4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Nokia, October 23, 2010
This review is from: Nokia E5-00 Unlocked GSM Phone with Easy E-mail Setup, IM, QWERTY, 5 MP Camera, Ovi Store with Apps, and Free Ovi Maps Navigation (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I've been a loyal Nokia user since the 8860. They have just always been fun, straight forward and easy to use phones. The only thing Nokia lacks here in the USA is the customization options that the rest of the world enjoys on a daily basis. Most phones are locked down by carriers and rebranded with their own applications here in the US. This unlocked GSM capable Nokia makes that a thing of the past. Don't want to pay AT&T for an internet fee and a GPS navigation fee? Done. Want to delete whatever programs you wish from the phone? Done. Want to download apps that directly compete and are better than the ones AT&T or T-Mobile force you to use? Done.

Calls come through loud and clear on AT&T's network. I have full 3G coverage and have yet to drop a call. When using the internet away from a WiFi network, you get access to AT&T's speedy 3.5G network. 3.5G comes in very handy when using the free GPS turn by turn navigation. Yes, outside the US Nokia has been doing this for ages. It's the greedy US carriers that have blocked it all these years. Not anymore with an unlocked phone from Nokia, although you still need a data plan from your carrier. Battery life is great too, but that's expected from Nokia.

Messaging works great with easy access to received and sent texts, and the keyboard makes for speedy typing. Plus several of the keys have very handy shortcuts to commonly used features such as bluetooth, emoticons (smileys) , and a flashlight.

WiFi is a breeze to use. You can view networks in range and even set priority levels for which ones you prefer to use. The screen is a little small to be your go to surfing device, but it's more than competent for checking email, posting on facebook, and looking up sports scores.

The device also comes with a mobile version of Microsoft Office document reader. This is extremely handy for the mobile professional.

One other great thing about this unlocked phone is that you can listen to FM or internet radio. I have missed this feature since AT&T began locking their phones down around the time of the Cingular branded Nokia 6230 (my still going strong backup phone). Pair this with a 3.5mm headphone jack and the more than capable music player, and you have yourself a nice little music phone.

The only complaint I have with this phone is the cheaper TFT screen Nokia used to keep the cost down. This does cause the screen to become washed out in direct sunlight, but only from one side. It's weird, if you tilt the phone to the left, the screen stays bright, but when you tilt the phone to the right, the screen becomes washed out. With that said, I live in Denver where we get over 300 days of sun every year. I have yet to be in a situation where I could not read the screen. If its too dark you can simply change your theme to a brighter, more colorful one to help with visibility.

Pros:
Rock solid construction
3G and 3.5G coverage
WiFi
FREE GPS TURN BY TURN NAVIGATION FOR LIFE
QWERTY keyboard with shortcuts
Flashlight
Install and delete apps
Fully customizable themes
Battery Life

Cons:
Micro-SD card is under the battery
S-60 Symbian has a higher learning curve
Screen not up to par with current smart phones

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2010 6:31:01 PM PDT
You actually DON'T need a data plan to use the GPS navigation of any GPS enabled Nokia phone, that's the beauty of it. You can download and store any of your maps locally on the phone's microSD card and use the navigation purely with satellites. No data connection required. The entire USA will fit on the 2GB microSD this phone comes with....in fact, it should come preloaded with the entire USA maps. You can easily change which maps you are carrying around with you via the desktop software Ovi Suite. For example I just have Vermont loaded on and it takes up about 25MB!! (Yes, we're a small state...LOL). Given that Nokia seems to have maps of just about the entire planet, it's really quite awesome!

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 11:11:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2010 11:14:56 PM PST
Howard says:
HELP PLEASE ! All i do is talk on a gsm network, send and get text messages, use a blue tooth and WOULD LIKE a phone with GPS where I can add maps for SOUTH AMERICA when i travel there. I donīt want a data plan. SO WILL THIS PHONE WORK FOR ME? OR is there a better phone i should look at to suit my needs. I donīt do any business stuff via a cell phone. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !

ALMOST FORGOT, I am retired and am not a computer expert or tech type person. So complicated gadgets get me frustrated. I donīt mind of the phone has features I wonīt use but I donīt want to over buy or under buy if i decide in the future i might want some of the extra features like checking my email or getting the local weather forcast ect. But i donīthink i will ever be surfing the web on a cell phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 6:15:44 AM PST
I think you'll be fine. The MAJOR advantage of Nokia phones with GPS is that they can have maps loaded locally on a memory card. This saves a MASSIVE amount of data when using the GPS maps application. In fact there is an option in setting to turn any connection to the internet off so the map application is purely using satellites.

