Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet and Clank Revived, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus - PS3 (Video Game)
If you're a Ratchet and Clank fan, then chances are you've been pretty disappointed these last few years. Ever since A Crack in Time, the series has progressively declined. They even started featuring the Lombax hero in cheesy Playstation Move titles just to make them sell better. Whenever I originally saw the trailer for Into the Nexus, the comments were filled with people who wanted them to cancel the series for good. In fact, when I went to pick up this game from my local Gamestop, they told me I was the only one in my town that pre-ordered this game. But that didn't stop me. I went home and tried my luck. And you know what? This was the most fun I've had playing a Ratchet and Clank game since Up Your Arsenal!

Story: Ratchet is on board a prison ship carrying a deadly criminal named Vendra. Vendra's goal is to use a reverse dimensionator to bring her species into our world. When Vendra's twin brother springs Vendra, it's up to Ratchet and Clank to stop her before she brings the Nether and their terrifying leader, Mr. Eye, into our world and destroying the galaxy!

Gameplay: Now on to the good stuff. Like all Ratchet and Clank games, Insomniac likes to experiment with new elements into each of their games, this one, focuses on a zero gravity element. You have unique shoes that allow you to pull yourself onto certain platforms and perform gravity jumps to other platforms. Also, about 2 levels in, you get your hands on a modified Levitator (This game has a lot of Going Commando's influence) which allows you to fly as long as you have fuel and fight in mid-air. All of these elements are exceptionally well done. I really hope they keep all these elements in the future games, the modified levitator is my personal favorite, they basically perfected mid-air combat, a feat most gaming companies have never accomplished. The gravity jumps are also very fun. The first level which had a large amount of these, was just incredible. There will even be certain bosses where you have to fight upside down, which is a blast to do. These elements keep the Gameplay fresh and inviting.

Music: Beautifully crafted orchestral pieces for every aspect of this game. Whether it be the doom music when you fire the RYNO, or the cheesy market music when you go in and upgrade or purchase a weapon. It's all here, it makes for a really in depth experience.

Weapons: I figured a Ratchet and Clank game review deserves a separate section for weapons, since that's half their charm. And you'll be happy to know, that there was not one weapon in this game that I hated leveling up. Unlike most of the Ratchet and Clank games of the past, every weapon in this game is fun to use. There are no silly gimmicks like useless holo-shield launchers, or the frustrating self steering tornadoes, these weapons are all unique and fun to use.

Verdict: This game is a masterpiece. Before playing this game, I didn't have high hopes. But now, I'm itching for more. Sadly this game is very short. (6 hours on normal difficulty, 8 hours on legendary/ hard, and about 5 hours if you don't go back and complete all the mini-missions) I could not put this game down until I unlocked all the trophies, and I still have a lot more skill points to unlock. This game gives me a lot of hope for the PS4 generation, and you have no excuses not to buy it, it's $30, what do you have to lose? It even includes a voucher for their $15 mini-game Quest for Booty. Ratchet and Clank are back! :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2013 8:45:44 AM PST
Smily Frodo says:
Alright, your review really got me more excited for this game. I am just finishing Ratchet and Clank 1-3, and the Future trilogy again on Challenge mode. As soon as I am done with them Ill be getting this masterpiece.

Thanks for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2013 9:35:33 PM PST
Condor says:
This game came with a voucher for the quest for booty game. Didnt it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2014 8:28:31 PM PST
ISGaudio says:
Yes, I got mine at Gamestop, but in the Amazon description for this product it says that they also ship with a Quest for Booty voucher.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2014 7:27:16 PM PST
If you buy the game digitally, it also includes Quest for Booty.

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 10:02:05 AM PST
Benjamin says:
HUh? Every game they've made has gotten better. A Crack In Time was the best one they made thus far. What are you talking about the games being in "decline"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2015 9:32:37 AM PST
ISGaudio says:
I said in decline since A Crack in time. Perhaps I should have worded it better, A Crack in Time was their last good Ratchet and Clank game before this gem came along. Full Frontal Assault and All for One are the games that I'm referring to. They weren't bad games, but there are not nearly on the same level of quality that I expect from a Ratchet and Clank game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›