2.0 out of 5 stars Plant the Seed of disappointment, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Seed (Kindle Edition)
I wanted so badly for this book to be great! And based on the mass of positive reviews, I purchased and began reading with great excitement.

I found myself immediately at odds with the story. I hated one of the four main characters and was left largely ambivalent about the others. I thought that I would grow to care about them as the story progressed.

But as I wound my way through the story, I was left only frustrated. The characters didn't grow any more likable and ultimately, the author began killing off the only characters of worth: a dog and a cat.

The desperate story flails along, as one horror follows another, and the reader is left with a general sense of discontent when the ending comes to a crashing display of predictability.

In general, I don't mind a slightly predictable story, or even a story that has been rehashed a lot of times. Sadly, this story feels like the author penned herself into a corner, couldn't think of any clever way out of it, so she just wrote whatever came to her, which was neither clever, nor satisfying.

I'm not one to fault a book for not having a happy ending, and while I don't want to give spoilers, I feel it's necessary to say that all the horrors of the book came without any semblance of balance. No good came to any character in the book, no good came from any of the atrocities that occur. One reviewer stated that a book can't have demons without having God. I couldn't disagree more. This book doesn't need holy good to balance out the demon, but it needs SOMETHING. The book progresses with each and every fear realized, with only evil progressing successfully. If the book offered some semblance of a chance at the protagonists succeeding, it might seem worth reading. The book doesn't need God, but it needs a balancing force, whether it be religion or voodoo or love or anything.

Ultimately, I was left feeling a little raw and a lot unsatisfied when I read through all of the horrible things that the author inflicted on all of the innocents she placed in the path of her demon.

I truly believe that the author has genuine talent, and I would look forward to another attempt... but hopefully a more satisfying one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2013 4:10:36 PM PDT
C-Dizzle says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 1:49:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2013 1:51:03 AM PDT
Jhyphen says:
This review discusses what I feel to be the weak aspects of the book. It does so without discussing characters, those characters' actions, major events or the outcomes of those events. I can't mention what I feel to be the failings of the book without discussing what I think failed. If you feel that vague allusions to what a reader finds dissatisfying to be spoilers, you shouldn't read reviews of books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2013 1:52:53 PM PDT
Tina says:
Thanks for the review. It sounds like a book I would not enjoy reading. Got to have at least some hope. Thanks for the review.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 8:39:59 AM PDT
I'm bummed that this is the number one review. I LOVED this book. It has since been picked up by a publishing arm of Amazon and re-released.
Also, it may surprise you that a lot of horror fans (me included) loved the darkness of this book. Horror needs no balance. Horrible things happen in real life, with no good things to offset them. A lot of horror fans like when books properly reflect that.
Anyway, your review was well written I just felt that it needed a little balance. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013 12:05:04 PM PDT
B. Nommensen says:
I would consider it a spoiler when you indicate in your review that the only two characters of worth are killed off. Not cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 1:12:38 AM PDT
Jhyphen says:
I'm not sure why it's the number-one review, as it wasn't always.
That being what it is, we're fine to disagree. I don't think there's any point in a story that can only go wrong - or right for that matter! This book was unsatisfying not because it was dark or because bad things happened, but rather because no other possibilities were ever explored! I don't need a Hollywood ending where every character gets what he or she wants, but as a reader, I need to know that more than one outcome is possible. And in a successful story, the possibility could have been dangled in front of the readers' faces and snatched away. This story didn't do that, every event was as predictable and unavoidable as the next beat in a dance song.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 1:17:30 AM PDT
Jhyphen says:
In not sure if the problem is that I indicated that there were only two characters I didn't hate or that I lost all interest after the author killed them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2013 9:45:05 AM PDT
B. Nommensen says:
The spoiler would be you telling that they were killed.

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 9:02:32 AM PDT
SueV says:
Thank you so much for the warning, re the fate of the pets. I will happily avoid this book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (847 customer reviews)

Out of stock