Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Undisputed 3 Stars, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Undisputed (Explicit) (Audio CD)
The legendary Dmx is back with his seventh solo album "Undisputed", its not as good as his earlier albums but its still solid. Dmx released two classics in 98 which was "It's Dark and "Hell Is Hot" and Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood". But lets get into this Undisputed track by track review

1. "Lookin Without Seein" (Intro)

2. "What They Don't Know" This track is cool, reminds me of the old X. You can bob your head to this joint

3. "Cold World" (featuring Andreena Mill) Andreena did a great job on here, it seems like it was her song since X only has only on verse but he spits the realness we love from him. Great track

4. "I Don't Dance" (featuring MGK) This song was released in 2010 and it was originally called "Y'all N***** Bounce" but he remade it. This is literally one of the worst Dmx songs I ever heard, MGK didn't help out either. X says "Y'all n***** whisper X is a crackhead/ alright then f*** it then I'ma just crack heads" ..

5. "Sucka for Love" (featuring Dani Stevenson) This track is aimed at the ladies. The lyrics on here remind me of "How its goin down" from his Its dark and hell is hot album but a cheesier version. Basically hes saying shes just something to f***, hes not trying to wife her up.

6. "I Get Scared" (featuring Rachel Taylor) One of the emotional joints from X, the bad thing about the song sis that you can barely even hear his verses because the beat too loud.

7. "Slippin' Again" Now this is the Dmx I been waiting to hear. He shows his emotion and talks about his struggles with lines like " If y'all only knew/ what my life is like and what I'm going through/ maybe you'd think before you talk". At the end of the song, X is screaming out "I wish you F****** knew" and it sounds like he is really stressed out. Classic track right here.

8. "Prayer" (Skit) The title says it all !

9. "I'm Back" Hardcore joint with X just spitting 2 verses of raw lyrics, he sounds real focused on here. Most of y'all probably remember this beat because AZ rapped on this same beat as well.

10. "Have You Eva" X gets introspective over a smooth beat which samples Freddie Jackson's "Have you ever loved somebody". This is one of the best songs on here, oh yeah this also appeared on X's mixtape that was released in 2010 but this is a updated version which sounds great. Classic track

11. "Get Your Money Up" High energy track, you can definitely work out to this work. It sounds like it could of came out back in the early 2000s, if this would of came out back then it could of been a hit.

12. "Head Up" A heartfelt track where he talks about whats going on in his life and hes asking God for help as he spits "Lord if you hear me/ know that I'm coming to you sincerely/ I need you near me/ Please feel me/ I'm sick and I need for you to heal me/ I'm lost and I'm looking for the real me/ I'm tired and weary/ not being able to see things clearly". Now this is the definition of real song!

13. "Frankenstein" I Wasn't feeling this joint, it sounds dated as the hook goes "We gon tear s*** up what/ tear s*** up what".

14. "Ya'll Don't Really Know" This came out in 09, but it was just one verse. Average track, nothing to special.

15. "I Got Your Back" (featuring Kashmere) Bonnie and Clyde type song, Kashmere has a verse but I cant believe X really said "Shorty got my back like a jacket"...nonetheless this song is cool

16. "No Love" (featuring Andreena Mill) More of that real life we all love from X for, he says "I took a snake to make me trust more" and "Never thought about biting the hand that feeds me buy yall m********** is greedy", hes talking about fake friends, everybody should be able to relate to this song.

17. "Already" This song was released in 2008, I'm surprised this made the final cut. Ya'll remember on Ruff Ryders Anthem when he said "what" after every line besides the hook? Well he does something similar on here but says "already" instead. I'm not a fan of this either as it sounds dated..

Overall the album isn't too bad, Dmx has been in jail and dealing with a lot of personal problems as well so some of the songs sounds dated. Some tracks sound like were recorded back when he made "Grand Champ" which will turn listeners away. Another thing wrong with the album is the lack of new material, I would of loved to hear all new music from X but some of these just were released years ago which kills the excitement of the album.... The 17 tracks should of been knocked down to about 13 or 14 tracks. I hate that I had to give X such a low rating but I cant be bias and just throw out 5 stars (classic rating) because hes of my fav rappers of all time. The good thing is that none of the songs sound forced or sound like anything that's out today, its just X being X and we all should respect the fact the hes being himself. My final rating is 3 stars

