5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional - And I use it with a D600!!!, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Think Tank Retrospective 5 Shoulder Bag - Pinestone (Camera)
Let me begin by saying I first bought this for my Fuji X-Pro 1 and extra lens, but then I sold the Fuji and "came home to Jesus": a Nikon D600.

*** Comment updated on Nov 13 2012, after a month of traveling in Europe with the bag ***

Make no mistake, as is usual with Think Tank, this is THE BEST, most well built and assembled camera bag you will find anywhere. This and the wapiti straps (not available @ Amazon but Mr Google can solve that problem in 5 seconds) are a perfect combination. This is a solidly built bag and for someone to snatch away they would need to take you with them, it is that good! I traveled with the flap turned toward my body whenever I was in a crowded space or worried for safety and it is perfect. Also, it doesn't scream "camera bag". I'm even buying my new one in black to make it even more inconspicuous (although this color is nice too).

Also, it is a beautiful bag. The flap has the "silencer" mechanism with the velcro and that is a very good thing to have in many places. The strap pad is very comfortable and, at least for me, the bag sits nicely where it is supposed to and it is not a bother to carry for longer periods of time (no, I would not go jogging or doing sports with it, it is not made for that). And there is the added bonus that it does not screams "camera bag" from looking at it. Even my wife, when she held it for me a couple of times, remarked how comfortable the bag was (with the D-600 with Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 attached inside it).

Having said that, let me divide this in two parts:

First for the mirrorless and small DSLR crowd - it is a good sized bag and I was able to take my Fuji X-Pro 1 with the 35mm attached + 60mm lens + extra batteries on the loose inside side pockets (don't like this aspect of it...). On the front compartment I took a couple of filters a cleaning pen and the rain cover which I have never used. It is sufficiently padded and offers good protection for the camera.

Now, for the BIG DSLR owners... I thought I would have to give this bag as a gift when I got my Nikon D600, even though I loved it. But, to my surprise, the D600 fits with the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 attached just fine. You won't have space for anything else (I'm buying a Retrospective 20 for that) but for a day shoot with just one lens it is perfect. If you put the camera lying down sideways it fits perfectly, but mostly I used it with the camera "standing". The flap closes fine and for those hours when you are just taking it out or putting back in repeatedly, it's great.

Obs: when using the Nikon D600 I need to take all padding out. I guess I could put it beneath the camera for extra protection, but I feel it is just good as it is, never thought twice about the amount of protection I got. Also, for the plane rides, the camera was inside my Pelican case and this became my "messenger bag", with documents, my Ipad, a pocket sized book, candies, toothbrush and other stuff, so I didn't need to get my overhead bag for nothing.

Obs 2: the inside zipper pocket and outside back pocket on this bag are, in my humble opinion, useless for anything other than a map, perhaps one or two filters. I used it for that end, carrying the city maps of were we were, plus tickets, cleaning pen and tissue for the lens and a circular polarizer.

To sum it up: again in caps to reinforce it THIS IS A VERY, VERY GOOD QUALITY BAG, you are getting what you are paying for, trust me. I based on it and the other bags I've seen and the other one I'm buying, I would definitely recommend any product from them. I've owned more than 20 camera bags in the recent years and this ranks at the top in terms of quality.

OBS: I've recently parted ways with this Retrospective (gave it to my mom for her Sony NEX system) and bought a Think Tank CityWalker 10 Messenger Bag, Blue Slate Nylon, to go with a Think Tank - Sling-O-Matic 10 Sling Camera Bag. A great combination for travel, as it gives me lots of room and 2 day bags to choose from for my camera gear.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]