Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Amazon Cash Back Offer Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST. PUMP. EVER., May 18, 2011
This review is from: Philips AVENT BPA Free Manual Breast Pump (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Baby Product)
I can't say enough good things about this pump.
I have used it with 4 children now, and it does work wonders. I EXCLUSIVELY pump, so that should be noted as you read this review.
Pros:
-Way more suction than any other pump I have used. I have tried both electric and manual pumps, and I have gotten the most milk with this one than even the electrics. I usually get the most milk in the morning, and by the time my babies were about 3 months old, I was getting 32 ounces at my first morning pump, with each pumping after that producing about 12-16 ounces during the day. I was pumping about 6 times a day on average at that point.
-I love the portability of the pump....easy to just put it in your [oversized] purse or diaper bag. Better to me than carrying around a big bulky electric unit and pump.
-It's very easy to use; I have used it both with the petal insert and without.
Cons:
-the squeakiness. I have found though (took me 3 kids to figure out a GOOD solution) that adding just a dab of Vaseline does an amazing job of eliminating the squeak. Just put a small amount right where the parts are squeaking (in the middle of the pump where the handle attaches to the suction piece). Other than that, it's very quiet (although EVERY pump is going to make some amount of noise...thankfully you don't get the "whaahhhh whhhhhhho" sound like with an electric).
- the many parts. Granted most pumps have several parts to clean, this pump does feel like you are working on a small project when putting it all back together. That being said, I will admit that I didn't take it all apart EVERY time I cleaned it. Usually just some very hot, slightly soapy water worked out (with the occasional steam sterilization and taking it apart to clean).
- the STRONG suction (which could also be seen as a "pro")... You either should use a small amount of nipple cream beforehand or just adjust how much you squeeze the handle. I definitely got used to it over time, and still preferred the strong suction to not enough suction!

Also, if you're getting some milk under the petal insert (which did happen to me from time to time), just remove the petal insert. I got just as much milk without it.

I really do love this pump. It's been the source of many many bags of stored breast milk and was a life-saver when my daughter wouldn't latch. I don't think I would have exclusively pumped for so long if it weren't for this pump!
I highly recommend!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 9:47:38 AM PDT
ALR says:
32 ounces??? The MOST I have ever gotten is 5. Usually I get much less. What's wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 9:27:22 PM PDT
How old is your baby? I only got 32 ounces with my son (3rd baby), and it was after 3-4 months. I also pumped no longer than every 3 hours. The 32 ounces was a first morning pump, so it was after a whole night of not pumping. :) Every woman's body is different. Just stay consistent. With breastmilk, it's all supply and demand. Your body will start creating more when the demand increases. You may never go higher than 8-10 ounces per feeding, which is OK, since really you just need to produce enough for them to eat. Good luck!

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 7:25:40 AM PDT
Julie says:
Wow. That is an incredible supply. I just want to say to other moms reading this don't be discouraged. Typical pumped output is 2-4 ounces PER PUMP session on both breasts, though successful EP'ers do tend to have a bigger supply.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 5:04:19 PM PDT
Yes, that's true, my supply is atypical. My point is more so that you shouldn't blame your supply on a manual (or electric) pump! The fact that I was able to produce that much milk via a manual pump says a lot about the suction and power of the manual. But yes, most moms do not pump that many ounces. Just stay consistent with your pumping and don't go any longer than 3-4 hours. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›