5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book...great recipes!, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Jerusalem: A Cookbook (Hardcover)
The recipes in this book are so tasty. My family is really enjoying the food. I have made the following:

Chicken with Caramelized onion & cardamom-- very good!
Basmat & wild rice with chickpeas, currants & herbs--outstanding...loved it! The recipe does not specify the type of curry powder so I used a mild madras curry, which was excellent in this dish.
Basic hummus--another outstanding recipe. This is the best hummus I have ever had. It is very smooth and creamy and well seasoned. I used a 1/2 cup of tahini paste instead of a full cup. That works for my taste buds but I may increase it next time. In any case, this was better than any I've ever had at a restaurant or made at home. Cooking the dried chickpeas along with the technique yielded excellent results.

Next on my list is the turkey & zucchini burgers with green onion and cumin. I can't wait to cook my way through this book. The food is fresh and healthy for the most part...lots of veggies, beans, and whole grains. I believe there is something for everyone. I should point out that a few ingredients like sumac or tahini may be found at select stores. I applaud the collaboration of Mr. Ottolenghi and Mr. Tamimi. It's lovely to see such respect. It' even better to learn and experience the "immense tapestry of cuisines" that makeup Jerusalem.

Update: The turkey and zucchini burgers were great. I have also made the Chicken with Arak (I used Pernod) and Clementines. This dish had a fabulous flavor combination. The spinach salad with dates, pita, almonds and red onion was also phenomenal. All in all, eveything I have tried has been an absolute winner. The unique flavor combinations are delicious. This is a standout cookbook!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 5:40:29 PM PST
Hey Kathy,

I tried the chicken with carmelized onions and cardamom rice as well and found that both the chicken and rice wound up undercooked. Did you get a similar result or did it work out better for you? Trying to figure out what I did wrong!

Thanks,
Olivia

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:06:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 10:07:40 PM PST
Olivia, follow the instructions for the rice to the letter. It is very important to have a tight fitting lid , and cover with the towel - although I found that a two-sheet Browny towel will work very well, not drawing that much of the humidity from the rice. Also very important is to use basmati rice, not a substitute. True, the rice will seem "dry" but it is really cooked through, taste and texture just like in Jerusalem... Good luck, and enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:13:21 PM PST
Kathy says:
Olivia, my rice and chicken turned out very well. I used basmati rice and followed the recipe exactly. However, I always wash my rice in cold water to remove excess starch. This helps each grain remain fluffy and not sticky. After I wash the rice, I let it drain for a few minutes and then proceed with the recipe. It turned out well and I know I'll make this recipe again soon. Good luck!

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 3:58:16 PM PST
euphonically says:
while i have no doubt this book is good (i have two others by the other), it's nice to see a review where someone actually cooked some of the recipes.

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 10:54:22 AM PDT
myrna-ann says:
I tried the turkey and zucchini burgers, and the dish was wonderful. It way exceeded my expectations. We loved the spicing. Next up will be the chicken with carmelized onion and the sofritto chicken. So far I have used a library copy; but I intend to buy the book soon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (702 customer reviews)

$35.00 $19.74