by Cannell Productions and Studioworks!

As others have pointed out, disc 1/episode 3 has practically unwatchable video due to poor compression, and disc 4 has no option for show only audio, you are stuck with Ken Wahl's audio commentary and nothing else. Even Ken Wahl must have been frustrated by this when he got his comp set, as the 2 episodes on the set are 2 of his most favorite, and even he can't watch them without listening to himself talk over it!

The only good thing about this set is disc 3, which has the great Washington, DC story arc. However, Cannell messed that up, too, as the opening title credit sequence features the one from the prior storyline, whereas I clearly remember that the DC episodes had a title sequence featuring characters from that arc!

And finally, more music has been replaced, as Ken Wahl HIMSELF points out on his commentaries!

What a cheap, shoddy job--I will not be fooled into buying further volumes of this series (and there are supposedly 2 more to come!) I will be sticking to my own VHS tapes instead!

(And by the way, I've read on Studioworks' own site that the manufacturers'suggested retail price was something like $39.99, so I'm not sure how other sites are charging more for it)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2007 11:35:50 AM PST
J. Jusko says:
This is by far one of my favorite shows of all time! I taped every episode during it's original run, and eagerly awaited it's release on DVD. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Music and scenes are cut, episodes are out of order and entire story arcs are missing! To make matters worse, I made the mistake of tossing out my VHS versions when I bought these, before I had watched them. If I could run to the dump and get my home made tapes back I would! I can only hope that these will one day be rereleased intact and complete, as they should be. If you love this show, STAY AWAY FROM THESE DVD'S!

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 5:43:41 PM PST
DARBY KERN says:
Same thing happened to me- i contacted the company and received new disks in the mail VERY QUICKLY. Now I have the whole shootin' works.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›