ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

5.0 out of 5 stars A pure joy, April 2, 2008
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S300 Color Mobile Scanner (Office Product)
My reasoning: (Vista Ultimate laptop)

1) It intelligently waits until the computer is idle, to auto-perform OCR chores. You have the option to do so as you scan, but this slows down scanning. There's also a menu click which yields a list of scans awaiting OCR-- really nice touch!

2) Unlike proprietary organizers, the "cabinets" created within the organizer software are actual directories on your hard disk. Likewise, folders created within the organizer's cabinets are subdirectories on your disk. So, you get the best of all worlds-- use the organizer knowing you're not locked in, as it's just a slick interface for what is actually existing on your drive. (i.e., Create a cabinet = create a directory)

3) Thermal receipts, even trying-to-fade ones, come thru crisp and clear, miraculously, when scanning.

4) I have Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, which is a necessary evil in my business. I can now avoid that bloated monster altogether when it comes to receipts and anything else I choose to scan using this system. That alone is worth the price of entry!

5) The duplex scanning is wondrous-- paper goes thru only once, with both sides captured simultaneously -- speedily. This still blows my mind (I have a duplex Canon MP830 multifunction-- for all practical purposes, its scanner has been blown away by this device.)

6) Let's face it-- sometimes, paper jams. This is the FIRST machine encountered-- since the late 80's when I started computing-- which makes it so easy to fix things. You just push the little square silver arrow atop the scanner, open, get the paper, and close it. Incredibly easy and no-fuss! And yes, the wrinkled paper then flows thru fine (I gently kept a finger on that one item as it scanned thru, just to be safe.) BTW, I had scanned upwards of 300 items before a jam occurred.

7) Lots of options, re speed, resolution, etc. All easy to get to, all quick to implement. These folks actually used this thing during the creation process, as it seems they didn't miss a trick in making this a genuinely consumer friendly device!

8) The consumables are comparatively cheap. The pad assembly (Part # PA03541-0002) needs replacement every 10,000 sheets or a year-- google the actual part # to see the $8 retailers); the pick roller (Part # PA03541-0001) lasts about 100,000 sheets-- about $12. I noticed a huge price variation among retailers while googling, so I placed my order today; they're not in stock at most places, but I have plenty of time so who cares. This is bound to be a profoundly popular scanner per word-of-mouth, and consumable prices may increase accordingly. BTW, right-click the ScanSnap Manager tray icon for "check consumable supplies" to get a tally on current sheet usage, which you can reset during the replacement process.

9) Small footprint-- lives in a bookcase shelf atop my desk.

10) One of the rare occasions where I've had absolutely no post-purchase regrets with an electronic item!

Long and short of it is this: I've finally lived long enough to see one hardware manufacturer get everything right. There's a pdf manual, but I read it only to investigate consumables (thought it would be a "gotcha!" but was pleasantly suprised at the reasonable cost). I assume you're reading these reviews carefully (as I did), trying to decide between the ScanSnap and a lower priced alternative. For once, I decided not to play cheapskate, and boy oh boy, am I glad!! (The price here has already escalated a bit, so do it now, my friend!)

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2008 9:24:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2008 7:33:04 PM PDT
P.Broadnax says:
My bad! There's actually a *printed* manual. I'm so used to pdf manuals that my brain skipped a beat while I was tapping out my review. .... BTW, still loving' it!

Update (May 22nd), following Vista SP1 install: Still working fine!

Posted on Sep 20, 2008 3:13:42 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
Thanks for the detailed review, based on your description and experiences I'm going to start testing this device for my clients field offices to replace their numerously flawed HP OfficeJet 7000 series MFD's and use the Fujitsu for scanning and a separate print device. The price of this Fujitsu and a basic HP or Lexmark InkJet is still at least $100 less than the bunged up HP.

Posted on Dec 12, 2008 4:23:33 PM PST
D. Wilson says:
I don't understand why a digital scanner would have consumables, like ink? Or were you just talking about the parts the paper touchs wearing out? I mean it doesn't print, so why does it have consumables? My canon MP scanner, just put the paper,picture etc on the glass it scans your done. I've never replaced anything but ink for the printer. sorry if I am missing something. And thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 6:56:00 PM PDT
Just like a printer this unit has a separation pad and a pickup roller. Those are the "consumable" parts.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2009 3:36:30 PM PDT
P.Broadnax says:
FYI: A year has passed. Still as satisfied today as I was way back when. Actually, even more so!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 7:32:55 AM PDT
P.Broadnax says:
Clarification: Both my preceding comments, as well as the review itself, predate my Amazon Vine membership -- which commenced in May 2009.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2009 6:29:39 PM PDT
Any way to get the "searchable" pdf.s created on the ScanSnap S300 into editable Word doc.s?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2009 10:04:50 PM PDT
M. Ringer says:
Open the pdf, highlight the text you want, copy, paste into a Word doc. In my experience, the OCR is very good and only rarely requires a fix. The OCR does not to a good job of copying formatting; you will need to reformat the text when you get it into word.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›