1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, squeaky, August 23, 2011
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 129XL.335557 Aviator Tuskegee Warhawk Automatic Date Black Watch (Watch)
I just got this watch -- never even had a chance to wear it out of the house -- and it's already broken. I'm returning it now. A word of warning about Stuhrling watches in general: all of them come with a card that says if you give them a positive review on Amazon, they'll extend the manufacturer's warranty. To me, that seems pretty fishy. If you see positive reviews on Amazon, you can ask yourself: did that person really think the watch was good? Or was the watch shoddy and they needed to extend the warranty?

Also, the joints where the watchband met the watch were amazingly squeaky.

The watch did look pretty nice -- just like in the picture.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2011 5:33:25 AM PDT
I agree heartily that to extend the warranty in return for a favorable review is exceedingly sleazy. It is reason enough not to buy their products. One small point: My understanding is that they extend the warranty for ANY review. Still, either way, they are trying to encourage brand loyalty with a tactic that reduces the reviewer's objectivity and therefore the reliability of the review. I don't like the smell of it and wouldn't buy a watch from a company that did this.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 12:23:25 AM PDT
Linda Miller says:
I've had a ladies Wall Street Stuhrling for a few years and love it. although in certain lights the gold hands are difficult to distinguish from the gold works. I've even thought of getting the hands painted black or replaced. It is beautiful and very accurate, keeping running for a day or so if I leave it off. The gold-plate and glass withstand my rough treatment. I don't have an extended warranty - never knew about it until today when I started looking for another Stuhrling. I don't agree that it is "exceedingly sleazy" to extend the warranty for a favourable review. What would be the point of giving or receiving an extended warranty if the watch was no good anyway? It is excellent value for money and I'm willing to take the risks implied by Tobias. Reckon he was just unlucky. Anyway Tobias, please let us know what happened after you returned yours.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 10:37:17 AM PDT
JoeyDEE says:
Tobias Green, have you hear of an automatic watch? most people younger than forty have'nt. You have to shake em to keep them running because there's no battery, only mechnical movement. If they sit awhile they just run down. But, an automac can last for years. As for the squeak- that's good, real calf skin will do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 11:41:42 AM PDT
Tobias Green says:
Yes, I know what an automatic watch is. Do tell me, though -- are parts supposed to fall off of them?

If you think a squeaky watch is good, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 3:14:56 AM PDT
Linda Miller says:
Ouch! But how is Stuhrling responding to your complaint? Offered a replacement? Or did you demand money back?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 6:05:05 AM PDT
Tobias Green says:
I returned it to Amazon. They refunded my money. Great service as always.

In my opinion, it's always easiest to deal with the retailer first when you buy a shoddy product (no matter what it is.) They can replace it, they can refund you, and they're who would be involved if it came to the point where you had to try to do a chargeback on your credit card. I'd only try to contact a manufacturer if it was something I'd owned for awhile and going to the retailer was no longer an option.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 6:12:48 AM PDT
Linda Miller says:
Thanks Tobias. Good to know. I still love my Stuhling.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 3:30:18 AM PST
ThomasC says:
My brother bought this watch for me after I told him I like it's simple and sporty look. The date adjustment seem to not work very well, and the glass is very reflective making it hard to read the time under strong lights. I got two watches from amazon one is a Sturhling and the other is Invicta. These two brand always appear in the amazon search, anyway I'm disappointed in both my purchase.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 5:50:04 PM PST
jfln says:
Thanks for the head's up concerning their marketing tactic of encouraging positive reviews. They really need to rethink that, since that would tend to encourage biased reviews...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›