Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on bgg

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this game!, March 15, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Street Fighter X Tekken - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have this game for both systems. The 360 version was bought here on Amazon. And the PS3 version was bought 5 days before launch at a local mom and pop shop.

Street Fighter X Tekken is a ton of fun. It really is. But it's cons are very difficult to overlook. First there is the situation with the online. In this day and age netcode is too important. The ability to play online against friends or even strangers from around the world is one of the reasons the genre has made a complete comeback. SFXT's netcode sacrifices sound in order to run smoothly. The kicker is that it still struggles to run smooth even when sacrificing this precious audio. If you rely on sound for hit and block confirms, just stay away.
***Online update*** As of 4/10/12, the sound issue has been addressed, but many have complained about increased input lag since the patch.

Local to online co-op a.k.a. couch co-op

Got a friend over and the 2 of you want to jump online and do some ranked matches together? If you bought this game on Xbox 360, it's not possible. I'm not sure about later, but right now as I write this review, the 360 version does not have couch co-op even though it's advertised to and is even in the manual. At first Capcom blamed Microsoft. Claiming that the 360 was not able to do it because of it's architecture. That was a blatant lie that they got called out on because MK9 among other games can do this very thing. Then they claimed the 360 version was never supposed to have the feature and that it being in the manual was a mistake. And now, at the time of me writing this, the latest "explanation" is that they were on a tight schedule and they made the "tough decision" to leave it out. Which means the whole time they intentionally kept quiet about it long enough to get our money and let us discover the mode was missing on our own.

Now I already had a SF4 Round 2 TE, but I was hyped about this game. So I picked up a SFXT Fightstick V.S.(which I'll also be doing a review for) and it works wonderfully. If you're an arcade stick user you've got nothing to worry about. But pad warriors beware. The game has a problem reading diagonal inputs from a pad. Quite often when attempting to jump towards or away from your opponent, you'll get a neutral jump instead. And you'll also get swept when you're trying to crouch block because it'll register as down instead of down/back. This is a serious problem and wouldn't have possibly made into the final retail build if the game had received any sort of Quality & Assurance testing. Taking builds to tournaments and having top players fiddle around with it on the flashy new arcade sticks you're trying to market does not substitute for Q&A.

Color Edit Mode

KoFXIII offers up an amazing color edit mode. SFXT does not. As of right now only 2 colors are available. The additional packs will supposedly be free. But even though they're on the disc, Capcom sees it fit to ration them out over the course of 2012 rather then just let us have our fun with the color options now. The majority will have likely moved on already by the time all colors are finally available.

I was in favor of the gems initially while everyone else was skeptical from the beginning. I saw them as a potentially fun mechanic if done right. Well, everyone else was right to be skeptic. When you've faced as many people as I have online using the auto block gem as a crutch to defend against what would have otherwise been solid mix-ups, it suddenly becomes clear to you why the community thought they were a bad idea, and why tournaments don't allow them at all. The gems take an already unbalanced game and makes it even more so.

Disc-Locked Content: The new meaning for DLC

If you thought what I said before was bad, it gets even worse here. Locked away on the disc that you've already spent your hard earned money on is a ton of content that Capcom intends to squeeze you for. There are 12 additional characters, costumes, more powerful gems, additional quick combos, and more colors for the edit mode. Here's an idea of just how bad Capcom intends to make you literally pay for your decision to get SFXT. In Europe the costumes have already went on sale. They are £0.79 each. Which is about $1 US. There are 38 characters readily available and 12 locked characters. That's 50 characters total. Each character has 2 alternate costumes. So if you want them all, that's $100 just for COSTUMES. That's not even counting how much it's going to cost you to unlock the additional characters. You're already paying more for locked content than you did for the purchase of the game initially.

The good: The Tekken characters utilize ground bounces. And the Street Fighter characters utilize wall bounces. If you pick one of each, you get the best of both worlds. The Tekken characters surprisingly fit right in. Some of them fight a lot like their Tekken versions(Kazuya), and some fight nothing like their Tekken versions(Heihachi). But Capcom did a wonderful job of capturing the essence and character of the Tekken cast.

The bad: Damage scaling on combos is so severe, it's as if you're penalized for getting good at the game. It's too easy for non stick users to accidentally trigger quick combos, and there is no way to turn this off. "Grey Health" regenerates too fast. That combined with the heavy damage scaling results in most ranked matches ending in a Time Over. And Pandora is an unusable mechanic. It's so weak, no one dares to even bother with it. If you trigger Pandora during a match, there's a 95%+ chance that you're going to lose because of it. Scarily, there are even more problems than what I've named. I just listed a handful.

This game looks great! Everything is in the SF4 art style, but the characters have been touched up a bit. And characters that had to be built from the ground up like all of the Tekken characters, and some from the SF side like Poison, Hugo, Rolento, etc. look amazing. The stages all look great too.

