3.0 out of 5 stars The First Time I've Ever Had to Return a Kindle, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
Let me start by saying, I'm all about the Kindle. I currently own a Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD 7 inch and now a Kindle Paperwhite (have also owned a Kindle 2 and the original Kindle Fire). All are in good working order. Until early last year I ran a wiki page teaching owners how to add screensavers and fonts etc. to their Kindles (you can Google my screen name to find it). I am a Kindle Fan Girl.

That said, I have not had the best experience with my Kindle Paperwhite(s). In fact, this is the first time I've ever had to return a Kindle and I had to do it twice. I'm giving the Paperwhite a 3-star rating because the screen does not live up to the expectations Amazon led me to have.

Paperwhite #1 had diagonal stripes of greenish blue or bluish green which were very distracting when reading. More noticeable the brighter the light. It had to go back.

Paperwhite #2 is mostly bluish green with an amoeba like blob of pinkish beige just off center on the screen. It was better for reading than PW #1, but I opted to ask for another replacement hoping that the third time would be the charm.

Paperwhite #3 was similar to #1 but not as intense. It's as though the diagonal stripes were softer and less defined than those on PW #1.

I am keeping PW #2 as it is the least distracting of the 3. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not getting the PW with the beautiful screen that Amazon and the critics have praised. And I'm not sure that for me, I will ever find the "perfect" PW screen in this first generation. I've come to three opinions.

1 - All Paperwhites are defective in this way
2 - There is a big batch of Paperwhites with quality control problems
3 - A number of us are more color sensitive and are the only ones who see the blotchy/stripy screens

On the whole, I still think the Kindle Paperwhite is pretty darn cool. The lighting on the PW is preferable to using a book light with my other Kindles because I don't have to adjust the light every time I change reading positions and there is no super-bright hot spot visible if I don't hold the Kindle just right (on the Kindle or in my eyes). I don't have a problem with the LED shadows at the bottom of the screen.

I eagerly look forward to improvements in Kindle Paperwhite 2.0.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 7:48:29 PM PDT
P. M. H. says:
Deb, you may want to talk to Kindle CS again. I hear that some folks are being shipped Paperwhites that have been check by an engineer before shipping cuz of getting several defective ones. My best friend got a PW Wi-Fi 6 days ago and I got the 3G one 4 days ago. Both Kindles look like the beautiful pictures on Amazon. I feel sad for all the folks that received poor units, but there good ones out there.

I have used mine in a variety of lighting conditions, read a book and a half, and it has some very light smudges at the bottom in some conditions that go away after I adjust the light.

Good luck on getting a good one!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 8:25:10 PM PDT
Deb says:
Thanks P.M.H., I do know that some folks have been contacted by Amazon after returning multiple PWs. If I don't hear from someone in the next week, I will follow up.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:14:00 AM PDT
Gero.Araujo says:
Deb,

I am going to buy my first Kindle and I was pretty much sure to buy the new PW until I`ve seen all those bad (or "OK") reviews. Now I am really thinking to have the keyboard one... What should I do in your opinion??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:38:40 AM PDT
Deb says:
Hi Gero,

Since Amazon does have a 30 day return policy, I would suggest you order the Kindle Paperwhite. If the screen is not to your liking, return and get the keyboard. I love all my Kindles and still use them (though whatever is newest usually gets used the most :-) ). Good luck, I hope you're one of the lucky ones and gets a good Paperwhite screen the first try!

Deb

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 9:21:33 AM PST
Chris Bailey says:
Deb, the Paperwhite is not the only e-reader with this technology. Don't settle for a defective product. I've had 4 already with the same problem.

The Kobo Glo uses the same technology with no color blotches. The Nook Glowlight isn't great, but way more tolerable than reading over green and pink hues.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›