5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Jabra SOLEMATE Wireless Bluetooth Portable Speaker - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I just got my Jabra Solemate today. It easily paired with both my Droid and my MacBook. This thing is loud. I was playing some Submotion Orchestra and then a bit of Black Sun Empire. I streamed Pandora to it from my phone while sitting outside and even felt I had to turn it down a bit at times. The bluetooth range is actually much better than my Belkin A50 home bluetooth receiver.

The size is perfect and the build quality is excellent. It feels solid and substantial and has a nice heft to it. The fit, finish, and build materials evoke a sense of quality. It looks, feels, and performs like a high-end device. In terms of the sound - the bass is very satisfying for a speaker of this size. The audio is rich and the drums really hit.

In terms of the Bluetooth connection, streaming from the Droid produces a much louder response than when streaming from my MacBook - not sure why. Anyways, it's a piece of cake to pair, and the connection is solid, consistent, and without static. Also, there is no 'hum' or hiss, which were complaints noted by reviewers with some of the other devices I looked at.

The three speakers are front mounted, and the sound is therefore quite directional - pointing the off-axis leads to a lot of drop off in sound. It's a minor issue. The price point is about right considering how much bang (or should I say 'boom') you get for the buck.

This also functions as a very nice hands-free unit. While streaming music from my phone, my wife called me. I simply pushed the button on the top and we were instantly connected. The clarity was excellent.

I did a lot of research online, read through a lot of reviews. The Jawbone Big Jambox was high on my list, but $100 more expensive! Bose was completely out of my price range for a device such as this. I also was not interested in paying less for something only to be dissappointed by the sound quality. I looked around at Satechi and Monster HD, but what sold me on the Solemate was the combination of design, features, and price. I am very satisfied with this speaker - and I'm someone who is very finicky about music and sound quality.

I highly recommend this little speaker to anyone looking for a great-sounding portable speaker. The build and sound quality are excellent, and it is worth the money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 7:39:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 7:40:30 PM PDT
pinkoos says:
I just picked one up today and noticed the audio was very loud via my iPhone but pretty low via my Mac mini. Then I figured out what the issue was: with the iPhone (and perhaps your Droid), when you control the volume via the buttons on top of the Jabra, it also controls your phone volume (ie, on my iPhone, when I push volume up or down on the Jabra, the volume slider on my iPhone also goes up or down). However, the same is not true with my Mac mini (and perhaps your Macbook). In this case, when you hit volume up or down on the Jabra, the volume goes up or down independently of the volume I have my mini set to. So, you can try this experiment. Start streaming from your Macbook and set the Jabra volume level to the highest. Then, go to your Macbook and try adjusting the volume from there. You should see a huge difference. If you don't, the other possibility is that you have the Jabra outputing as mono rather than stereo. Open Sound Preferences and go to Output and make sure that the Jabra Solemate Stereo is selected (rather than mono). Hope this helps.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 2:02:34 PM PDT
Nick says:
Great review.. Have you compared this to the Bose Soundlink or Jawbone big Jambox? I susupect for a 100 dollars less, theres no way it will trump these two as far as sound loudness/quality/clarity... I absolutley believe you that the Solemate gets loud, but so does the Bose soundlink and Jambox... I am willing to go buy it to compare it to my Soundlink and just return it if it doesn't match up but thought you might have some insight on the subject?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 1:54:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 1:56:19 PM PDT
Bose Soundlink is definitely better, louder more bass, but the size is just like the Soundfreaq ( i posted a picture of the Soundkick side by side with the Solemate) but the price is 300 usd i think the Soundlink and big Jawbone don't belong to this portable speaker categories, if you size and money aren't an issue go for the Bose

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 1:59:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 2:07:52 PM PDT
Nick says:
I have the soundlink, i was just trying to get an honest opinion if someone had done a side by side comparison with it.. Without having heard the Jabra I would even guarentee the soundlink sounds better. Theres just really nothing that can match it at that size (besides the jawbone big jambox and the logitech boombox which is large in size tho) You dont think the soundlink is portable? In its closed form, its not much bigger than the solemate really. For a little bigger, and quite a bit better quality/loudness its worth it IMO. Its still easy to grab with one hand and take it outside or throw in a bag to travel with. No its not tiny but nothing tiny can product quality/loud sound. Im happy that they are coming out with more and more BT speakers tho. In the end, the consumer wins :)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 5:36:52 PM PST
C. Albanese says:
Thank you for your review, what kind of battery life are you getting ?

Posted on May 6, 2014 10:41:08 AM PDT
man if this speaker can take the basslines of Black Sun Empire then i'm totally sold! excellent review man. much appreciated
‹ Previous 1 Next ›