4.0 out of 5 stars Good product at a good price with some issues to be aware of!, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd) (Electronics)
Length:: 3:21 Mins

I wanted to get a Kindle Fire for my grandson and since I have owned one for over a year I felt the quality was good as well as the functionality of the tablet. Amazon had a one day sale and I picked up one of the new Kindle Fires for $129. I also had seen that many people are having problems setting up their new kindle Fires so I thought I would put together a video review that covers the basic set up, security, pros, cons, comments and a comparison of the old Kindle Fire and this new version.

I you have a question please send me a comment and I will try to help you as best as possible.

Kindle Fire included items:

* USB to micro USB cable 5 feet long
* Kindle Fire
* Simple instruction sheet

Pros:

* Set up of email was fast and easy and within a few minutes I had all my emails downloaded from two accounts downloading the last 25 emails from each account.
* One of the nice features of the new Kindle Fire second-generation is we did get text to speech back for our eBooks.
* Amazon claims a second-generation is 40% faster than the original so far I've been unable to see any real differences but I do notice the typing seems to be more fluid.
* The new Kindle Fire has a battery life of 9 hours and the first version was 7.5 to 8 hours.
* It comes with a USB to a micro USB cable that is 5 feet long

Cons:

* One of the problems I found so far is that the Amazon Kindle Fire second-generation does not accept flash player video files so you cannot play videos from websites. This includes the video reviews on Amazon. To me this is one of the serious losses on the Kindle Fire second-generation and one of the reasons I purchased a Kindle Fire to begin with. This is not Amazon's fault as the developer (Adobe) of Flash Player has decided not to allow Flash Player to be installed on new devices and have put all of their efforts into Adobe Air for mobile devices. There is no word yet what this means for Amazon's new Kindle Fires.
* Amazon claims that the second-generation has twice the memory than the first generation this is only true regarding the onboard one gigabyte of RAM. The actual user memory is still 8 gigabytes.
* Amazon states that the device has 8 GB of memory but that is misleading because upon receiving the new device it only has 5.51 GB of space available. Even that number is misleading since part of the memory is still used for other programs that you're not allowed to see.
* No AC wall adapter is included with the new Kindle Fire this is a major PITA. You have to remember to place the AC adapter on the same order as your Kindle to get it for $9.99 or buy it later for $19.99. Get it as your device will charge with 1.8 Amps versus 500 ma from your PC. This means that it will charge 3.6 times faster!

Old versus new Kindle Fire:

Display - both the old and the new Kindle Fire are the same display with 600 x 1024 pixels and 169 dpi density.

Weight original 14.6 ounces versus new 14.1 ounces.

DC power input connector for both is a Micro USB -B.

AC wall adapter - included with Original and the new version requires that you purchase one for $9.99 at the same time you purchase your Kindle fire or pay $19.99 if you wait.

Device user storage - both at 8 GIG

Usable storage - slightly less than 6 GIG available for the uses purposes on both.

Battery life - original 8 hours of reading or 7.5 hours of video playback with WIFI off, new is rated at 9 hours with WIFI on. Please note that Amazon's product page say 9 hours and 8.5 hours on the same basic page for the battery life.

Charging time - old required 4 hours and new requires 3.3 hours.

Audio output jack - stereo on both with a 3.5 mm jack port.

Size - old 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.38", new 7.44" x 4.72" x 0.45

40 % faster CPU - new only

Ram - old was 500 MB and new is 1 GIG.

Built in Amazon ads - old no and new included and requires 15$ payment to remove them.

X-ray for movies - original not available and the new yes it is available.

X-ray for books - original not available and the new yes it is available. I tried it for 5 books and the kindle advised me that it was not available for 5 out of 5 books.

Text to speech conversion - old version not available and yes it is in the new version. It should be made retroactive to the old version by Amazon and so far it is not even mentioned.

New version of Amazon Silk with 30% faster download of web pages - old version no and new version yes.

Kindle FreeTime for Kids - no for old version and yes for new version.

