5.0 out of 5 stars A classic design that makes top quality popcorn, February 21, 2001
This review is from: West Bend 82306 Stir Crazy 6-Quart Electric Popcorn Popper (Kitchen)
Tried air poppers; blech, styrofoam pellets would taste about as good. Microwave corn; too much salt and "butter" in the packets, plus they cost a lot. Popping in a saucepan on the stove; horrible to clean afterwards and it burns. Microwave poppers; don't get me started.

THIS is the one. The first one I had was in the dorm in college (one with the yellow bowl.) I think we bought it together for the whole floor. And this is still the best popper on the market, decades later.

It does make a difference if you use GOOD popcorn (you know the one I mean, Mr. R's best) and at least FRESH popcorn. And the touch of oil used in the popping makes the popcorn taste wonderful. We sometimes use olive oil for a special taste treat. Anyway you pop it, this is a great device.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2007 9:17:33 AM PDT
book fan says:
I wholehaeartedly agree with this review

Posted on Oct 16, 2008 10:46:02 AM PDT
Ozzy Bear says:
My mom had one of these years ago, and I found that the popcorn always came out better if the lid stayed off during the popping process. It allowed the steam to vent to give less chewy popcorn. I agree that this is a great popcorn popper. It reminds me of the popcorn I used to make as a kid on the stovetop, minus the lard of course!

Posted on Oct 20, 2008 7:16:09 PM PDT
Joanna, this is about as good a review as I've read here on Amazon. I don't know where your originally from, but I hear your words wrapped in a knowing and patient southern drawl. Can't help buy wonder if that's how it's written. Either way, I think I'm gonna git me one of these fine contraptions.

Posted on Nov 9, 2008 9:33:57 AM PST
I have a straight-up Midwest accent contaminated with a bit of MidAtlantic stuff. No drawl. Sorry.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 10:01:24 AM PST
YES!! I had a "yellow bowl" Stir-Crazy in college - used to make gallons of popcorn for "Saturday Night Live" parties in the TV room (back when SNL was still funny - that tells you how long ago it was -- think Gilda, Chevy, Dan, Jim, etc.). It died at some point and I got another "yellow bowl" model which I am still using.

I typically get a tablespoon or less of unpopped kernels using Orville Redenbacher's (which I keep in the freezer to keep fresh), and I bent the stirring rod up slightly to prevent it scraping the non-stick coating off of the cooking surface. I haven't tried leaving the butter lid off to vent the steam, as one reviewer suggests, but I'll give that a go next time I pull it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 4:21:55 PM PST
We had those SNL parties in grad school, so I must be older than you by a bit. There's evidence the micropop stuff isn't so good for you, so I like to make my own. We sometimes use olive oil for a really nice flavor.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,960 customer reviews)
 (1,247)

$45.99 $35.30
Reviewer

Joanna Daneman
(VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Location: USA