Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Compatible with 64 bit Windows 7, December 5, 2010
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth Anthology - PC (DVD-ROM)
I was eager to purchase this game, but took the precaution of checking with the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center and discovered that none of these games will work with 64 bit Windows 7 (though they are compatible with 32 bit Windows 7).

Naturally, I'm running the 64 bit version so I'm out of luck, but glad I checked first!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2010 2:53:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2010 3:02:58 AM PST
Eric Mendoza says:
Even if a game is not listed as compatible on the Windows 7 site, it could, with some tinkering, run. I was able to get BFME 2 to work on my 64-bit Windows 7 system. I think what I did is set the game shortcut to "Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility." Or it might have been XP Service Pack 2. I also set the game to "Administrator."

Unfortunately, I can't say that this fix will work for your system if you ever get the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 11:55:08 AM PST
COYOTE says:
That was my exact question, you rock!

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 8:29:20 AM PST
I run a 64 bit Windows 7 and I have all of them running great. I can't remember exactly how I got it to work, but I installed the game as Administrator, set the Compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (I think, try the others), then marked it to always run as Administrator.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 10:47:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2012 10:51:57 PM PDT
Opera Ghost says:
I'm running Windows 7 x64, and BfME2 runs fine. The problem has been with The Rise of the Witch-king.

I had to reinstall the expansion, and now it tries to sign in at launch, generating a "can't connect to server" error every time.

EA's chat has been utterly useless.

***

By the way, Origin states this regarding the BfME Anthology:

Will games downloaded from Origin work on Windows 7?
The following EA products and/or games released prior to Windows 7 have been tested and confirmed for compatibility.
Please note that while the titles below have been tested for compatibility under Windows 7, they are still not officially supported for use in a Windows 7 environment:

[. . . ]

Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth Anthology

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 2:49:41 AM PDT
John C. says:
Initially, this game wouldn't run for me on Win7 64bit.

But compatability mode fixed 'er right up!

Right Click... properties... compatability mode... WinXP SP2... runs great!

(WinXP SP3 did NOT work for me).

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 9:52:28 AM PDT
Opera Ghost says:
Thanks for the reply; the problem is that the digital download version of Witch-king tries to sign-in, and EA's killed the Witch-king servers.

The DVD version works fine (even without Compatibility Mode).

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:41:24 AM PDT
Jesse Booth says:
There is an "options.ini" file you can download that will fix any crashing that may occur when starting up the game. I tried it this morning, worked like a charm.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 8:45:25 AM PDT
Opera Ghost says:
Thank you, but that does not address the digital version's authentication issue.

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 12:50:06 AM PDT
Larysius says:
I own the anthology and have had no issues running them all on win7x64. In fact, I didn't have to do anything. I do not have any compatibility settings set up, nor do I have to run anything as administrator. Obviously this could be a fluke, but I also run my games with ISOs instead of physical discs to preserve the originals. The suggestion to use compatibility settings would be my first course of action though, had I had any issues.

I seem to recall having issues with some of the virtual drive programs though, and the copy protection, but I circumvented that by using a lesser known virtual drive program called "virtualdrive pro" by farstone. http://www.farstone.com/software/virtualdrive-pro.php. This can play the iso's I created using alcohol 52% or their proprietary format "VCD" or virtual cd's. Let me know if anyone has any questions, I've had the anthology for a long time now, and find myself going back to it every now and then to play the skirmish modes. Love the games!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2015 12:20:07 AM PDT
Kyle Hill says:
And also sometimes the install messes up and you have to add the options ini file under the My Battle For Middle Earth files in your username section/Apps/Local/Roaming which you can grab that options file elsewhere on the web to add in yourself.

I had that problem with BFME1 and nobody seemed to know what to do giving bogus answers on message forums but I went to a mod site that explained the issue.

A good site that explains it is the BFME Deluxe Edition website an unofficial mod that basically enhances a few things such as sharper textures/remove the intro.etc but leaves the core game intact as is.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›