3.0 out of 5 stars a bit disillusioned, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Coming Home: A Story of Undying Hope (The Baxter Family) (Paperback)
spoilers... Don't read if you havent read the book.

After reading Loving, I intended not to read another Karen Kingsbury book, however I couldn't resist reading the last Baxter book. I found myself thinking..... again?! How many tragedies can one family go through? Murder, fatal pregnancy defects, cheating, breast cancer, 911, drug addiction, a drowning and the list goes on. I guess I was hoping for a happy ending.If she was going to pick one family for this to happen to, I guess she did pick the right one. There wasn't a book about Erin that I remember so i did feel a little less connected to her and her family... but still. Also, I felt a bit disconnected from the family's reaction to the tragedy. No one got angry at God. They all just accepted that they were in a better place. This just seems unrealistic to me. I also didn't like that she put Bailey and Brandon in this book. It did not fit in with the storyline at all and after all the hooplah with the last book, you would think she would stay far away from that topic. (and to add in that Cody and Andy were engaged????) Blegh! The parts of the book that I liked reminded me of "like dandelion dust". Overall, the book was ok. It wasn't what I hoped for but it was far better than the series on Bailey. It was a little more true to her older writing style. Anyways, I'm still not ready to swear her off for good, but I am glad that she is moving on to new characters, seperate from the Baxters and the Flannigans.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2012 5:54:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 5:57:52 AM PDT
* Spoiler Alert*
Thank-you for your post. I have no intention of reading this book and was actually looking for spoilers. I think this book just a ploy to make more money by dragging out an otherwise successful series. I hated the Bailey series and have sworn off KK ever since. Karen is so focused on fame that she can't write original stories anymore, she has to re-hash old ones and unfortunately it works for her die-hard fans who idolize her. It makes me sick that she decides to kill off the least-known family member. No one had much interest in Erin or her family so she was the easy one to kill off. Erin got the short-stick throughout the entire series. If it had been Ashley then she would really lose some fans.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 5:26:08 PM PDT
melliegirl says:
I agree with you 100% about Bailey and Brandon. They didn't need to be in this book and they were out of place. Also the mentioning of Cody and Andi just made the whole thing worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:14:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 6:15:53 PM PDT
Barb Denny says:
Maybe I am too easily pleased by authors that I read, but I thought it seemed normal to include Bailey, Brandon, Andi and Cody in this the final book of the extremely long Baxter saga.. because it is sort of like when you go to a family reunion you always catch up with everyone... even people who aren't "family" so it seemed natural to me. Maybe my expectations were too low,but it was a good read. I was glad to see more detail being given to Erin and her family, little did I know what was going to happen to them. I think Karen did show that Christians have the same issues that non-Christian have when dealing with death and heartache, they questioned, they asked why, but because of their deep faith that didn't grieve as those who have no faith. They knew what was coming and where their family members had gone. I've witnessed this in real life... Even though our hearts are broken and we grieve deeply for our loved ones, we trust in the our Creator to see us through the tough times... and we can celebrate in the middle of our grief because of the comfort of the Holy Spirit.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:21:07 PM PDT
Iola says:
There are loads of five-star reviews coming in. KK's obviously running another contest.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:22:13 PM PDT
I wish she wouldn't do that. It doesn't seem fair

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:27:59 PM PDT
melliegirl says:
All through July. It's not fair. I hope people read the 1-3 star reviews as well to get a more accurate idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:29:39 PM PDT
Wow.....:-( I hope so

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 12:48:13 AM PDT
Iola: YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT KK"S NEW CONTESTS FOR POSITIVE REVIEWS! As I wrote on another review : I am saddened to find out that KK is doing more contests for reviews. One contest with trip for how it affected you just ended but more are ongoing.
From on her website & on her Facebook page : " OTHER CONTESTS and GIVEAWAYS

1. http://AMAZON.com REVIEW of COMING HOME
I am giving a thank you gift each day to one of you who takes the time to post a review for COMING HOME on http://Amazon.com.

The gift of an autographed hardback copy of COMING HOME will be given to one such reader friend each day through the end of July. Simply post a review on http://Amazon.com. Copy it into an email, and send it to me at Office@KarenKingsbury.com. Include your name and mailing address. I'll post winners names here at the end of each week.

2. COMING HOME Trivia Contest - Coming Soon :) "

So that is probably the reason for the 5 star review from a reader who states in her review she hasn't read the book yet. Only now it's a daily contest BUT ONLY if you post a review on Amazon can you enter the contest. I am frankly sick to death of this dishonest practise of boosting your positive reviews. Because no amount of rationalizing it will change the truth. Otherwise it would be a write a review ON her Facebook page or website & not on Amazon & then PROVE you put a review on there by copying & pasting it.

Only I do see that KK has added a line since I 1st copied this directly from her FB page that this is not a contest but a thank you. Yeah right, keep heaping the dishonesty on, maybe she should read the kids story by Hans Christian Andersen , "The Emperor's New Clothes" !!!

And if you think it's not affecting the reviews, these are just 2 examples of it: I think we can be certain there are 5 star reviews written only to try to win a daily prize. There are a few like the one posted 6/29/12 titled Coming Home which gave it 5 stars but hasn't read it- teachkids85 : her review is "I am so glad I purchased this book and am looking forward to reading the conclusion of this wonderful family." 5 star review for a book she's looking forward to reading? right. And there's the 5 star review on 7/2/12 called Heart Touching by momofjoy that states: "I love this book like all of Karen Kingsbury books! Coming home will touch your heart as all of Kingsbury books do. This a great way to end the Baxter series!" , ok , I'm not saying she hasn't read it but to say it's a GREAT way to end the series makes me wonder. There are other reviews which seem to be written with overflowing praise for KK & feel like entries in a contest but who knows. But 5 star reviews for a book you haven't read? If KK really wanted to give away things for reviews then have them send reviews directly to her website or Facebook page but the fact that they HAVE TO BE SUBMITTED ON AMAZON 1ST & then cut & pasted to an email to her before they are entered into a DAILY contest is a dishonest & very UNChristian way to buy positive reviews. There is no way to rationalize it as anything but AGAIN boosting her positive reviews unfairly. I wonder how many non-Christians will be so turned off by this practise that they'll paint all Christians as hypocrites.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:34:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 5:35:49 PM PDT
Alison says:
omg. I couldn't have written this better myself! I completely agree that this was the most far fetched KK BOOK. I rolled my eyes as I turned every page on my e-reader. Really?! The entire book made Christians out to be these cheesy, blind followers of each other. I feel like she just threw this together one night,just for the heck of it, to bring the whole Baxter fiasco to an end. Not to mention it was extremely depressing to read. I hear enough tragedy in real life. Bad move KK, think you lost a lot of loyal readers with this train wreck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 8:03:35 PM PDT
Alison: A fan posted on KK's facebook page that KK told her she wrote this book in 4 days! And I'm sure she didn't spend every hour on the book. My contacts almost popped out from all the eye rolling I did when I read it! Yep, agree with your post.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (558 customer reviews)

$14.99 $12.14