A game backed up with lies and shady business practices from it's publisher isn't something that I can honestly recommend. It's a great fighter at it's very core, but purchasing it will just encourage Capcom to continue treating their consumer/fanbase like they're stupid. SFXT is a ridiculous cash grab masquerading as a fighting game. I can't recommend someone buy half of a game for $60 and then the rest of it, which is locked ON THE DISC for over $100. They didn't have time to make sure the 360 version had couch co-op. They didn't have time to make sure the online was solid for either console. They didn't even have time to make sure pad players could enjoy the game. But they did however have time to make content to lock away on the disc. In short, do not buy this game.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 1:57:47 AM PDT
Justin Ramon says:
A-MEN to everything you stated in your review, I personally wouldn't give it a 1 star maybe 3.5 but your all your comments are spot on a one of the best and fairest reviews on amazon. The only thing you forgot to mention was the "story mode" and all there DUMA$$ ending (except Ryu/Ken, which is maybe half decent). The money grabing DLC alone is enough to knock the game down 2 stars plus the non-functional diagonal input knocks it down either 1 star or .5 star. I have been playing SF as long as the next man and this is the ONLY SF game that I actually consider/considering selling back to a gamestore (thinking about selling it back to get Binary Domain). This game is by far the worse SF game to date, even the SF EX plus series are better than this and I mean ALL of the SF EX plus series (I actually enjoy SF EX plus Alpha 1 and 2); the only SF game worse then SFXT is the horridous SF movie game on the Sega Saturn! Buyer Beware indeed...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 6:49:29 PM PDT
DarkAdonis says:
Thank you. I appreciate your complement. At first I thought that my 1 star rating was a little heavy handed. But when I thought about how major things like the online netcode and even small things like diagonal inputs got such half-hearted effort, I felt like it was appropriate. DLC aside, SFXT is still a very unfinished product. It's got 10X the problems that fighting games usually have. Every couple of days a new crazy bug or infinite is discovered. And though they will patch them all in time, it's not fair to the consumer to pay $60 to be a beta tester.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 7:14:06 PM PDT
Apparently people who have managed to unlock all that locked content are being aggressively punished, having their Live accounts banned and being threatened with legal action. And Capcom just officially said that on-disc DLC to them is the same as DLC made post-release.
Capcom has lost my business. And keep in mind that I bought every console iteration of Street Fighter II and III. I have my fingers crossed that Tekken X Street Fighter won't employ the same shady business practices.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 9:29:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 9:32:00 PM PDT
Justin Ramon says:
Here! Here! espsically your last statement about how it's not fair for consumer to pay $60 bucks to be a beta tester. I concur, if you (Capcom and other gaming gaints) are to produce half-a$$ games that have patches every 15 days or so then please PLEASE pay me (and other gamer who this the game) as a beta tester! I can use the extra cash. Like I stated before on my previous post, I agree with everything DarkAdonis said but let me clear up any misconception; I do enjoy the game it has the potential to be in the top 5 best SF game (SF3 is number 1) but its is unfinished and a shame/scam that we paid 60+ for an unfinished product.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 1:22:15 AM PDT
Thanks for the great and honest truthful review. Cashcom really put the screws to 360 owners and what pisses me off is, that like you stated FULL of excuses PLUS no plans to patch up the problem and on top of that, we are getting milked for characters that are already there. Though as my friend and others have stated, Cashcom will most likely have a SfXTK hypersuperspecialturbo edition....:/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 12:42:01 PM PDT
Amihaze says:
Played the game myself not long ago (Redbox'd it - I'd heard horrible things) and I completely agree with your post. Although I experienced some major issues playing with certain Tekken characters due to the fight mechanics simply not supporting them.

Unfortunately this sends an even clearer message after MvC3 and UMvC3 - that Capcom, while they can make games that are unbearably fun, can't seem to make fighting games with good MECHANICS anymore. I put MvC3 down despite the fun I was having because of broken mechanics. Purchased UMvC3. Eventually put it down too. Not even out of hatred or anything rant-worthy like that. I simply don't want to play them anymore.

SFxT is no different in that regard, except it horribly maims some Tekken characters' personalities. As the reviewer said, stay away. Especially if you're a Tekken player.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:12:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:13:10 AM PDT
Justin Ramon says:
I believe that this game is actually tailored more towards the Tekken players then traditional SF players. I played this joint the 3rd day it came out, I just sold it Friday of last week and I noticed a HUGE different between day 3 and now (of course natural evolution of player's skill getting better with time is expected). When I first hopped online, more player were gaming with SF character (you know your typical RYU/KEN combo, AKUMA, some Kazyua here and there) but the last day I hopped on, it was all Tekken, all the time. Ryu and Ken were fossil, the only kats playing with them were the lower graded (D's and some C's) gamers; everyone was using Kazyua, Jin,that GD Hworang, Julia and Asuka at that point. The Tekken characters King, Xiaoyu, Steve and Raven were popping up more often as well as SF characters Rolento and Juri. The reason why is there simple (yet often difficult to block) combo system that the SF characters lack, also Tekken character has way more middies (move that attacks mid-level which completely nullifies the crouching low guard and some standing guard) then SF character that are incorporated in their combos. Another main imbalance that Tekken character has the SF doesn't is the ability to either completely dodge projectile with jumping or refeclting them back (Xiaoyu) as well as having counter moves, the only SF character with a counter is Dudley and he aint even out yet, while Steve, Jin, Heihachi, Orge, Nina, King, Murdock, Julia and Asuka all have counters (I am probably missing one or two, I think Bob has one)!

So in closing, again I believe that this game was tailored made of the Tekken players instead of the SF traditionalist for the Tekken character move sets are again tailored made of this cheap-combo infested mechanics. A little personal story to share, I played a guy online who literally beat me so bad that if you were watching the game as bystander you would've swore that he was playing the game on the training mode because I DIDN'T move (better yet I wasn't able to move) from the onset of both matches (yes he beat me with 2 perfects, the worse beating I have EVER, and I mean EVER encounter in my 18 years of playing SF!). Is that a reason for anyone to not buy the game..NO, was that final straw for me to sell the game...unequivocally YES!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›