Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm getting annoyed with this book, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child (Kindle Edition)
I love Julia Child and she had a remarkable life, but I am not enjoying "Dearie". The author, to put it bluntly, sucks. He meanders all over, bloats the smallest recollections into 6 pages, and his language is about on par with your basic high school creative writing student. Spitz frankly worships Julia, and that's fine - so do I! However he uses effusive phrasing that is more suitable for a teenager's text message than an adult biography of a world renowned chef.

Another reviewer recommended "Appetite for Life: The Biography of Julia Child" instead - I wholeheartedly agree with that. However I'll still give this three stars because it's very comprehensive....if you can slog through it, which I'm having a hard time doing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 3:23:00 PM PDT
Dull, dull, dull. Much preferred her memoir"My Life In France" written with her grandnephew. In the memoir she alludes to her poor treatment of Simone Beck. I would like to have seen a more balanced treatment of Julia. I have just finished biographies by Jean Edward Smith and Robert Caro. This biography pales in comparison to the books by these two great authors. Amateurish and poorly written.

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 6:05:48 PM PDT
C2015 says:
I have attempted two other Bob Spitz books, the Beatles one and his cooking one about his own adventure and I could finish neither book. There was not a coherent narrative and yes, I agree about his choice of language in his writing. The best Julia Child books I've read so far are the one she wrote with Mr. Prud'homme and Judith Jones book which is really an autobiography of JJ. There's a third with a title I cannot remember at the moment but will add here when I remember it.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:58:29 PM PDT
L. Moore says:
I thought this book was, for the most part, delightful. There were lots of pictures I had not seen before and I enjoyed the immense details of her early life, which was not so evident in other books. Occasionally, the back and forth was hard to follow, but overall I felt it told me more about Julia, and Julia and Paul's relationships with each other and others that I found so interesting. I think it is worth the long read.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 4:47:33 PM PDT
Emilie says:
This might have been a good book if I hadn't read the other, better books about Julia. I can't finish this one -- like reading an article from some women's magazine, all breathless and "AWESOME!" You're right, teenage writing. Blech.

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 8:52:01 PM PST
a cook says:
I completely agree with this review. I love Julia and find her life fascinating. This book drags on too long! The writing is repetitive and the little asides are too precious.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 1:53:47 AM PST
Sheila T says:
Slog is exactly the word I planned to use in my review, when and if I can finish the book. What a shame. I'm hoping I change my mind after I "slog" further.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›