The E5 is generally pretty easy to use and even if you don't use the email feature initially, it's very simple to set up for most of the major public email providers (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail), it really does walk you through the process.

Cons I have come across so far - the menu system does take a little getting used to, you have to really dig sometimes to find settings and they are not always where you logically would expect them to be. Also, the 'destinations' feature which allows you to set up 'access points' for conecting to the web is not that user friendly. It really boils down to simply setting up a series of ways to connect to the internet in the order of preference you want (i.e wi-fi first, if no wif-fi then 3G etc.) I feel they could have made this a little more simple. Not a problem for me as I am very technically proficient but I could see how someone less so would get confused.

Still, all in all I have been very happy with this phone. It's got a lot going for it and at the price point is a definate alternative to the overpriced Blackberry's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 7:24:36 AM PST
Howard says:
THANKS ANDREW for your reply. If I could use the free WI FI to occasionally check for email messages when I am out of country, use the GPS and a pre paid sim chip when traveling, that is all I would need. Do you know if I can add and use SKYPE on this phone? I have a SKYPE account I use to call one Son who works in S. America. Like I said, I am retired so I donīt talk a bunch on the phone. Just keep up with family and the grand kids. Those data plans are just so darn expensive, I donīt want to buy them. Woule be nice to keep a calander of birthdays and dr appointments like a PDA on the phone. ONE importand thing for me is VOLUME. Am a bit hard of hearing and my Motorola is not so good. My son got me a Blue Ant head set and that really helps. THANKS AGAIN for your review. I was looking at the E71 but another reviewer said he switched from the E71 to this model and liked it better. Just so hard to decide, so many models it sure gets confusing, especially for someone who doesnīt use a phone to surf the internet, play games or listen to music on a phone. THANKS for your time !

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 9:15:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2010 9:16:33 AM PST
No problem. You can use any GSM network prepaid SIM as this is a quadband GSM phone and will ork on any GSM network. It's also triband for 3G so you'll get high speed data access just about anywhere that uses 3G as well. Wi-Fi is always a bonus and if there are free wi-fi hotspots then you're golden.

Skype access is now getting tricky as it seems as though Skype is pulling all 3rd party application support. You used to be able to connect to Skype through programs like Nimbuzz and Fring but not any more. There is an official Symbian Skype app but it says it does not currently support E5, which is weird as E72 IS listed and these phones use the same version of Symbian. Hopefully Skype will quickly expand it's app to all Symbian platforms and devices.

I personally find volume to be satisfctory onthis phone.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 6:32:15 PM PST
Howard says:
OK, am about to order two of these phones. One for me and one for the wife. I noticed someone today with a blackberry and they had some type of rubber protector around the phone, almost like a 360 degree bumper pad. It looked like it just protected the outer edges of the phone. Kind of like what you see on the old style bumper cars at the amusement park. Thats the best way I can explain it. Anyway, is anyone using anything like this to protect their phone or is there a specific type case that would be good?

THANKS in advance for your help !

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 5:34:12 AM PST
You can get rubber cases for dirt cheap from ebay. I started off with one of these. I also recommend a screen protector as the screen is plastic and will scratch very easily! Two places that do the 'skin' type protectors (which I favor) are DecalGirl and Bodyguardz.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 5:04:37 PM PST
Howard says:
Andrew, I think I found the reason SKYPE wonīt work on the new E5. Got this from WIKI....

S60 3rd Edition
(S60v3) uses a hardened version of Symbian OS (v9.1), which has mandatory code signing. In S60v3, a user may install only programs that have a certificate from a registered developer, unless the user disables that feature or modify the phone's firmware through third-party hacks that circumvent the mandatory signing restrictions. This makes software written for S60 1st Edition or 2nd Edition not binary-compatible with S60v3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 6:36:35 PM PST
Hmmm, not sure about that. There is an official Skype app out there and it works with the E72 but is not available for the E5 which doesn't make any sense as they run the same OS. It seems pretty obvious after reading several blogs and forums that the reason Skype has pulled support for 3rd party apps like Fring and Nimbuzz is purely corporate logic, they are just getting all precious about it. Shame, as Nimbuzz is a great chat client.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 6:43:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2010 6:43:58 PM PST
Howard says:
Found the following that says it should work, evidently developed by Skype, guess will just have to wait till the phones are delivered and see if it works. If the link I added below wonīt open, try going to the 3 wīs skype com/m and see if it will load. It talks about the E71 and E72 but not the E5. Go figure.

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›