5.0 out of 5 stars What a great mixer!, October 11, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: KitchenAid KSM150PSOB 5-Qt. Artisan Series with Pouring Shield - Onyx Black (Kitchen)
I shopped around a long time before I bought this mixer. Based on other reviews and the great reputation of KitchenAid, I finally took the plunge. While it's a lot of money to shell out for a countertop appliance, I've found that it's been worth every last cent. No more scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula, no more unmixed flour in the bottom of the bowl, and it is pretty and sleek enough that I can keep it sitting on my counter!
The pouring shield makes it easy to dump ingredients in, and not get them poofed back in your face! I occasionally whip up batches of decorator's cake icing, which requires 2 pounds of confectioner's sugar. On my old mixer, everything within a 1-yard radius of the mixer would be covered in with a layer of sugar. Not any more. The pouring sheild keeps the mess contained to the bowl and the underside of the mixer head. I wanted a mixer with a tilt-up head instead of the bowl-lift mechanism on other KitchenAid models. It's designed well so that tilting the head back doesn't even knock the pouring shield off with the beater.
I make a lot of focaccia bread, and mave always hated the 10 minutes of hand kneading. So I dumped the dough in my kitchen aid and ran it at the lowest speed with the dough hook. It came out beautifully. Not sure how I ever lived without this.
The only problem is that with the black model, it ends up looking a little streaky if you just wipe it down with a sponge. Be sure to wipe it dry, too! My boyfriend, the cuisinally challenged, put the regular beater attachment through the dishwasher, and it came out with some sort of powdery-looking deposits all over it. Working on getting that cleaned off.
Overall, I would highly recommend the Artisan mixer. It's powerful enough for the heftiest mixing jobs, and was thoughfully designed with the practical cook in mind.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2010 11:44:59 AM PDT
Great review! i had me sold!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 4:17:20 PM PDT
Thanks, Darlene! I am happy to report that after 8+ years (and three interstate moves), my KitchenAid is still going strong and I still LOVE it! It was well worth the investment.

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 12:52:46 PM PST
Thanks for the review, a note to your boyfriend, try a different dishwasher detergent. The problem with deposits drove my husband and I mad until we changed dishwasher detergent. It might be your problem too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 12:33:34 PM PST
i use my miracle cloths on everything. i also wash alot of my utensils by hand. i find that the detergent in dishwasher stains everything, including pots.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›