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 2:08:28 PM PDT
HIP-HOP FAN, I AGREE WITH YOU TOTALLY! I WILL ALWAYS BE AN X FAN FOR LIFE, BUT WHEN YOU SAID, "Another thing wrong with the album is the lack of new material, I would of loved to hear all new music from X but some of these just were released years ago which kills the excitement of the album" AGAIN, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. I LOVE HOW HE STAYS TRUE TO HIS STYLE BUT I FEEL THAT THERE IS A GREAT LACK OF EFFORT WITH THIS PROJECT. WHEN YOU HAVE A GREAT FORMULA DON'T STOP USING IT. HE SHOULD OF HAD SWIZZ AND GREASE DO THE PRODUCTION ON THE WHOLE ALBUM. I UNDERSTAND THAT HES BEEN THROUGH A LOT BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN GIVE YOUR FANS MEDIOCORE MATERIAL. I CANT STAND THE CRAP THAT'S ON THE RADIO NOW A DAYS SO I WAIT IN ANTICIPATION FOR TRUE HIP HOP MUSIC FROM MY FAVORITE ARTIST DMX AND I'M DISSAPOINTED HE DIDN'T COME THROUGH. AGAIN, HIP-HOP FAN I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU WHEN YOU SAID, "I hate that I had to give X such a low rating but I cant be bias and just throw out 5 stars (classic rating) because hes of my fav rappers of all time. I MYSELF HAVE TO GIVE THIS ALBUM 2 STARS. COME ON X DAZZLE US AGAIN LIKE YOU DID WAY BACK THEN WHERE I GOT LOST IN YOUR MUSIC TO NO END!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 7:48:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2012 7:05:02 PM PDT
Lol thanks fam, I just had to be honest on the review. I understand everyone has their own opinion but its no way this album deserves 5 stars. Yeah I'm not sure if he didn't know if those songs were released yrs ago or what, but I still respect him and hes a legend but we just cant sit back and call a mediocre album a classic. I also blame his friends that heard the album as well, because they should of told him most of the album sounds dated, and I agree the radio is joke nowadays thats why I just listen to my ipod most of the time. 2 stars? Thats funny because I was gonna originally gave it 2.5 starts but I gave it a few more listens and its average at best. Thanks for the comment, oh on anther note I just noticed your username is similar to mines Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 10:43:39 AM PDT
ED says:
For the most part I agree with your review. However, it was finally GREAT to have a new release from X. He had to finally get some music put out on a studio album to try to stay relevant. It is still refreshing to have a studio album that is not mainstream. Hopefully X stays clean and gets his head right and works hard with Swizz Beatz to put out ALL new material. Too bad he couldnt get a Dr Dre, DJ Premier or Pete Rock beat as well. I am still happy I bought it though!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 7:11:36 PM PDT
Thanks for the feedback, another thing I think the problem was that X had been in and out of jail so much that it kinda messed up his head. I'm always excited to hear from X, how many other rappers can say they put out 2 classics in 98? Thats legendary right there. Trust me bro if some of these songs would of been on the and then there was x album they would of been hits for sure. Once he gets completely clean, its gonna be a problem ! If they tweaked a few things this album could of definitely been 4 stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 11:00:54 AM PDT
ED says:
You are completely right about X putting out two classic albums in 98! I have his whole catalog of albums, even the mix tape that came out a few years ago. I can still listen to any of his albums, even his first one, and they still are very good. Some may say X sounds dated even with new music that wasnt released previously, and I strongly disagree...his style and flow are just that, HIS style and flow. He cant change it for 2012 or he wouldnt be DMX.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 7:57:12 PM PDT
No doubt I own all of his albums except "Year of the dog" and Undisputed", because I didn't enjoy them enough to purchase them, but I do listen to some of the songs off those albums on Spotifiy sometimes. Thats what I meant, its not the beats its just his style, but that's not his fault. "Have You Eva" and "Slippin Again" are perfect examples of him not sounded dated, those songs sound great in 2012.

Posted on May 20, 2013 1:14:19 AM PDT
I'm a long time X fan here and I'm hopin' and praying he gets back to the beast he used to be. Listening to this album, I feel he still has plenty of potential left. A couple of you mentioned the album sounds dated and although, I agree, as I listen to the album, I wonder if that was what DMX intended when he released this project: recapturing some of the magic he had back in '98, especially with tracks like Slippin' Again, Have You Eva and Head Up which are my favorite tracks from the album. We have to keep in mind a lot of these songs we're likely locked up in a safe that didn't make the cut on Grand Champ. I believe his formula would still work today from what he used back in the late 90s but I feel the album would have been a lot better had he collaborated with some of his ex-Ruff Ryder members (The Lox, Drag-On, Eve, etc.) or perhaps even a collab with Eminem, Chrisette Michelle/Kelly Rowland or Young Jeezy. As I listen to No Love, Jeezy and Nas would be nice guest features on this track but aside from the tracks released in 2009/2010, you can hear traces of the old X we know and love on many of the tracks.

Great review, Hip-Hop-Fan. I'd agree that 3 stars is a fair rating for this album.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:57:19 PM PDT
I do think he still has it in, but he has to be 100 percent focused. It had me thinking too like did he have nothing but yes man around him? Swizz or Dame Grease should of definitely told him how the album sounded, or maybe they didn't wanna piss him off or something. The thing is this, he could use his 90s formula but still put a new school twist on it, he needs the right production and collabs. As far Em, they had a song together on Cradle to the grave soundtrack and that joint was dope! He still don't like Jeezy, they had beef back in early 2000s and in his interview last yr he dissed Jeezy, that's crazy cause I would to hear a song from them. Word him and Nas did songs together before and they were dope as well. Sucks that Double R don't do more tracks together. I notice X is at his best when he does his emotional tracks. Hopefully X can get on the right track and hit us with real music we love from.

Thanks for the feedback fam.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›