The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Requires Cal Tech Phd to install, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision (Black) (Camera)
There is nothing more frustrating than purchasing an item, trying to install it and thinking all through out the process you're doing something wrong. After finally throwing in the towel to get the wireless feature set up, I took a look at what other reviewers had to say. Even those who gave the product high marks and several who had IT/Technical backgrounds commented on the fact that install was, I will be kind and say, challenging... It was great to see many reviewers post "work arounds" that could be performed to remedy user issues - hats of to those individuals!! Based on user comments of the company's tech support team its clear that Foscam is paying the wrong people to support it's product. I think it's also very important to know that it requires you to purchase an annual DYNDNS subscription for $20.00. This charge is automatically renewed for you and if you do not accept those terms you cannot purchase the service. As others have stated, it simply looked to good to be true and it was.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 5, 2014 12:11:35 PM PDT
Hello,

We apologize for the poor experience with our camera. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing back from you. We have a video setup series as well as written guides to help in setting up the camera. Our phone support has the ability, with your permission, to remote into the computer and setup the camera. All of our cameras are now coming with a built in free DDNS through the manufacturer. If there are more specific questions we do have email support at support@foscam.us If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact us at amazon@foscam.us and we will do everything we can to assist you.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,
Foscam Customer Service

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 7:11:02 PM PST
G. Greg says:
If you think you require the same degree to let's say set up a wireless network at home, then you are right. For everybody else - it is not that difficult to setup. Not worse than any other IP cam. Also, it does NOT require you to purchase anything, you can use no dynamic DNS service or use a free one. Most of broadband providers do not change your address that often, so unless your surveillance application is mission critical, you are OK using whatismyip website to figure out your external IP address and use that until it changes...

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:35:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 12:42:48 PM PST
I don't own this cam and I am not even sure I will buy it or not. Like most people, I am reading reviews to help in the purchasing decision.

But, I just want to correct the misinformation in this review b/c it is doing a disservice to people like me who research for products to buy.

You are absolutely NOT REQUIRED to use the DynDNS service or any DNS host service for that matter. It's just an option and there are FREE DNS host services out there.

If you have a commercial/business internet service, you're most likely on a static external IP. So there is no need for that.
If you have a residential internet service, it is almost certain that you are on a dynamic external IP. BUT, like G. Greg says above, even then, your external IP will seldom change. I can't remember the last time my exterenal IP did change! But if you want to be sure and want to use a DNS host service, there are FREE ones like no-ip.com. As a matter of fact, on Foscam's web site, it even says, "Before we used to recommend to use DynDNS but unforuntaley it isn't free anymore. We now recommened no-ip.com for your free DNS hostname."

And if you don't want to bother with setting up an DNS host service, there is a work around. A little cumbersome but it works. Install a FREE remote control software like TeamViewer (again there are plenty of other FREE ones) on one computer at home and on a client device, i.e., a laptop you'll take with you when you're away from home or a smart phone. Just leave that home computer on when you are away. If your external IP does change and you can't access the cam, just use the remote control software to get into that home computer and do a whatismyip using that computer to figure out the current external IP.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 6:58:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2013 7:28:50 PM PST
Oldguy says:
Howdy, I don't own one of these, perhaps I am happier that way. What I don't understand is the usage of DYNDNS. Any ISP will issue one or more public TCP/IP number(s). This can be in form of a Dynamic number (cheaper service) or a Static IP number. In both cases the key is to know your current IP number. Dynamically assigned IP's will change after a reboot (and take more than few minutes get back running) of your Router / Modem or whatever gives you access to the net. If you don't reboot your Router / modem, chances are that you hug a Dynamic IP for more than three month or even 6 month. Granted a static IP will be persistent and takes the guesswork out of the equation, however cost more. And this is the point, DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) works the same as a static IP, except it changes and that's why static is more expensive. In both cases there is no or little human intervention.
Once you have your current IP there is no need to resolve your Modem or Router, because you already know what IP it is using. I understand that the Camera is using a mini streaming server running on a predefined port and is using DHCP. If your camera sits behind you routers firewall, you can a: assign a Static number on your LAN b: open the port that the camera is using. Do some port forwarding and off you go.
From the outside you type your current known TCP/IP number into the browsers URL (Universal Resource Locater) bar and connect to your modem ---> Router ---> Camera. There is however an other possible hurdle to take. Your ISP may block packets from your LAN!!! In most cases you can contact them and tell them that you need the Camera Port open. If they refuse, it's time to say good bye!!!!
As to the Wireless setup, YES it can be frustrating if you lose track of what you are doing. Modern Wireless routers have several Security protocols that they CAN use. In my opinion it goes wrong if apples are mixed with tomato's. WEP (wired equivalent privacy) and there is WPK, WPK2 etc. all are different from each other. All devices have to talk the same protocol, if not, nothing will work. Atop, Microsoft sometimes thinks that there has to be a change and suddenly you perfectly wireless laptop doesn't work either anymore. This is in my opinion why many owner can't get the darn thing to work. As for my part, I only need Lip Service/Support when my device is within the warranty and gave up it's ghost, otherwise I do search the internet for answers. Not always the fastest, but I gain a lot more understanding in regards what makes it tick.
There are NO resolver involved, this is what DynDns does. Resolving a Humanly readable name to your TCP/IP number!
All DNS services are merely a convenience to us forgettable Humans. The Internet works of TCP/IP addressing, exclusively numbers in the form of 123.23.45.100 ( this is just an example and don't use it). You have the right number you can go there from anywhere in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 11:14:17 PM PDT
biker says:
you can configure the camera to send you an email with the ip address whenever it changes

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Aug 5, 2014 12:11:35 PM PDT