29 of 30 people found the following review helpful
Works on my pre-unibody 2008 MacBook Pro 15"! (Purchased from Amazon and not from a merchant),
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Apple 85Watt Magsafe Power Adapter Mc556ll/a W/extention Cable for Macbook Pro (Personal Computers)
I bought this from Amazon and not through one of their third party merchants. It seems Amazon has stopped selling the genuine Apple adapter as of 9/29/2011. Use caution if buying form an unauthorized Apple reseller instead of Amazon.
I needed a spare MagSafe charger for my pre-unibody 2008 MacBook Pro 15" and discovered that Apple no longer sells the model A1222 MagSafe 85W charger that came with my MBP. I was concerned that purchasing the newer replacement model MagSafe 85W Apple charger would not be compatible with my older generation MBP because of the complaints found online regarding incompatibility. This incompatibility was supposedly fixed with a firmware update to the older MBP but there were still online reports of this firmware update not allowing this newer MagSafe charger to work.
I was relieved to find that this newer model MagSafe charger does work well with my older MBP! I have not had any charging issues at all.
1. Works on my older pre-unibody MacBook Pro!
2. Same interchangeable parts and design as the A1222 MagSafe (except the "L" shaped connector at the very end that connects to the MacBook Pro)
3. Includes the longer extension power cord
4. Looks nicer than the older in-line "T" connector of the A1222 model
1. I have a Speck brand case over my MBP which adds thickness of about 1 mm which is enough to cause the MagSafe connector to not be seated completely. The connector still has just enough of a deep seat to allow charging, but the connection is not snug and can more easily be disconnected than when using the more in-line "T" connector.
You can still find online the older model A1222 85 Watt Apple MagSafe charger if you prefer the more in-line "T" connection, especially if you have a case like mine which causes the connector to not fit completely (although it is still functional).