Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Are You?, May 26, 2004
This review is from: The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are (Paperback)
I read this book when it was first published in 1966, re-read it after an unexpected opportunity to meet Alan Watts just before he died (in 1973), and then re-read it again recently after having recommended it highly to a close personal friend. Long ago, I became convinced that the nature and extent of any book's impact are almost entirely dependent on (a) the nature and extent of our life experiences when reading a book and (b) the nature and extent of our ability to absorb and digest whatever that book may offer. Watts's The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are offers an excellent case in point. Frankly, Watts's personal impact on me now is greater than were the first and second readings of his book. At the beginning of our brief encounter, I immediately sensed his stunning intellect and compelling decency. More impressive by far was a sense of his spirituality. It was most evident in his eyes and tone of voice. More then twenty years later, I re-read The Book. What follows is an admittedly clumsy attempt to share my thoughts and feelings about it.

First, with regard to the title and subtitle, Watts explains that "The Book I am thinking about [and later wrote] would not be religious in the usual sense, but it would have to discuss many things with which religions have been concerned -- the universe and man's place in it, the mysterious center of experience which we call 'I myself.' the problems of life and love, pain and death, and the whole question of whether existence has meaning has meaning in [in italics] any sense of the word."

With regard to the subtitle, Watts explains that there is no need for a new religion or a new bible. "We need a new experience -- a new feeling of what it is to be 'I.' The lowdown (which is, of course, the secret and profound view) on life is that our normal sensation of self is a hoax, or, at best, a temporary role that we are playing, or have been conned into playing -- with our own tacit consent, just as every hypnotized person is basically willing to be hypnotized. The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."

So, that was the book Watts was thinking about writing, and, the taboo to which he devotes most of his attention (directly or indirectly) throughout the book he eventually wrote.

What do I now think of this book? First, it retains its ecumenical spirit but in ways and to an extent I did not fully appreciate years ago. Watts is very respectful of all of the major religions, at least in terms of the common values they affirm; however, he also suggests (and I agree) that those values have been concealed by layer-after-layer of doctrine, policy, and procedure. Watts's point: "The standard-brand religions, whether Jewish, Christian, Mohammedan, or Buddhist, are -- as now practiced -- like exhausted mines very hard to dig." Also, I am again struck by the fact that Watts suggests a mindset which is inclusive, tolerant (and when appropriate, forgiving...especially of self), and at all times determined to continue a process of self-discovery. It seems that he wrote this book because he had become concerned about man's alienation from himself (herself) as well as from other human beings and from the physical world within which all of us struggle to achieve (in Abraham Maslow's terms) survival, then security, and eventually self-fulfillment.

This is not a book for dilettantes. Watts is quite serious when posing questions so easily phrased but so difficult to answer, at least responsibly. In his view, "for thousands of years human history has been a magnificently futile conflict, a wonderfully staged panorama of triumph and tragedies based on the resolute taboo against admitting that black goes with white [i.e. that diametrically opposed forces can co-exist, indeed nourish each other]. Nothing, perhaps, ever got nowhere with so much fascinating ado." Having recently re-read this book, I was reminded of what Whitman observed in Song of Myself: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes."

I am also reminded of the key concept in Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death. He acknowledges that all of us die eventually. Only the suicide decides the circumstances in which physical death occurs. However, Becker suggests that there is another death that CAN be denied: That which occurs when when we become totally preoccupied with fulfilling others' expectations of us.

For me, that is the essential point in The Book. Watts concludes with a quotation of James Broughton's observations:

This is It
and I am It
and You are It
and so is That
and He is It
And She is It
and It is It
and That is That.

"To come on like IT -- to play at being God -- is to play the Self as a role, which is just what it isn't. When IT plays, it plays at being everything else."

"Who am I?" Alan Watts offers this book which can help to answer that question. However, the inevitably perilous journey of self-discovery can only be completed by each of us. And that journey may require many years of frustration and confusion...without any guarantee that any of us will reach the destination we seek. Our choice. It always was, is...and will be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2006 5:39:32 AM PST
Sarah Evans says:
What an awesome review. I'm overwhemed by the amount of work he has out. This maybe a good restart for me too

Posted on Apr 21, 2008 7:11:39 PM PDT
Phil says:
Beautiful review. Thank you!

Posted on Jun 14, 2008 8:16:52 PM PDT
What beautiful, thoughtful writing. Thank you.

Posted on May 2, 2010 12:12:32 AM PDT
Tony V says:
Jesus Christ Robert, that was the most profound thing ever written in so many words. How can any book live up to that review. I'm actually afraid to read the book now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 4:24:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 8:51:40 AM PST
Thank you to everyone for sharing their comments. Please understand that the value of The Book far exceeds the value of anything I can say about it. And please do not be afraid of anything or anyone, especially yourself. Read and (hopefully) re-read The Book, then formulate your own thoughts and feelings about it.

I agree with Oscar Wilde: "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

To one and all, best wishes and warmest regards,

Bob Morris

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 5:39:38 PM PST
I found your review about as elegant as Alan himself wrote! Well done. I too re-read my Watts books, sometimes after only a month or two. There's so much to mine. I haven't read this work yet,but shall add it to my library right this moment. Peace-Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 11:54:40 PM PST
Thank you for your comments. I am eager to know what you think of this book and look forward to whatever thoughts and feelings you wish to share. Meanwhile, best wishes and warmest regards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2010 8:14:50 AM PST
It should arrive any day now, I'll stay in touch. Peace-Mike

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 10:11:58 AM PDT
Douglas King says:
I really liked this part of your review: "I became convinced that the nature and extent of any book's impact are almost entirely dependent on (a) the nature and extent of our life experiences when reading a book and (b) the nature and extent of our ability to absorb and digest whatever that book may offer."

Couldn't be more true. I just read this book, and it seemed to come into my life at just the right time. It may have been written in the 60's, but it is just as relevant and revolutionary today.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 10:21:01 AM PDT
Thank you for sharing. As my review indicates, the book and I encountered each other when I really needed Alan Watts' affirmations of what I had begun to doubt: My own value as a flawed human being. I have since re-read the book at least once every six months and recently read and then re-read another that I also now hold in high regard: Michael Brown's The Presence Process (Revised Edition). You may wish to check it out. Meanwhile, best regards.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›