Comments:

* Facebook took an extraordinary amount of time to set-up as I lost the connection to the Wi-Fi. I had to restart the Kindle Fire by doing a cold start to finish the process. Many people have complained of this occurring and I experienced the same problem. All of my other WIFI devices worked except for the new Kindle Fire.
* Set up of email was fast and easy and within a few minutes I had all my emails downloaded for two separate accounts. I used the EE Mail app which I own.
* I have over 750 books from Amazon and it was one of the biggest time-consuming tasks. I had to download them one at a time and wait for them to be loaded onto the new device. Since the Kindle Fire can literally hold thousands of eBooks I don't understand why you can't have a selection to download them all in one step instead of having to tap each book which is time consuming for 750 books.
* One thing that I found interesting with the new storage details is that one audiobook download with the reader took 526.02 MB of memory while over 750 books only took 415.6 MB of memory. This is a dramatic difference in capacity if you listen to audiobooks alot.
* I was disappointed to find out that across the bottom of the home screen for of every item (Book or App) I pull-up is a list of other items that customers have purchased. This makes the advertising from Amazon even show up on the main page. It's not in the lower left-hand corner as suggested but covers the whole bottom 1 1/2 inches of the main screen that was used for my favorites on my generation 1 Kindle. I was under the impression that the ads were only on the screen before you enter your password. The page on Amazon that shows those same customer suggestions has the words "Customers Also Brought" blacked out and I thought that in the picture on Amazon's promotion page the items shown were the user's favorites and not pushed ads for every item they own.
* In testing the Internet speed in side-by-side comparisons of the old generation one to generation two the response to the get to the webpage is identical. Perhaps the Silk program had not had time to optimize its improvements using my commonly visited web pages.
* Instead of having your favorites aligned across the bottom of the home screen there is a star in the lower right-hand corner of the screen and touching the star allows your favorites to pop up.
* The new Kindle charges in 3.3 hours versus 4 hours for the old one.
* One thing I do miss from the original Kindle is the original Kindle keyboard in the lower left-hand corner had a down keyboard tab to hide the keyboard. This is completely missing on the new Kindle Fire. It's not important that it's missing it's just something I got used to using and now I always look for it.
* One of the nice things that is added is a new calendar app it wasn't really available in the same form on the original Kindle. I haven't used it since I use my Kindle Fire as an entertainment device but you can sync your calendars with the Kindle wirelessly.
* There is also new app called FreeTime which allows a parent to set up the Kindle Fire for a child and limit the type of content they will be able to see. You can limit games, videos and books and also you can set up a time limit they can use the Kindle Fire each day so they don't use it too much. You can even program it to be able to have unlimited reading time but limit the games and videos for example.
* One thing about the Wi-Fi is I have two Kindle Fires sitting side-by-side in the same room with a 1000 milli-watt Wi-Fi transmitter which is 40 times more powerful than most WIFI transmitters. The new Kindle Fire only has two bars and the old Kindle fire has four. They both work at the same speed it just seems unusual to see both of them with different readings. They are exposed to the same signal strength of the transmitter. The new unit is seeing the same signal strength per an app called WIFI Analyzer so perhaps the software for the bar indicator is just not set up properly. I am seeing a -45 dBm signal strength with is massive and the bars should all be at max level.
* The new Kindle is ever so slightly larger but it still fits in my same case which makes me happy.
* I dislike the claim that there's no computer necessary when the first thing you have to do with your new Kindle Fire is to charge it. If you don't have an extra power supply that has a USB port you have to use a computer.
* The new Kindle Fire does support a few more variations of content and you should compare the list to make sure your requirements are included.
* The new Kindle's sound system is louder and crisper with more bass. It is an improvement over the older version.

I am sure I missed many details that may make some people unhappy. I tried to be as thorough as possible. Please take the time to watch my video that I included. It may help you set up your Kindle Fire.

Over all this is a good product and I rate it as a 4 star product. Where else can you buy a tablet for $129 with all the capabilities and features that this one has? I have over 400 apps on my Kindle or in the cloud and 98% of them were free from Amazon's free app of the day program. These kinds of perks make the Kindle a good buy.

Here is the link to the powerful WIFI Analyzer app that you should download. It is an extremely valuable and useful trouble shooting tool:

Wi-Fi Analyzer

Here a link to the Amazon PowerFast charger, make sure that you order it!

Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging (not included with device, for use with the new Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD models)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]